2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
EXCELLENT COMMUTER
By imangymoose on 12/13/12 06:04 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This car is average 42 miles per gallon over 3000 miles of which 70% is highway and 30% is in town. No problems so far

Best Car I have ever owned
By nfarb on 11/27/12 15:28 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is a spacious, perhaps bit too large, wonderful to drive cruising car. The mpg is remarkable given it size, and the 6 speed is smooth and fun, fuel efficient and serves to keep me alert and paying attention to driving. I owned a 2011 TDi sport wagon and loved it but thought because i often drive long distances I would enjoy a bit bigger car. This 111 wheelbase is maybe a touch more that I wanted but I get out of it after 500 miles and feel great and not cramped like i would at the end of a long ride in a smaller car. I am 6' and 70+ years old

Extremely happy with my purchase
By cocomicas on 11/20/12 17:07 PM (PST)

After reading many reviews and talking to mechanics, I decided to go with the Passat TDI. I started looking at the Jetta, but certain aspects with the Jetta I wasn't impressed with such as the single torson bar for the rear suspension. The Passat is just better built, plus it's built in TN. After looking at the different models and price, I decided to go with the SEL. This thing is loaded. I have taken it on a 1200 mile trip, averaged 43mpg @70mph avg. Only problem was a rip in the door panel. Dealer fixed it promptly. I only miss two options: HID's and heated steering wheel.

Excellent car
By brian_h on 11/08/12 12:47 PM (PST)

Good Fuel economy and roomy interior. Navigation, backup camera and onboard computer processor is too slow. I have had my eyes on this car for several years even before it was redesigned. Went with the 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium mostly because it was the newest but also because it has the backup camera which was added safety for a home with small children. Unfortunately this is also the biggest disappointment as the processor in this car is so slow that I can start the car, put it in reverse, back out of the driveway and be headed forward down the street before the camera ever turns on to show me the street I am leaving behind. As a consequence this is Not a Reliable Safety Feature.

2013 Passat TDI SE with sunroof
By simul8guy on 10/31/12 11:54 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Only owned the car a bit over a week at this point but so far I love it. While there is a little bit of 'diesel clatter' from the negine on takeoff, at cruising speeds you'd never know you have a diesel under the hood. Many would consider the styling a bit blah but I think it's very clean looking and will wear well over time. It looks alot like the previous generation Audi A6. This car is one of the best 'bangs for the buck' out there and you should seriously consider it if you're shopping for a mid-size sedan.

Understated Head-Turner
By adefiesta on 10/27/12 19:01 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I don't see many Passats where I live, so people do a double-take when they see it. Despite what critics think of its understated styling, most of the people that see mine are impressed by its looks and clean lines. I just don't think it photographs well though unless you know how to work the clean lines. The diesel's excellent fuel mileage, German-driving feel, and cavernous rear interior space are what sold us on the TDI SE Passat. It's great for our family of 5, almost negates the need for a larger crossover SUV. Free satellite radio for 90 days and 3 years free preventative maintenance also adds some value.

GREAT CAR WITH SUPER GAS MILEAGE
By scottlaurad on 10/18/12 20:42 PM (PDT)

I already own a 2005 Passat TDI that I bought new and passed it along to my son 4 years back. The '05 Passat is now 8 years old and runs great with a consistant 40+mpg which is great for a college kid. Also, I paid $21,500 new in '05 and the value today is $11,000. The TDI holds it's value which was another good reason to buy this car. In the three weeks I have owned the car we have been getting 42 mpg and had reached over 51 mpg on a 40 min. highway drive each way. One of the best features is how much room they managed to get in side the car and trunk. The stereo, gps, remote start and comfortable seating is amazing. Drive one for yourself and you will see the difference.

Long Haul Cruiser - Philly to Indy on one tank!
By pdhamm on 10/17/12 17:54 PM (PDT)

I've owned the car for 3 weeks and I'm totally impressed. The diesel engine has plenty of power even though the car is really full size...actually it's nearly the same size as my 2002 S80. After 2 weeks I took it on a round trip from north of Philly to Indy on one tank approximately 650 miles and 45+ mpg crusing 70 to 75 mph most of the way. The car is rated for 40 mpg highway but I'm getting that just driving to and from work at average 35 mph. The exterior looks great, interior is nice quality,comfortable and the fender audio system sounds great. Ride and handling are exceptional.

The Perfect Car
By dale49 on 10/14/12 07:38 AM (PDT)

I have had this car for a few days, and it is everything I had hoped for. It is a replacement for one that fried a wiring harness on the way home from the dealer, which I'm sure was a fluke. The mileage is for real, it's built like a tank, and it's a blast to drive. Add to that the free maintenance for 36k miles and the price, and you'll have a hard time beating it. I looked at everything from Kia to BMW, and nothing else comes close to this combination of features, fuel economy and price. I would buy this car again in a heartbeat...actually, I did.

Buy this car!
By 23hammer on 10/11/12 10:16 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased this car to be my daily drive on my 100 mile daily commute. Running at 70 mph, I can get over 50 MPG in this car all day long! The car is amazingly quiet, comfortable, and nimble. I am enjoying the 6 speed manual immensley. The low end power provided by the diesel is amazing and really fun to drive (which was not expected in a diesel) The car feels like a much more expensive car on the road and you could litteraly hear a pin drop at 70 mph. The build quality is wonderful and best of all the car is built right here in the USA! Way to go VW, I hope many more people put this one on thier list!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel in WA is:

$197 per month*