2013 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Understated Head-Turner

2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

Understated Head-Turner
By adefiesta on

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I don't see many Passats where I live, so people do a double-take when they see it. Despite what critics think of its understated styling, most of the people that see mine are impressed by its looks and clean lines. I just don't think it photographs well though unless you know how to work the clean lines. The diesel's excellent fuel mileage, German-driving feel, and cavernous rear interior space are what sold us on the TDI SE Passat. It's great for our family of 5, almost negates the need for a larger crossover SUV. Free satellite radio for 90 days and 3 years free preventative maintenance also adds some value.

Favorite Features

For a family sedan this is actually a fun car to drive, thanks to its dual clutch DSG transmission and 236 lb/ft of torque. The fuel mileage is awesome averaging better than expected 38 mpg in mixed driving, including some spirited driving in S mode and "manual" auto. The ride quality and interior comfort are excellent.

Suggested Improvements

The throttle response from a stop is slow for my taste. But once it gets going it's a great cruiser on the highway and sure-footed on the back roads. Like the SEL trim, I'd also like to see a start/stop button standard on the higher SE trims. Compared to the competition though, it's also missing some key features like more voice-control (e.g., GPS), blind-spot monitoring, and standard rearview camera (only avail in the SEL). It would also be nice to see the VW CC's LED headlamps on the Passat. Excellent value otherwise.