2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Consumer Review: Perfect except for Tire Pressu

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton - Consumer Review

Perfect except for Tire Pressure Monitor
By Donn Weinberg on

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I love my Phaeton. It is great- looking, handles and drives beautifully, provides the ultimate in creature comforts, has the upgraded sound system, etc. My only problems have been two. The minor one: the fancy windshield wiper system had to be changed for a standard system, which works fine. The annoying one: after 4-5 times in the shop and two complete replacements of the tire pressure monitoring module, the system insists on flashing either a flat "tire" and/or a fault in the wheel -- this even when my hand-held digital pressure monitor shows equal pressures on the front tires and on the back tires. Still not right. MPG really is 22 if all highway, 16 in mixed driving.

The drive; the seats (with massage!); lots of backseat leg room; audio system; climate system; exterior and interior appearance. For such a big car, it is very nimble, with a tight turning radius and immediate throttle response when you really need it. The nav system has two displays, which is nice.

The 2004 has a CD-based navigation system; a DVD-based system would be better. I also would prefer a touch- screen type of system, rather than the turn-knob type, but I can live with that.