Used 2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Watch out for Passat TDI
By joe473

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Volkswagon knows they have an issue with the Passat and they should do a recall. The issue is with the fuel pump and the high compression. They blame you the consumer and blame you for putting gasoline in a diesel engine. Pump goes then the injectors, watch out stay away.

redesign the fuel pump

Great commuter with a dash of fun to drive.
By vwtdi55

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car made me a believer in diesel. All that torque makes it feel like a much beefier motor than the 140HP rating would have you believe. When I purchased it I was driving nearly 80 mpd 80/20 hwy/city and averaging over 46 (set my cruise on 67 on the highway, but can't keep my foot out of the boost city). My job now has me driving 80-90% city and am averaging about 37-40 or around 700 miles per tank. 27K on it now. I have personally gotten 1039 miles on a tank in this car. I drove it from LaPlace, LA (just N or New Orleans) to the shore of Lake Michigan in Chicago then another 150 or so miles into N. Indiana. Filled up and still had almost a gallon left, 59.2MPG (hand calculated).

Very comfortable to ride in for extended distances. Have driven strait from Gulfport, MS to Rehoboth Beach, DE (22ish hours) and then back again a week later and been less fatigued than when I did the same trip in an 07 Tahoe LTZ a few years before. P.S. round trip, around 2400 miles was done in 3 tanks and averaged 47.x. Better than my father in law's 13 Prius V that made nearly the same trip. The fact that it is available with a manual transmission is what really sold me on the VW over any other car that could even come close to the MPG and/or size of the Passat. Just makes a boring sedan/family mover all that more fun to drive and more efficient too.

Sunroof available with manual transmission! You can buy this in Canada, but not in the U.S.??? Button to turn off the traction control! Turn on the rain sensing auto wipers for all models. It's a check box in the software that is only checked for certain trim levels. Any Passat with the auto dim rear view has the ability to have rain sensing wipers as it's controlled by the same sensor. Just not turned on in the software for lower models.

Solid, Reliable Family & Commuter Car
By popperoni2

I bought my 2013 Passat SE-TDI new in April 2013. I've put 16,000 miles on it since then. My daily commute is 35 mostly highway miles. We've taken the car on week-long road trips (from D.C. area) to Charleston, SC; Cleveland; Buffalo; and NYC area. I average 37 mpg per tank in mixed highway/local driving. It's an excellent cruising car, although the seats are a bit hard. I haven't noticed the road noise problems others talk about. Haven't had a single mechanical problem since I bought it. To me, the design is attractive inside and out. I highly recommend this car.

Diesel engine - excellent mileage, fairly quiet, surprisingly good acceleration. Better mileage in mixed driving than most hybrids. Interior leg room, front and back - my 6'4" son can sit in back seat behind me (6'1") with plenty of head and leg room. Radio/CD sound system Air Conditioning - cools even on the hottest, muggiest days

Defroster not all that effective on cool (temps in 30's-40's) days, unless blowing at max speed. Just a wee bit more padding in the seats. No built-in outlet for MP3 player/iPod. Had to pay $300 for installation of a plug in the glove box. Headlight beam cut-off is abrupt. When going downhill, illumination is restricted and a bit unsettling.

VW still has quality issues
By jld2

A new billion dollar factory and still quality issues. My fuel door fell off in my hand! And to add insult to injury they told me that I had to pay to fix it because it was an "external influence!" And when I inquired as to what the external influence was the customer service representative replied, "Cold weather!" So I have to pay $300.00 to replace my fuel filter door because it got cold in Pennsylvania! VW got the engine right. Great mileage, quiet operation, starts quickly in cold weather. The DSG is responsive but expensive, it costs over $300.00 every 40,000 miles to service. Too bad their lousy attention to details like designing a fuel door that will won't fall off.

TDI is nice engine fuel economy on highway at times exceeds 50 MPG

Fuel door fell off, mid range acceleration is poor, small mirrors

All good but the electronics are ????????
By triton11

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

All in all I really like the car. I bought it new and have about 16,000 miles on it in around 9 months. My only complaint however, is the electronics. I have had the "Electronics replaced about 2 months ago and the new package is not much better. The "back-up camera" is so slow sometimes that I can back out of my 60' driveway and start down the street before it comes on !!!!! I have a driveway with a 90 degree turn just outside my garage. One day I waited about 10 seconds for the camera to come on, nothing happened, so I looked in my rear view mirrors and began backing out while glancing down at the screen and just as I backed into a truck in my driveway, the camera came on ... $1,000 !!!!!

Mileage, handling are very favorable.

The electronics like the 'Rear Camera" are so slow it has caused and Accident already. Also, the Navigation System is 5 years behind my other vehicles. You almost always have to pull off the road to use it because you have to push far, far too many buttons to get it to do what you want it to do. (My $100 Garmin is quicker and far, far safer to operate while driving. Safety is ??????????? - there is a warning screen but who wants to pull off the road every time you need directions ?) Also, I just checked my tires today and all were 4 to 5 pounds low - and the tire pressure "gauge/warning system" was set up but did nothing to warn me. All of my other cars have far better pressure gauges.

• SUV