Unmatched TDI mileage, huge and comfortable, early build quality worries
By hercules00 on
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)
1) Mileage: You will get blown away - the EPA numbers are junk (as usual) but in the opposite direction of gas cars. Here you get more, a lot MORE than claimed.
Note: Hybrids will always outperform in stop and go city traffic. However, on the highway, diesels will blow hybrids away. The choice is thus dependent on driving environment.
2) The engine is silk smooth, once above 1.3k rpm.
3) The car is big, especially the back seat and the trunk.
4) Suspension is on the softer side and absorbs bumps very nicely.
5) Very low road noise
6) Have had a couple of squeeks and rattles from the dashboard in the first month. A little worried about build quality.
Some of the touchscreen controls and logic are bizarre. Eg, there should be some dedicated/direct controls for adjusting brightness especially when there is no auto dimming. Currently it takes multiple menu selections.
Likewise, the player defaults to CD even when Bluetooth was on when the car was switched off.
Finally, there is only a proprietary Apple connector and no USB connector.
The exposed trunk hinges and swing inside are very inconvenient.
† Edmunds.com received the highest numerical score in the proprietary J.D. Power 2014 Third-Party Automotive Website Evaluation Study℠. Results based on responses from 3,381 responses, measuring 14 companies and measures third-party automotive website usefulness among new and used vehicle shoppers. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of owners surveyed from January 2014. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.