2013 TDI First Drive
By emarsh7 on
2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I just picked up a new 2013 TDI Passat with the automatic. Here's my impression after the first few hundred miles. I discovered motor sports in the late 1960s. Back in the day I was a drag racing fan and lover of Detroit muscle. Budget constraints got me into riding and racing motorcycles and that changed my priorities for a car. I get my performance rush from bikes and airplanes. Cars have a different mission, one that requires reasonable power, solid handing and enough comfort to drive for hours. My Dodge dualie turned me on to diesels. when a friend gave me a ride in his TDI Jetta, I appreciated it's quiet torque and efficiency. That led me to buy a Passat SEL with the automatic.
Favorite Features
I bought the Passat because of the TDI diesel, and it has not disappointed. It's amazing that such a tiny engine can push a large (by today's standards) car around so easily and quietly with just a touch of throttle. I like the Passat's looks. It's attractive but understated. Mine is Opera Red. The interior is roomy with a Euro feel. The sound system is good but not audiophile quality. This car is at it's best on the freeway. It's comfortable, smooth and quiet (except for the tires) and hardly notices crosswinds. The Passat, with it's outstanding fuel efficiency is my revenge against the gas companies for their price gouging. It's a tight package and a sweet way to get revenge.
Suggested Improvements
A few squawks: The Passat's suspension is my biggest complaint. Settling under asphalt can create series of bumps here in Texas and the Passat doesn't handle them well, especially going into corners. The car rolls too much in fast turns. I would like more of a Euro performance suspension package and less American "luxury". The tires can be really noisy on some sections of road. I don't feel that the standard seats have enough lumbar support, even with it adjusted up all the way. The brake pedal has a mushy "American car" feel. I'd much prefer a solid pedal. The FWD has a better feel than most that I've driven but still is not nearly as good as the steering on a RWD car.