2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Amazing Car!
By gilicata12 on 08/28/13 17:21 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I got my 2013 Passat TDI last week. I traded in a 2010 Mercedes E550 for it. I love my Passat more than the Benz. The ride is outstanding, some people complain of noise but I think it is more quiet than an E-class. I do a lot of suburban driving so I am kicking EPA fuel estimates out the window. I get about 40mpg city and about 48mpg highway. This car also handles better than any other car I test drove. This car beats the competition. I feel extremely safe in this car. The doors are heavy and the feel of being safe is extremely important to me. The interior design of the car just makes sense. There is a place for everything and everything is in its place. This is the best car VW has made.

Just bought it
By sunnybeach on 07/26/13 13:52 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Picked the 2013 Passat SEL TDI premium up at VW of Beaumont last night. Paid 29.9k before taxes 32.2k with taxes and dealer fees. 0% Financing! Wife drove it 95 miles back to Humble Texas and was very impressed with the ride, comfort and features. Most of which she does not know how to use yet! We ran 75-80 most of the way home and registered 43.2 avg mpg for that trip! Drove it at 65 for a stretch and the instant mpg was reading 48.4 consistantly! I am 6'3" 265 lbs and the seating fit me very well. My wife is 5'4" 125 lbs and the seating fit her very well too. I rode in the back seat for a spell and found that it has plenty of room for a big tall person like myself.

New Passat TDI
By conehead55 on 07/24/13 21:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I picked up my Passat TDI 6-speed manual a couple days ago from a dealer in Phoenix. Drove it home to Los Angeles. That's 390 miles. When I got home, the "Remaining Range" on the tank showed 510 miles! Normally you associate 45-50 mpg with an econobox, or a hybrid. Not so here. This is a large, comfortable car. Yeah, there is a bit more noise at idle, which disappears when you rev it a bit. On the road, almost impossible to tell from gasoline power. Engine has plenty of torque, and cruises effortlessly at speed. If you remember the noise, vibration and smokey diesels of the 1970s and 1980s, they've come a long way since then.

2013 TDI First Drive
By emarsh7 on 07/17/13 20:11 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just picked up a new 2013 TDI Passat with the automatic. Here's my impression after the first few hundred miles. I discovered motor sports in the late 1960s. Back in the day I was a drag racing fan and lover of Detroit muscle. Budget constraints got me into riding and racing motorcycles and that changed my priorities for a car. I get my performance rush from bikes and airplanes. Cars have a different mission, one that requires reasonable power, solid handing and enough comfort to drive for hours. My Dodge dualie turned me on to diesels. when a friend gave me a ride in his TDI Jetta, I appreciated it's quiet torque and efficiency. That led me to buy a Passat SEL with the automatic.

Full size car with small car fuel compuption
By thedude12 on 07/13/13 15:03 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We opted for the TDI SE with the sunroof and DSG. The DSG transmission is a must, one hand holding the coffee and no worries about shifting. Also the DSG is quicker in acceleration, the 6 speed manual have to tall gears and have a tendency to stall. The interior is very roomy, specially the rear seats, I have friends 6'3" tall seating in the back fitting comfortably. The fuel compsuption is simply ridiculous, I went from Tucson to San Diego with a a little over half tank(420Miles), I average 43.8mpg with the A/C and the cruise set at 83 MPH. The interior is very well made and the ride is very quiet. It does 85mph@2500 rpm. We are filling every 3 plus weeks. Free maintenance for 3 years.

My first German engineered car - it's a little different
By davidcw on 06/22/13 21:13 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Picked up my new Passat yesterday and have put a little over 100 miles on it. I got candy white with black interior for $30,000 including lip spoiler, mats, wheel locks, first aid kit and tinted windows. The price was much better than what Edmunds, Consumer Reports or any of the others said I should expect. I think it was a good deal?

2013 Owner manual Errors
By mikewlv on 06/15/13 12:28 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I am disappointed in Volkswagens Customer Service and Support. One of the features that was important to me was the Rear Backup Assist and Park Distance Sound Alert. During my demo I was shown the operation of the rear camera, the salesman walked in back of the vehicle. The camera worked camera, but no sound alert. When I asked, I was told it probably needed to be turned on in the setup menu. I check the manual at home and on page 217 it does show a picture of a sound on/off soft key. When I call WV they to told me it is not available, even through it is listed as available on their web-site.

Everyone is "WOW'ed" by my car
By thejester1 on 05/20/13 12:18 PM (PDT)

LOVE this car so much! Amazing gas mileage that gets better as the engine gets broken in, and it's super roomy! People sit behind my 6'3 boyfriend and they still have tons of space in the back. Everyone has commented that it rides really smooth as well. People ask, "This is a Volkswagon? WOW! This is super nice!" This car has exceeded my expectations, and I find myself volunteering to drive everywhere because it's so much fun.

Solid Powertrain but Beware the ROAD Noise/build quality
By mrtee52 on 04/13/13 13:51 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

First diesel like others, can validate the fuel economy (init 2800 mi all tanks >40 MPG mixed highway-city). The experience is muted because the solid powertrain with insulation to quiet the cabin is drowned out by the unacceptable road noise coming from the inferior Hankook tires. I purchased an SEL premium as my 6th VW, just traded in a Passat Komfort and never had any road noise or issues with cabin comfort, delivered Michellin MXM The premium NAV/Fender/Bluetooth/Rear Camera is a joke. The bluetooth died on the third day of ownership during an extended road trip from NJ to GA. Rear Camera delay prevents viewing on backup. Seats lack effective lumbar pillow A bean counter delight.

Very balanced car
By burbach on 04/11/13 16:42 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Very balanced, with excellent mileage for a larger gas powered car. (I confess to being hooked on the computer's fuel consumption feature, short of being a hyper miler. Best on my 30+ mile commute on country roads has been 34.7 mpg.) The 5 speed is well matched - the engine turns at 2000 rpm at 60 mph. Very quiet at 80 mph, with 30+ mpg even at that speed. Nice radio, simple to use.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Passat in VA is:

$152 per month*