2016 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

VW
By john bannon

2016 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Happy to be back in the VW family.

Most sophisticated sedan in its calss
By john moran

2016 Volkswagen Passat Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

An affordable German car, Style, performance, technology! Nice drive and better than honda, hyndai, nissan, etc.

After the scam, a great car
By William Cook

2016 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought this car after a TDI buyout from VW. Very unhappy about that, but we figured we'd still get our best deal by buying the same car (Passat) with a standard gasoline engine. In the meantime, though, VW has added a wealth of premium safety features that make the trade a great deal. Automatic braking, adaptive cruise control, lane assist, blind spot monitoring and parking assist are all jaw-dropping, and to my mind, essential for anyone considering a new car today. The steering is silky-smooth, acceleration ho-hum, mileage frankly disappointing (after the amazing TDI figures), and road feel is a bit rougher than before. Fit and finish are great, and the car's premium features impeccable. Altogether, the SEL Premium is a great choice.

Staying with VW
By Esko Nopanen

2016 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Performance of the 1.8L turbo in combination with 6 speed auto transmission was the clincher in deciding to buy this vehicle. The technology in safety equipment and in the entertainment system also impressed me. The Passat replaces our TDI Jetta which will be in VW's buyback program later this year. So far, the Passat only has 300 miles on the odometer but already shows the same satisfying performance as the Jetta did over several years of driving.

Finally got a German engineered car
By harley

2016 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

As a road warrior I chose this car over a Chrysler 300, Taurus, and Charger as my sales car. I put 33K mi a year on my cars for business. Thought the 300 was descent for the last 4 years but my lower back hated that car in the end. I was very hesitant to go with the Passat due to the 170hp 4 banger after coming from 290hp 6 cylinder with the 300. But I am very pleasantly surprised about the 1.8T motor, torque, off the line and in traffic acceleration. So anyone worried about performance I will tell you it is pretty much everything you need power wise - no more and no less. The motor and 6 speed are very nicely suited for this car and how I intend to use it. I ultimately selected the Passat due to the safety technology such as emergency braking assist. It is a bit confusing though reading up on the technology to understand how it all works. For example - will it stop the car if a deer runs out in the road before I see it? Or that kid walking into the street playing Pokemon Go? I'm sure after 100K miles I'll find more to complain about but for now the only con is the cheap plastic turn signal. I do not understand how something that is touched and used so often was made so cheap feeling. Oh yeah if you want the nice turn signal you have to buy the Audi.