Very balanced car
By burbach on
2013 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)
Very balanced, with excellent mileage for a larger gas powered car. (I confess to being hooked on the computer's fuel consumption feature, short of being a hyper miler. Best on my 30+ mile commute on country roads has been 34.7 mpg.) The 5 speed is well matched - the engine turns at 2000 rpm at 60 mph. Very quiet at 80 mph, with 30+ mpg even at that speed. Nice radio, simple to use.
Favorite Features
Heated seats. Sensible controls. Very smooth manual transmission, and good handling.Velcro trunk partition blocks. Lots of passenger room. Good mileage and responsive engine.
Suggested Improvements
Spare tire well layout seems to waste space, but trunk is pretty large regardless.
By springman
on 01/26/14 10:57 AM (PST)

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

By burbach
on 07/09/13 20:43 PM (PDT)

Now that I've had the car for three and a half months and put 7K miles on it, it's time for an update. I still like the sound system - great for just about any CD, though the digital signals fade out at the same places that my other car did. I'm not sure when the satellite radio was activated, so I got shorted on my trial period, but decided I wouldn't miss it anyway. The mileage continues to improve. I got 35 mpg on my last interstate ride, and I drive to keep up with traffic. (which goes about 80 in KY and IN) For commuting, I get 31 or 32. It has burned no oil. The long allowance between changes is starting to make me nervous, so I will probably bring it in for the first (free) service soon, if allowed before 10K. An oil life calculator like I have on my F150 would be nice. Otherwise the computer is well thought out. Heavy rain tends to obscure the rearview mirror, but otherwise visibility is good all around. I wish the auto headlamps would switch from DRL to full lights a little sooner. A six speed would probably help acceleration at midrange and maybe bring the revs down at highway speed, but the five speed is quiet enough, as well as very smooth and easy to shift. So, overall, I am still a very happy owner.