Solid, Reliable Family & Commuter Car
By popperoni2 on
2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I bought my 2013 Passat SE-TDI new in April 2013. I've put 16,000 miles on it since then. My daily commute is 35 mostly highway miles. We've taken the car on week-long road trips (from D.C. area) to Charleston, SC; Cleveland; Buffalo; and NYC area. I average 37 mpg per tank in mixed highway/local driving. It's an excellent cruising car, although the seats are a bit hard. I haven't noticed the road noise problems others talk about. Haven't had a single mechanical problem since I bought it. To me, the design is attractive inside and out. I highly recommend this car.
Favorite Features
Diesel engine - excellent mileage, fairly quiet, surprisingly good acceleration. Better mileage in mixed driving than most hybrids. Interior leg room, front and back - my 6'4" son can sit in back seat behind me (6'1") with plenty of head and leg room. Radio/CD sound system Air Conditioning - cools even on the hottest, muggiest days
Suggested Improvements
Defroster not all that effective on cool (temps in 30's-40's) days, unless blowing at max speed. Just a wee bit more padding in the seats. No built-in outlet for MP3 player/iPod. Had to pay $300 for installation of a plug in the glove box. Headlight beam cut-off is abrupt. When going downhill, illumination is restricted and a bit unsettling.