Used 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton W12 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan

View reviews for a specific Phaeton model:

Best Car Ever
By CLM

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan W12 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

I am the past and present owner of at least two V-12 Mercedes-Benz models (a sedan and convertible) and the Phaeton surpasses both in every respect including, but not limited to price.

Favorite Features

The warm steering wheel is wonderful, the trip meter is fun and helpful, and the auto trunk is outstanding, I cannort find any faults with this car other than the fact that it is no longer being built.

Suggested Improvements

VW should not have associated this outstanding car with the Volkswagen brand.

The Best
By dubball

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan W12 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

Best car I have ever owned - and that includes 3 Mercedes-Benz S500s, a BMW M5, etc. My Porsche 911 cabriolet was perhaps the most fun (in Miami), but cannot imagine a better sedan. I test drove an Audi A8L and a BMW 7-Series, but this is the car. Its navigation system could be better, but everything else is great.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the navigation system.

Phaeton W12
By macknatt

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan W12 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

Arguably the best car made. Unfortunately the brand is too inhibitive for its success. People, who do their research and are not stuck on brand image, would have a very difficult time to buy anything else. Workmanship, and attention to detail is better than Lexus, or S- Class. The exterior is the only weak element, as it is rather plain. But in my case I am glad to go anywhere "in cognito". Otherwise, the road manners are second to none. The car is glued to the road, the ride is comfortable and there is always plenty of smooth power. The interior is quite as can be, and the wood and dash with the "indirect" climate system is fantastic. You can literally hear the pin drop at 80 mph.

Favorite Features

Super smooth, quite and powerful W12 engine, comfortable seats with heat & cool, the interior layout is nice, with plenty of wood. I really like the indirect climate system as well as the All wheel Drive system which is exceptional, etc...

Suggested Improvements

The electric trunk lid is a nice gizmo, but has its drawbacks when loading the trunk full, it won't close. Operation seems fragile, and you can't really use it manually. Make XM/Sirius Standard, offer a standard remote starter, include Bluetooth.

Best car I ever drove
By bernardo

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan W12 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

Terrific ride. Floats along without any effort at 100 mph. Never a problem mechanically. Awesome technology.

Favorite Features

Ease of driving. Fun technology.

Suggested Improvements

none

Great car
By bernies

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan W12 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

I have owned Jaguars, Mercedes, Lincolns, Cadillacs, the vw w12 Phaeton is the best auto I have owned. It is a fun car to drive. It is extremely comfortable, especially on long trips. The technology is awsome. The service by VW for this vehicle is the best I have ever received for a luxury car. The w12 engine is very responsive and it is hard to believe but better mileage than one would expect from a 12 cylinder engine. After 5000 miles I am getting 20 mpg on highway driving. I am simply deighted with this vehicle.