Excellent car
By brian_h on
2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
Good Fuel economy and roomy interior. Navigation, backup camera and onboard computer processor is too slow. I have had my eyes on this car for several years even before it was redesigned. Went with the 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium mostly because it was the newest but also because it has the backup camera which was added safety for a home with small children. Unfortunately this is also the biggest disappointment as the processor in this car is so slow that I can start the car, put it in reverse, back out of the driveway and be headed forward down the street before the camera ever turns on to show me the street I am leaving behind. As a consequence this is Not a Reliable Safety Feature.
Favorite Features
Love the styling and spacious interior and trunk. fuel economy is great. Not many cars can fit three infant/toddler seats in the back seat but this one can with the right products.
Suggested Improvements
Engine has plenty of power at city speeds but lacks torque for passing on highways. Changing this would likely result in less economy thought so not worth it. Computer processor is way to slow. Backup camera will often not start until I am out of the driveway and down the street. Not a Reliable Safety feature. Does not have the ability to communicate effectively with MP3 or Ipod player I suspect due to the slow processor.
By truthinator
on 01/30/13 19:05 PM (PST)

Ummm.....Perhaps your most reliable safety feature around your kids should be your brain. I also have the 2013 TDI SEL Premium and it takes less than 2 seconds for the backup camera to come on. I also am wondering what your problem is with the "inability to communicate effectively" is. With 2 forms of interface, the Passat is actually the best I found. I will however agree with your 5 star rating...

By mikey1sdf
on 01/19/14 10:20 AM (PST)

My camera is VERRRRRRRY slow too!

By brian_h
on 03/31/14 12:15 PM (PDT)

Truthinator - [non-permissible content removed]. It's that simple. You will notice above that i did not state that I simply back up like a retiree from Florida without looking. What I did say is that you cannot rely on the backup camera -- if that insinuates anything it is that one must rely on other senses. Also, when I first bought this car I was not a victim of the smart phone revolution and all I had was an older Ipod that was not blue tooth compatible and it and the car would not talk well to each other. I have since become a victim and that issue has resolved. However - the backup camera is still way too slow to be the reliable safety feature it is intended to be. VW should fix this issue. That said, the car is still 5 stars.