2014 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2014 Volkswagen Passat Diesel

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Most Helpful|
Great fun & economical car.
73,789 of 73,816 people found this review helpful
By flagman2

2014 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Looks great, responsive in acceleration, handling, and braking. Had it about a month. Previous cars were Camry XLE V6 and Infiniti I30. VW has a 110+ wheelbase which gives it a better ride than my Camry. The 2.0 TDI is responsive - 3.9 torque and breaks loose if not careful. Ride is quiet on 18" wheels. Previous reviewer got a Base model, with a 5 cylinder engine. If he paid $32k it was well over List Price!

Favorite Features

TDI engine, Steering and handling response, ride, low noise level, 6 speed DSG transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Offer protective color keyed body side molding as an option. Bought mine aftermarket via Web and had my mechanic install it.

2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium, Automatic: 3 Months / 7K Miles
By jones1972

2014 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Researching The Cost: I researched and test drove many vehicles, including Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Lexus Hybrids, Honda Hybrids and even some fuel efficient Buicks. I considered that if I was going to get a car that had great gas mileage, then the sticker price had also better make sense. I didnít want to pay an extra $8k for a car that would save me only $2k in fuel costs. So, it had to make sense base upon sticker price, residual value and fuel economy. The Passat came out ahead because the car was less expensive than the others (even loaded), and had an acceptable high fuel economy.

Favorite Features

Drive: I love the drive of the TDI Passat. In fact, I find myself anxious to drive it to work. Itís much sportier than anything Iíve ever owned. Fuel Economy: I have about 7K miles on my Passat after three months. I track all my fuel ups with an iPhone app, and I watch my mileage closely while traveling. Iíve had 13 fill ups so far, and my average mileage has been right about 40MPG. Stereo: Well, let me tell you, the Fender system rocks the house. Hands down the best audio system that Iíve heard in a car. The sound is clean, crisp and truly envelopes the listener. Space: This car has more space than anyone could want. Itís surely the roomiest car that Iíve owned.

Suggested Improvements

CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little more updated and crisp, especially for the instrument cluster. Honestly, I like the body style of the CC better than the Passat. If they made a TDI CC, then I might just switch. I feel that the leather appointments are fairly scarce, and the plastic seems a little cheap. I wish they would equip these cars with a full size tire in the trunk instead of the donut. There is too long of a delay between starting the car and the rearview camera coming on. I wish the car had backup sensors.

My Dad's Volkswagen
By 2gtiguy

Like the title says, this really is my dad's Volkswagen. I traded in my '12 GolfR for this after my dad's glowing review of his '13 TDI SE. This is my 4th VW, and I'm as happy as ever. Build quality is top notch, with a lux leather/suede combo for the seats, and upgraded faux woodgrain for the '14 model. Gas mileage (why we buy these) is better than advertised. On 85 miles of mixed driving yesterday, I averaged 43+mpg when I parked at my door. The Fender sound system is great, and Bluetooth seems more clear than in my GolfR. The leg room in the back is incredible, and there's quite a bit of trunk space (though not as much vertical space as you might hope). Overall, I'm thanking my dad.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage makes me smile every time I look at it (although it seems to take a pretty big hit in the really cold weather); the interior is even nicer than in my GolfR, and feels like a luxury car (at a great value); the cup holders have retracting nubs that hold cups of various size securely in place; RNS 510 (nag/media unit) has tons of features (it IS slower to respond than the 315, but you get used to it); the 140HP engine gets up just fine from a stop, and accelerating from 60mph to 70mph on the highway is fine (I usually don't even miss the speed racer GolfR).

Suggested Improvements

I wish the trunk were a little deeper, vertically; there's more road noise than I'd anticipated (it's nowhere near intolerable, but I am pretty sensitive to noises when driving); while I said one can get used to the lag on the RNS 510, I still think VW SHOULD be able to fix that in future versions; the doors are all typically VW heavy when being closed, but the trunk lid sounds like you're shutting the hatch on a 1980's bargain ride. VW could add some heft to the trunk lid for the sake of consistency in sensory experience.

Unmatched TDI mileage, huge and comfortable, early build quality worries
By hercules00

2014 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

1) Mileage: You will get blown away - the EPA numbers are junk (as usual) but in the opposite direction of gas cars. Here you get more, a lot MORE than claimed. Note: Hybrids will always outperform in stop and go city traffic. However, on the highway, diesels will blow hybrids away. The choice is thus dependent on driving environment. 2) The engine is silk smooth, once above 1.3k rpm. 3) The car is big, especially the back seat and the trunk. 4) Suspension is on the softer side and absorbs bumps very nicely. 5) Very low road noise 6) Have had a couple of squeeks and rattles from the dashboard in the first month. A little worried about build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the touchscreen controls and logic are bizarre. Eg, there should be some dedicated/direct controls for adjusting brightness especially when there is no auto dimming. Currently it takes multiple menu selections. Likewise, the player defaults to CD even when Bluetooth was on when the car was switched off. Finally, there is only a proprietary Apple connector and no USB connector. The exposed trunk hinges and swing inside are very inconvenient.

Exceeds Expectaions
By dankocke

Having gone through literally a dozen or more of newer type cars over the last decade I can safely say that this car lives up to and exceeds expectations. No car is perfect and there are a couple of annoyances such as the traction control (too intrusive), or the slow navigation unit; but car is fantastic. I've had it 2 months and average right at 40mpg all the time. I just took it on a 1100 mile trip and averaged 42mpg going between 75 and 84 mph. Also, acceleration is great all around. This is only the third car I've owned that exceeded gas mileage (others were 2013 Mercedes and 2008 Golf GTI). Overall the car is solid with no rattles. It's an excellent family car.

Suggested Improvements

better responding Navigation/radio unit.