Beware misaligned driver's seat and steering wheel
By tincansailor53 on
2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I want to love this car but it's hard when the driver's seat and steering wheel are not centered with each other. VW Customer Care admits this is the way the car is made, due to the widening of the body, but without making corresponding adjustments to the steering system. Therefore, the wheel sits to the right of center. VW managed to move my seat 2mm to the right, which helped make it a little less drastic. My loaner Passat had the same problem. I SO WISH I had noticed on the test drive. As for the TDI, wow, it's awesome. But, this car may well be gone as soon as the warranty is up. If you're not OCD like me, then you will love this car. Also, 1 month in and been to shop for rattle fix.
Favorite Features
TDI's smile-inducing performance and superb MPG. Simplicity of stereo and climate controls. Limo-sized rear seat room, gangster-sized trunk. Timeless good looks. Satisfying door shutting thunk. Smooth shift detents.
Suggested Improvements
Make the seat and steering wheel align right! Use higher quality material for the climate control knobs, and make them thicker so easier to grab. Simplify cruise control system. Current controls are too small and persnickety. Pay better attention to build quality at the factory. Mine developed a rattle at 1 month, in the top dash trim. Turned out one of the clips was omitted.