2013 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Not the worst car on the road

2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

TDI SE Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Manual)

Not the worst car on the road
By weezy23 on

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I was skeptical at first when I test drove the Passat TDI. BMW/Audi/Mercedes all offer diesels, but not one of them will mate it to a manual transmission (at least here in the colonies). That is a key selling point to me, so VW won my bid. I do get people telling me to check on my engine, because it sounds a little rough, then I tell them its a diesel, its supposed to sound like that, then they go in for a closer inspection and see the stick and generally get surprised. The cabin does tend to get a little loud on the freeway, the bluetooth is iffy, at best and I can't have a sunroof with a manual trans. Small price to pay for that gas milage, so I don't really complain much

The space in the backseat surprised me, both of my kid's car seats fit with plenty of room to spare, nothing has broken thus far and I've had it for about 9 months now, with 14k miles, I really can't complain too much. Also, that gas milage is crazy. I feel like I never have to fill up, even though I do it every 2 weeks. There are a lot miles that go on in those 2 weeks though.

Adding the sun and sound package with the manual tranny would be great, or even offering the SEL with a manual, possibly make an all wheel drive version, or even a sport version with rear wheel drive.