Used 2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

All good but the electronics are ????????
By triton11

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

All in all I really like the car. I bought it new and have about 16,000 miles on it in around 9 months. My only complaint however, is the electronics. I have had the "Electronics replaced about 2 months ago and the new package is not much better. The "back-up camera" is so slow sometimes that I can back out of my 60' driveway and start down the street before it comes on !!!!! I have a driveway with a 90 degree turn just outside my garage. One day I waited about 10 seconds for the camera to come on, nothing happened, so I looked in my rear view mirrors and began backing out while glancing down at the screen and just as I backed into a truck in my driveway, the camera came on ... $1,000 !!!!!

Mileage, handling are very favorable.

The electronics like the 'Rear Camera" are so slow it has caused and Accident already. Also, the Navigation System is 5 years behind my other vehicles. You almost always have to pull off the road to use it because you have to push far, far too many buttons to get it to do what you want it to do. (My $100 Garmin is quicker and far, far safer to operate while driving. Safety is ??????????? - there is a warning screen but who wants to pull off the road every time you need directions ?) Also, I just checked my tires today and all were 4 to 5 pounds low - and the tire pressure "gauge/warning system" was set up but did nothing to warn me. All of my other cars have far better pressure gauges.

1rst VW: Extremely Roomy, Insane MPG
By wilsonbrown

This car has as much room as an Audi A8 and the MPG of a much smaller car. Getting on average 42mpg. On highway, can get 56mpg on long trips.

There is a tremendous amount of room in the trunk. I can drive with the seat at my regular driving position (I am 6'3") with my brother (6'2") behind me and have 4" to spare. Turbo adds sufficient power when needed. Fender stereo system is excellent and bluetooth interface works great.

GPS is slow...very slow. No voice entry for addresses. Backup camera takes a while to come on when initially starting vehicle; takes a while to turn off after driving forward. Stereo sounds terrible in back seat. Drivers side seat does not fully recline (only 65%).

Exceeded expectations
By jkorner

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My first vw I bought this car in July, 4400 miles and 2 trips from Asheville NC to Orlando later. about 560 miles one way I am very pleased overall. I average 30 Mpg city and 45 on the highway one tank was 51 Mpg. This car does every thing you can ask of it. Plenty of room power and great cruising range of 832 miles with 18.5 Gal tank. just be aware Because of the Automated manual trans car will disengage and roll backwards on very steep hills. my Car will not lock from the outside unless keyless remote is used. Car was 26K OTD with Tax. More than one person thought I paid 40K. VW got this right.

everything especially the diesel mpg which is why I bought it.

Put a Power seat on the passenger side, trunk lighting not adequate. neither are deal breakers. wish list items: would like a trunk that closes by itself electrically Would be nice to start DSG trans in 2nd gear as 3K on the RPM scale happens quickly in first due to engine torque. would also like to see car achieve better mpg while driving 70 mph. though i'm happy with the 45mpg I currently get.

Exceeded Expectations
By purduebss

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased this car in March 2013 after starting new job with longer commute (about 80 miles a day). Have been impressed with MPG's for this car. My overall average for the car has been almost 45 mpg. I have found the mpg display in car to be about 2-3 miles off (i.e. shows 49, in reality 46-47 when checking at fill up). The car is comfortable to drive, handling is reasonable (it's no sports car but at same time it's not a Buick from the 1990's either). The interior materials are above average. The navigation system is OK but lags behind the latest technology. The DSG transmission is quick, the only complaint is when you stop and suddenly accelerate, it can stumble for a second or two.

The fuel mileage is fantastic even with diesel fuel cost compared to regular gasoline. Keep in mind that each 10 cents per gallon difference in price equates to about .70 mpg difference. Example - My TDI averages 45 mpg. If my diesel cost per gallon is 50 cents higher per gallon than regular gas, I would be averaging the equivalent of 41.5 mpg in a regular gas powered car (.50 x .70 = 3.5; 45-3.5 = 41.5). T

Update navigation system to accept voice commands and have current traffic conditions on it.

VW Passat - Great family car with MPG!
By nanuman

I have had this vehicle for about a month now and have around 2800 miles on it. I love the great gas mileage, averaging about 42 combined city/hwy. I have had one repair for a broken rear door lock that was fixed the next day by the dealer and no other issues since then. This car has the most room to the point the kids feel it is too big. Has great trunk space and with the diesel tdi has lots of power off of the line. Nice and quiet and very comfortable to drive and ride in. Very happy with this purchase.

The interior passenger space is great for ALL passengers and the trunk space is also huge. The Diesel engine is very quiet compared to my 1984 VW jetta diesel. This engine leaves no fumes or residue on the outside like the old engines of the 1980s. Really enjoy the power of the engine while crusing on the highway and the torque that allows the car to climb most hills without downshifting.

I had read that the stock Hanook tires that come on these cars can create some road noise. I agree, there is some road noise from these tires but the stopping and traction ability out weights the dry pavement sound to me. The backup camera, which is part of the sound/navigation system takes about 10-15 seconds to come on. So if you start the engine and go straight into reverse even before the instrument panel lights go out the camera won't come on right away. But if you wait those few seconds it works fine.