2013 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Long Haul Cruiser - Philly to

2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

TDI SEL Premium Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual)

Long Haul Cruiser - Philly to Indy on one tank!
By pdhamm on

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I've owned the car for 3 weeks and I'm totally impressed. The diesel engine has plenty of power even though the car is really full size...actually it's nearly the same size as my 2002 S80. After 2 weeks I took it on a round trip from north of Philly to Indy on one tank approximately 650 miles and 45+ mpg crusing 70 to 75 mph most of the way. The car is rated for 40 mpg highway but I'm getting that just driving to and from work at average 35 mph. The exterior looks great, interior is nice quality,comfortable and the fender audio system sounds great. Ride and handling are exceptional.

I've got to go with the diesel engine. I just can't believe the combination of performance and fuel economy it delivers. I also like the Sirius NAV feature which allows you to search for nearby fuel stations supplying diesel fuel along with the day's fuel price. Also, being 6 foot tall, I like the spacious interior and upgrade seats that came with the premium. I can put the driver seat all the way back and still have plenty of leg room for rear seat passengers.

I would like to have the option for more safety features such as rear side airbags, knee airbags, blind spot, lane departure warnings, etc. HID headlights would also be nice to have.