Used 2013 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Second Review
By brian_h

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I posted in November 2012 short after I bought my car. It has performed well w/ mileage averaging around 38-40 mpg with currently 50k on the car and I drive 110 miles/day battling a 2000 foot elevation change into the Wyoming wind in one of those directions. Still really like and enjoy this car. There remain a few electronic issues that are dismaying but I will not let them dampen my enjoyment of this car. The only part I have had to have replaced is the heat/AC blower due to freezing up in some subzero weather.

Favorite Features

Mileage and comfort. Good solid car.

Suggested Improvements

Backup camera is still an unreliable safety issue / liability rather than a safety feature.

Would not purchase again
By j__c

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this 2013 TDI SEL Premium in October 2013. It already had one owner and 32k miles. I now have 45k miles on the car. Fuel mileage is about 40 MPG with 60% hwy 40% city.

Favorite Features

- Bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

Needs: - Full leather seats - Navigation is a nightmare. Needs faster chip and option for QWERTY keyboard along with options on what information to put in first. Need to eliminate the "extra" choices for locations. For example I am around Tampa. Sometimes it shows the county as incorporated and sometimes unincorporated. That is a ridiculus choice. - Backup camera comes on after I have already put it in drive. - Transmission should not require $300 service @ 40k miles. - The brake assist for "hill" starts is not needed in most areas...Florida...but I cannot turn it off. - The phone system keeps telling me is cannot install my phone book...every time.

Watch out for Passat TDI
By joe473

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Volkswagon knows they have an issue with the Passat and they should do a recall. The issue is with the fuel pump and the high compression. They blame you the consumer and blame you for putting gasoline in a diesel engine. Pump goes then the injectors, watch out stay away.

Suggested Improvements

redesign the fuel pump

Great commuter with a dash of fun to drive.
By vwtdi55

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car made me a believer in diesel. All that torque makes it feel like a much beefier motor than the 140HP rating would have you believe. When I purchased it I was driving nearly 80 mpd 80/20 hwy/city and averaging over 46 (set my cruise on 67 on the highway, but can't keep my foot out of the boost city). My job now has me driving 80-90% city and am averaging about 37-40 or around 700 miles per tank. 27K on it now. I have personally gotten 1039 miles on a tank in this car. I drove it from LaPlace, LA (just N or New Orleans) to the shore of Lake Michigan in Chicago then another 150 or so miles into N. Indiana. Filled up and still had almost a gallon left, 59.2MPG (hand calculated).

Favorite Features

Very comfortable to ride in for extended distances. Have driven strait from Gulfport, MS to Rehoboth Beach, DE (22ish hours) and then back again a week later and been less fatigued than when I did the same trip in an 07 Tahoe LTZ a few years before. P.S. round trip, around 2400 miles was done in 3 tanks and averaged 47.x. Better than my father in law's 13 Prius V that made nearly the same trip. The fact that it is available with a manual transmission is what really sold me on the VW over any other car that could even come close to the MPG and/or size of the Passat. Just makes a boring sedan/family mover all that more fun to drive and more efficient too.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof available with manual transmission! You can buy this in Canada, but not in the U.S.??? Button to turn off the traction control! Turn on the rain sensing auto wipers for all models. It's a check box in the software that is only checked for certain trim levels. Any Passat with the auto dim rear view has the ability to have rain sensing wipers as it's controlled by the same sensor. Just not turned on in the software for lower models.

Solid, Reliable Family & Commuter Car
By popperoni2

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my 2013 Passat SE-TDI new in April 2013. I've put 16,000 miles on it since then. My daily commute is 35 mostly highway miles. We've taken the car on week-long road trips (from D.C. area) to Charleston, SC; Cleveland; Buffalo; and NYC area. I average 37 mpg per tank in mixed highway/local driving. It's an excellent cruising car, although the seats are a bit hard. I haven't noticed the road noise problems others talk about. Haven't had a single mechanical problem since I bought it. To me, the design is attractive inside and out. I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Diesel engine - excellent mileage, fairly quiet, surprisingly good acceleration. Better mileage in mixed driving than most hybrids. Interior leg room, front and back - my 6'4" son can sit in back seat behind me (6'1") with plenty of head and leg room. Radio/CD sound system Air Conditioning - cools even on the hottest, muggiest days

Suggested Improvements

Defroster not all that effective on cool (temps in 30's-40's) days, unless blowing at max speed. Just a wee bit more padding in the seats. No built-in outlet for MP3 player/iPod. Had to pay $300 for installation of a plug in the glove box. Headlight beam cut-off is abrupt. When going downhill, illumination is restricted and a bit unsettling.