Used 2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Not the worst car on the road
By weezy23

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I was skeptical at first when
I test drove the Passat TDI. BMW/Audi/Mercedes all offer diesels, but not one of them will mate it to a manual transmission (at least here in the colonies). That is a key selling point to me, so VW won my bid. I do get people telling me to check on my engine, because it sounds a little rough, then I tell them its a diesel, its supposed to sound like that, then they go in for a closer inspection and see the stick and generally get surprised. The cabin does tend to get a little loud on the freeway, the bluetooth is iffy, at best and I can't have a sunroof with a manual trans. Small price to pay for that gas milage, so I don't really complain much

The space in the backseat surprised me, both of my kid's car seats fit with plenty of room to spare, nothing has broken thus far and I've had it for about 9 months now, with 14k miles, I really can't complain too much. Also, that gas milage is crazy. I feel like I never have to fill up, even though I do it every 2 weeks. There are a lot miles that go on in those 2 weeks though.

Adding the sun and sound package with the manual tranny would be great, or even offering the SEL with a manual, possibly make an all wheel drive version, or even a sport version with rear wheel drive.

my 4th TDI...LOVE IT.
By chimayred

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

i'm not a gear head but i like cars.
I've owned a Lexus LX470, 330, AUdi TT, Dodge Stealth, Dodge Durango, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mercedes C260, couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees, 2 Jetta TDI's and a 2006 Passat TDI.
I absolutely love it.
Drives great, use it without snow tires in Maine winter, drive 35000 miles a year, getting 49mpg highway regularly, looks great, great fit and finish, great sound system.
I've already put 70,000 miles on it (65,000 miles on original equipment Continental all seasons).
I drove this entire horrible Maine winter with those tires and 50,000 miles on them.
This is easily better built than my wife's Mercede's C 260 (so much so that she wants one).
Well now I have 120,000 miles. Never failed. Best car I've ever owned. Drives great. Never needs snow tires. 50+ mpg on highway. I still trust VW more than I trust the EPA. Super solid. Rented an Altima recently. It's a tin can compared to Passat. Downsides? Expensive service if you put 30,000 miles a year on it. Mediocre warranty. Looked at bmw 5 series recently and diesel Audis. Decided to stick with VW.

Great Choice
By jwalt300

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I've had this car for just over one year, but have already put 41k miles on it.
Had a very small problem early (round 3k miles), where the passenger seatbelt light came on.
Dealer fixed it and I've had no problems since.
I'm averaging 41mpg (up and down hills/mountains) commuting to work, and I've gotten as high as 55mpg on "normal" trips.
MPG under city conditions not as good (avg maybe 32-36), but still not bad.
The more you stay on the highway, the better your mpg.
Good leg and shoulder room for tall people (I'm 6'3).
Seats could be a little more comfortable, but maybe it's because I sit there for longer periods.

Gas mileage. Simple, but nice style

One "wired" thing - a cracking sound comes from the window area. I thought it was the window - nope. The plastic piece beneath the window/dash makes the sound (particularly when it gets hot).

We Bought Two and Both Cars blew the Turbo
By bubbastarr

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The gas milage is great, the luxury is good. The tranmission can be unresponsive, expecially in the cold. We bought two for our company and both have blown the turbo. One at 30k and the other at 18k.

The automatic downshifting while braking to slow the car on steep declines.

Fix the Turbo!!!

Second Review
By brian_h

I posted in November 2012 short after I bought my car. It has performed well w/ mileage averaging around 38-40 mpg with currently 50k on the car and I drive 110 miles/day battling a 2000 foot elevation change into the Wyoming wind in one of those directions.
Still really like and enjoy this car.
There remain a few electronic issues that are dismaying but I will not let them dampen my enjoyment of this car. The only part I have had to have replaced is the heat/AC blower due to freezing up in some subzero weather.

Mileage and comfort. Good solid car.

Backup camera is still an unreliable safety issue / liability rather than a safety feature.