2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews 4

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Solid Powertrain but Beware the ROAD Noise/build quality
By mrtee52 on 04/13/13 13:51 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

First diesel like others, can validate the fuel economy (init 2800 mi all tanks >40 MPG mixed highway-city). The experience is muted because the solid powertrain with insulation to quiet the cabin is drowned out by the unacceptable road noise coming from the inferior Hankook tires. I purchased an SEL premium as my 6th VW, just traded in a Passat Komfort and never had any road noise or issues with cabin comfort, delivered Michellin MXM The premium NAV/Fender/Bluetooth/Rear Camera is a joke. The bluetooth died on the third day of ownership during an extended road trip from NJ to GA. Rear Camera delay prevents viewing on backup. Seats lack effective lumbar pillow A bean counter delight.

Best Green Car For Your Money and Most Fun! Loving it!
By kickingtires1 on 04/02/13 21:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is absolutely the best car you can get for your money! I'm a car nut having had a Car and Driver subscription since I was 15. I've owned several high end cars such as Porsche BMW Lexus and Audi I took a new job with a commute averaging 100 miles per day. I researched green cars for months and nothing compares to this vehicle, especially with the manual transmission, which transforms it into a true sport sedan. The manual transmission is smooth, effortless and precise. Gives you immediate power without the delay of the awkward automated manual (test drove both and there is no comparison). It's a must if you like having a little fun behind the wheel. The interior quality is outstanding.

I booted my Audi A*L for this car!! I AM IN LOVE
By trdking on 03/31/13 16:42 PM (PDT)

I test drove the gauntlet looking for a replacement for my A8L looking for something that was sporty, smooth, comfortable, and would give me a more green environmental look. Face it the A8L is a gas pig at 18mpg and It did not fit with my new business model. GO GREEN. I drove the Prius, Leaf, Volt Eh not so much. I mean they are green but they just all feel tight like a smart car with a different flare. I did drive the Jetta Hybrid turbo gas electric and I really liked it! but too small felt like a sardine in a can. I am 6feet 250lbs. The Passat TDI SEL is a perfect car for someone who is used to driving a luxury car that wants to just do better things for the environment.

Time will tell
By marystdi on 03/23/13 15:04 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just bought my Passat 2 weeks ago. My husband had been looking for us a new car and trade in our KIA Minivan with 191,000 mi. We travel. Was disappointed in the 3yr 36k mile warranty. Having a Kia was use to the 100K warranty. Shopped several dealerships and decided on the Passat TDI SE. Just to find the right color. Well found a dealer 1 hr away from us that offered a FREE Lifetime warranty on Engine and Transmission. Since we keep our cars a long time this was great. Well 2 weeks and 1000 miles first tank was 41 mpg city and hwy. Have noticed the 51+ on the display screen but we keep our mileages in a book. Love it Room Good Ride and Excellent quality inside and out. Will keep posing

Bought for MPG - Love for the Great Quality
By countrydrive on 03/01/13 07:20 AM (PST)

This is our first diesel car - and we love it! We were pleasantly surprised at the acceleration - at least as good as all of our previous cars. On our first tank we averaged 44.8 mpg about (80/20 highway/city) The ride is firm. The car absolutely hugs the road on turns. No rattles The SEL Premium has electronic seat adjustments and lumbar support on the driver's and passenger side - which is really nice. One caution - new in 2013 is the refueling guard. There is a flap over the gas tank which can only be opened with the correct size diesel car nozzle. Check inside the nozzle for a small bar. Of course the first time we tried to refill we were at a station with "truck" size nozzles.

Seriously Consider this Gem of A Sedan
By iceref91 on 02/04/13 12:03 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I am extremely thorough in my research and very picky when it comes to the car I want. I am a college student; however travel 25,000-30,000 a year for my job as an Ice hockey referee; I travel the midwest and east coast. This car thus far is awesome on road trips. Quiet, smooth, powerful tdi engine. 3 driving modes make this awesome to drive, while I am getting 43 mpg highway and 30 mpg city (not babying it @75 on the highway). I did replace the awful hankook tires with Continental extreme contact dws. The build design is great and you can tell the high quality, just watch for the rattles in which the dealer quickly fixed. If you want a fun to drive sedan with awesome mpg get this!

First VW, first diesel = Don't know why I waited!
By sheepleking on 01/28/13 07:52 AM (PST)

Traded in a 2011 Rav4 Limited because the fit and finish (i.e. squeaks, rattles, road/wind noise) were terrible. I looked at countless vehicles and finally looked at the Passat. Once I read everything I could, scoured the reviews for any negatives (there weren't any) and convinced my wife that diesels aren't what they used to be, I took one for an extended test drive and was hooked. Fantastic fit and finish, little or no wind noise at highway speeds (75 to 80), solid "thunks" when the doors are closed and no odd noises from the cabin. Overall - Very happy and look forward to years of quiet, 40+ mpg drives. I'll post follow-up's every few months (as comments) for anyone interested.

Passat TDI
By jh61 on 01/23/13 19:07 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Purchased the car about 2 months ago. Continue to enjoy this very efficient VW. With 80% highway driving, mpg is consistently in the range of 47-52mpg. Interior has loads of room.

Worthy of JB Power awards
By joethegut1 on 12/23/12 06:14 AM (PST)

Traded in my Acura TL for this, needed more interior room but still something 'fun' to drive and good mileage. Decided for the TDI, dealer's offer was too good to pass up ($24,800). Very pleased, highway mileage is consistently 50+, quiet cabin, and sport mode really pushes the car when I need it. Ergonomics are great, seats aren't deep buckets but still firm and supportive. Back seat is HUGE, both width and depth, easily fit 3 adults comfortably or two car seats. Trunk is equally massive, fits all my stuff for work plus a full size 2 child stroller. Also knowing my maintenance is covered for the next 3 years is great peace of mind.

EXCELLENT COMMUTER
By imangymoose on 12/13/12 06:04 AM (PST)

This car is average 42 miles per gallon over 3000 miles of which 70% is highway and 30% is in town. No problems so far