Compares with cars that cost $10K more!
By 65dodgers on
2013 Volkswagen Passat V6 SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)
I just bought a top of the line V-6 SEL Premium and I am loving it. I was looking for a luxury sedan with reasonable gas mileage and had driven almost everything under $45K. I was prepared to get the Cadillac ATS 2.0T Luxury with an MSRP of about $44K. I leased a new Passat for my wife back in '02 and remembered it was a reliable car so I thought I would stop at the VW dealer on my way to get the Cadillac. Needless to say I never made it to the Caddy dealer. This car blew me away with it's price and performance. The ride and interior space is comparable to the Mercedes E350 or Acura RL. For less than the price of a base model Cadillac ATS, I was able to get a fully loaded Passat V-6 SEL
Favorite Features
My favorite feature is the 280HP V-6 that really gets up and goes. I drive in downtown L.A. traffic everyday so acceleration is really important when you need it. The car also has a very sleek look to it. Love the wood grain interior, REAL leather seats with suede inserts, HD radio, remote start and 18" wheels. I thought less cargo space would make me miss driving an SUV but that is not the case at all. The massive trunk space also has plenty of room for all my son's baseball gear, and then some.
Suggested Improvements
I am sure as time goes on I will find a few things to improve on, but right now I can't think of much. The V-6 SEL Premium is really hard to find so there wasn't much available in color selection in all of Southern Cal. I ended up with Black on Black but that would not have been my first color choice. I also would love to have been able to buy this car in All Wheel Drive. I like the remote start but don't understand why it turns off when I unlock the door. Then I just have to start the car again when I get in. Not a big deal but certainly something the engineers may want to reconsider. The car has a back up camera but no sensor to beep when you are getting close to an object.