2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton - Consumer Reviews

2005 Phaeton Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Phaeton model:

Sort Reviews by

2005 Phaeton is Audi/Bentley indisguise
By bsdtwd

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Aside from a few switches, lack of auto chestnut covers on front air vents, massage ac/heated seats all the way around and about $80,000 you can SETTLE for an Audi A8L or a Bentley Flying Spur. The Phaeton is amazing. All the above, with soft close doors, a 270 Watt Bose 17 speaker system, a great manu shift tranny w/ AWD makes it a dream car in stealth mode. Best thing I've ever driven. A True Luxury Rocket. Found a 2005 with 29k miles. Gotta go drive it. Get'em before they're gone. Best Lux Bargain Going. VW should try again with 2013. Sells well in Europe. Bring on the auto bahn.

Favorite Features

Best interior ever. Double pane glass. Bentley/Audi specs and quality and even more on the cheap. Don't tell your neighbors.

Suggested Improvements

Remote start. Not available and impossible after market due to car's complexity. Key must be in slot or no go.

Those who know it - appreciate it.
By russell

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Beautiful exterior; drive for sport, drive for comfort, in the rain, sleet and snow it's a champ, enjoy the sound system, massaging seats and share the story with those many inquirers. Some quirky issues correctly identified by other reviews just cannot outweigh the value of buying this car with some gentle miles, and really enjoying it. It's one of the few unique vehicles that not pretentious, but is truly luxurious.

Phaeton vanishes from US market
By Christopher De Jonge

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I enjoy my Phaeton. It has beautiful interior trim. The exterior is sleek and muscular. The handling is sub-optimal, however I am used to more sport drive handling. It is a gas-guzzler. Perhaps the most disconcerting thing is that 2006 will be the last year for new model Phaetons. Already the resale value has tanked. Further, I question whether parts might be hard to obtain.

Mercedes vs. Phaeton
By Marlene

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My husband and I have owned Mercedes in the past. We test drove the Phaeton a month after leasing our Toureag. We found it to be far superior to the Mercedes in handling, comfort, room, GPS system easier to use and comparable in price. We were more comfortable with the sales personel at VW and service was much more accommodating. Love it, hope to never have to go back to a Mercedes

Favorite Features

The leg room, navigation system, excellent stereo, ample seat room, and quiet engine.

The People's Luxury Car
By Maxwell Stein

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

While some would argue that VW is the maker of inexpensive economy cars, it has been gradually making its way upmarket. The Phaeton is the company's attempt to match Mercedes and BMW's flagship sedans directly. For the most part, the experiment works. The Phaeton can best be appreciated from the inside-out where the driver and passengers are coddled in top-quality materials and a pleasant environment. The styling is sublimely understated to the point where it might be considered the Passat's big brother. Still, it won't confuse anyone out there with an S-class or 7-series. Its performance is quietly competent but certainly no M-5 bahn-burner.

Favorite Features

The fantastic seats, great dashboard and interior environment. The exterior paint is as close to flawless as one gets.

Suggested Improvements

If the VW was perhaps $10,000 or so less expensive, it would then be a major value. Otherwise, one would be concerned as to its market depreciation - it might be safer buying the Bimmer. W12 engine is a HUGE step up in performance but also price.

Best Car under $150,000
By GripperDon

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I owned every luxury German car brand there is, plus some great Asian cars. This is the best bar none. The importer did a poor job of promoting the car and nobody know how good it is. VW has treaded the Phaeton a bit better in Europe, but their problems in the USA have caused it to be cancelled. They really hosed the owners, but this car is hard to belive. Its build quality is utterly fanstastic. It drives great, quiet and smooth with great handling, ride and acoustics. What a sound system.

Favorite Features

I love the build quality, materials quality, interior room, conseravite styling, engine and transmission smoothness.

Suggested Improvements

Change the navigation system to make it DVD based, upgrade the CD changer to play MP3 files and provide Aux inputs for iPod, etc. That's, it everything else is perfect.

Pleasant surprise
By De Jonge

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I happened upon this vehicle by chance and am very happy for the outcome. I am very impressed by the engine muscle, interior comfort and subdued exterior design - not in to the 'prestige vehicle' badges. The car wants to go at speeds more compatible with its design. I have a hard time keeping it under 80 mph. Indeed, in one instance I was pressed to accelerate only briefly and quickly reached 120 mph. Its fuel economy is not good, with average city driving yielding about 16.5 - 17.0 mpg. I always look for excuses to drive this car - a wonderful feeling. I also look forward to my first road trip - should be fantastic!

2005 Phaeton
By julie foster

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan W12 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

I have never owned a more luxurious vehicle. It has every option you could possibbly ask for in an up scale auto. The ride is as quite as any Cadilac, Mercedes, or BMW we have owned over the years. This is truley the auto buy of the decade.

Favorite Features

The quite powerful ride is unbeliveable.

Suggested Improvements

The navigation system is hard to program.

An Outstanding Luxury Vehicle
By RAD

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan w/4 Seats (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great car. I have owned BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Lexus etc. Undoubtedly, this is the most luxurious, elegant, unpretentious (which suits me), best riding, quiet car of all. I wanted an all wheel drive luxury car and VW has come through in spades. I am looking to a Bentley but when comparing it to the Phaeton find it difficult to justify the higher price and can't imagine the build quality could be that much superior.

Favorite Features

The solid ride and comfort of this car excels. The radio is superb. I enjoy the flexibility of the suspension settings to suit the road conditions. Excellent heating/ventilation controls. The solidity and feel of this car is all I could ask for. Mileage is better than I expected.

Suggested Improvements

The power window controls are a bit of a stretch. A DVD Navigation system would be more convenient than the multiple CD based unit.

Coco Grey Beauty
By Mr. Adams

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great full sized luxury car I wish that the gas milage was better. This car has more standard features than the Mercedes S-Class and the BMW 7-Series. When it comes to comfort If I am not driving I am in the back seat where I can really stretch out my legs. I like owning a car that is unique and not seen very often. Since I have had my car I have only seen 3 Phaetons on the road and this makes the car special.

Favorite Features

I like the size of the interior, overall comfort, turning radius, All Wheel drive and styling.

Suggested Improvements

Setting a destination in the navigation is a bit slow, the alpha numberic system is navigated with a dial.