Used 2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2014 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Worst vehicle I've ever had
By Smitty

2014 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The NAV is not user friendly. When you enter the car, the media plays whatever it wants to even if your apps aren't open. The display changes from whatever setting you've selected to show that you're making a call and to whom you're calling; so if you had it set on the speed you have to change it back after starting or ending the call. As soon as the a/c was out of warranty the compressor went out. I have had it replaced less than a week and it's gone out again. Besides the fact that my TDI has no value because of the lies the company told, the car is a piece of crap.

My first VW - 2014 Passat 1.8L T
By Jeff D.

2014 Volkswagen Passat Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 1/14 (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have test drove several used or certified VW vehicles in last month (Passat diesel 2.0L, Passat 2.5 L Manual, Passat 2.5L Auto, and Jetta 2.5 L Auto). I was able to test drive the 1.8L Turbo automatic - and I was sold as soon has I hit the gas pedal. It has great acceleration. After my first week of driving I was able to drive +400 miles for city and some highway driving. I filled up with 1/4 tank of gas and it cost me less than $24.00. The electronics (cluster, radio, and Hvac are decent). I picked the VW becuase of the simple styling. I chose the Passat over the Jetta due to additional space. I am very happy with my purchase. I hope to be a VW consumer for a long time. :)

Car to catch
By Christopher encinas

2014 Volkswagen Passat S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I travel a lot and rent a lot this is the best car i have ever driven and i have driven some of the best makes and model

4 Time Passat Offender
By Scott

2014 Volkswagen Passat Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have many years and miles of Volkswagen ownership under my belt. I simply like the feel behind the wheel of the Volkswagens; firm ride, tight cornering and firm comfortable seats. My experience with the brand is nearly 100% positive. I do take an interest understanding key maintenance issues as recommended by my independent VW mechanic. Keys to successful ownership include using synthetic oil, Top Tier gas brands and ethanol free fuel if you are really committed.

The Passat 1.8 TSI engine coupled with the smooth shifting 6 speed automatic transmission is an impressive combination. The engines ability to hit pick torque at very low RPM's got me over my believe I would never settle for anything less than a V6 engine. The 1.8 TSI engine delivers brisk acceleration and excellent gas mileage. The option to manually shift plus the sport mode give the extra driver engagement I enjoy in the brand. In suburban driving I average around 28 MPG. I have gone as high as 39 MPG on an 800 mile freeway trip with cruise set between 70 and 80 MPH. One observation is that at 45 miles per hour the transmission goes into 6th gear taking the engine down to 1200 RPM. This low engine speed can cause the engine to lug. I generally do not worry about it. An option to avoid the lugging is to run in sport mode if you are spending a good deal of time at 45 MPH.

I love the subtle look of the spacious interior. I like the classy exterior but I find it a little boring. I am not the type who craves extra attention. The Wolfsburg addition is the second least equipped version of the Passat but it has the modern essentials including heated faux leather driver and passenger seats (power seat for the driver) and steering wheel controls for the radio. I love Volkswagen's trip computer system.

Those who desire more electronic engagement in their cars will find the radio system inadequate at least in Wolfsburg addition. Stepping up to the SE level solves some of the short coming with the electronics like a navigation option and backup camera. Had I been able to find a nice deal on an SE, I would have stepped up to the next level.

One other note, the Hankook tires that came from the factory are a poor option. I expect when I switch to my preferred brand (Toyo), the ride, handling and cabin noise will be even better.

As good as a BMW - but half the price
By Max

2014 Volkswagen Passat S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I am used to driving BMW's and Jaguars for the last 25 years. I bought this car after having a Jetta for a year and I loved it but wanted a bigger, heavier car with more bells and whistles so I traded it for this PASSAT. I LOVE THIS CAR! I am tall and long legged and It's extremely comfortable, has all I could ask for except leather and a sunroof, but with rear camera, bluetooth, MP3 and iPod, heated seats and it performs beautifully and extremely reliably EVERY DAY and gets great gas mileage and needs NOTHING and the warranty and included service at the dealerships are great. This car just works flawlessly and is a great performer on the road. It's never needed to go into the dealership for anything except scheduled maintenance and I have several dealerships to go to and they are all EXCELLENT AND TAKE FANTASTIC CARE OF YOU. Customer service is as good as my BMW's and Jaguars. Aside from whatever diesel scandal VW had they have designed, built and taken great care of a really solid, well made and VERY stable car on the road. Loved my BMW's but this gives me everything for less than HALF the cost of a comparable BMW. I bought this a as a preowned dealer car with only 7,000 miles and included the VW 60,000 mile warranty. I saved about $7,500 buying it pre-owned and it is exactly like a brand new car. I will never buy a new car again. (I bought my last Jaguar convertible less than a year old with factory extended warranty and saved $30,000 over the cost of the exact same car brand new) Let someone else take the first year hit on depreciation.