My Dad's Volkswagen
By 2gtiguy on
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
Like the title says, this really is my dad's Volkswagen. I traded in my '12 GolfR for this after my dad's glowing review of his '13 TDI SE. This is my 4th VW, and I'm as happy as ever. Build quality is top notch, with a lux leather/suede combo for the seats, and upgraded faux woodgrain for the '14 model. Gas mileage (why we buy these) is better than advertised. On 85 miles of mixed driving yesterday, I averaged 43+mpg when I parked at my door. The Fender sound system is great, and Bluetooth seems more clear than in my GolfR. The leg room in the back is incredible, and there's quite a bit of trunk space (though not as much vertical space as you might hope). Overall, I'm thanking my dad.
Favorite Features
The gas mileage makes me smile every time I look at it (although it seems to take a pretty big hit in the really cold weather); the interior is even nicer than in my GolfR, and feels like a luxury car (at a great value); the cup holders have retracting nubs that hold cups of various size securely in place; RNS 510 (nag/media unit) has tons of features (it IS slower to respond than the 315, but you get used to it); the 140HP engine gets up just fine from a stop, and accelerating from 60mph to 70mph on the highway is fine (I usually don't even miss the speed racer GolfR).
Suggested Improvements
I wish the trunk were a little deeper, vertically; there's more road noise than I'd anticipated (it's nowhere near intolerable, but I am pretty sensitive to noises when driving); while I said one can get used to the lag on the RNS 510, I still think VW SHOULD be able to fix that in future versions; the doors are all typically VW heavy when being closed, but the trunk lid sounds like you're shutting the hatch on a 1980's bargain ride. VW could add some heft to the trunk lid for the sake of consistency in sensory experience.