New Passat TDI
By conehead55 on
2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)
I picked up my Passat TDI 6-speed manual a couple days ago from a dealer in Phoenix. Drove it home to Los Angeles. That's 390 miles. When I got home, the "Remaining Range" on the tank showed 510 miles! Normally you associate 45-50 mpg with an econobox, or a hybrid. Not so here. This is a large, comfortable car. Yeah, there is a bit more noise at idle, which disappears when you rev it a bit. On the road, almost impossible to tell from gasoline power. Engine has plenty of torque, and cruises effortlessly at speed. If you remember the noise, vibration and smokey diesels of the 1970s and 1980s, they've come a long way since then.
Favorite Features
Obviously the fuel economy is the big favorite here. On a new car, I got 49.8 mpg average on my trip home. And that included an accident on the I-10, which caused a 45 minute backup in which I went ONE mile. Without that, I would have easily averaged 52 or 53 mpg. That's even good for a hybrid, and I don't have to worry about batteries, or charging. This is just like using a different grade of gasoline. Car is reasonably powerful too. It's no rocket ship, but the torquey engine will get you away from a stop light with plenty of authority. Car is quiet at cruising speeds, and rides well. I traded a BMW 328, so while this is not quite in that league, for 15K less, it's darn close.
Suggested Improvements
Since I just bought it, I can't speak to longer term issues such as reliability. Steering is a tad light, and acceleration at high speeds shows the rather meager 140 horses. But when you consider what you're getting in fuel economy for a few seconds of 50 to 80 mph time, it's well worth the tradeoff. If any reliability or mechanical issues creep up, I'll keep you all posted.
By byrdseeds
on 07/27/13 20:53 PM (PDT)

This is a first for me. A first time commenting on the virtues of a motor vehicle but not my first VW. After owning a Jetta TDI, I purchased a Passat TDI. Does that tell you how I feel about the VW? I AM 6' 8". What am I doing buying a VW? Well, let me tell you. First I like to do business with people who make me feel like my business is appreciated. I am not a speed demon nor a race car driver however I do enjoy the overall responsiveness, smoothness, comfort, and economy of my new Passat TDI. SURE YOU CAN SPEND THOUSANDS of dollars more and get all of the above if that is what you want. But if you want good old fashion value for your dollar, I don't think you will beat the wide array of VW TDI's.