2013 Passat TDI SE with sunroof
By simul8guy on
2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
Only owned the car a bit over a week at this point but so far I love it. While there is a little bit of 'diesel clatter' from the negine on takeoff, at cruising speeds you'd never know you have a diesel under the hood. Many would consider the styling a bit blah but I think it's very clean looking and will wear well over time. It looks alot like the previous generation Audi A6. This car is one of the best 'bangs for the buck' out there and you should seriously consider it if you're shopping for a mid-size sedan.
Favorite Features
fuel stingy but peppy turbo-diesel engine. Excellent audio system with bluetooth connectivity and an SDHC card reader (also has a six disc MP3 CD player but who uses CDs anymore?). You can only get the iPod cable in the SEL but who cares! Very comfortable seats and incredible rear legroom for a car of its size.
Suggested Improvements
Better baffling in the fuel tank. When you come to a stop the fuel sloshing noise is fairly loud. While the DSG auto tranny is fine I would have purchased the 6 speed manual if it was offered with a sunroof. Come on VW the car is built in this country what's the excuse for no sunroof option with a manual tranny? This was almost a deal breaker for me. The brake pedal is very sensitive, will take some getting used to (a Toyota Camry I rented earlier this year was also very touchy)
By simul8guy
on 04/09/13 05:59 AM (PDT)

6 month update - Still loving this car after 6 months and 6000 miles. My highway fuel economy has been averaging in the high 40's and city in the high 30's (EPA rating 40 mpg highway/30 mpg city). What other non-diesel car out there consistently, and significantly, exceeds their EPA ratings! Most hybrids don't even meet their ratings. The only issue I've had with the car in the first 6 months was not the cars fault. In January we had extremely cold temperatures here in the Northeast. On one below zero morning the car would crank but wouldn't start. This is how I learned the hard way about diesel fuel 'gelling' at extremently low temperatures. When the fuel gels it clogs the fuel filter which prevents fuel flow. Diesel fuel suppliers in cold climates are supposed to winterize the fuel by adding about 10% kerosene to prvent fuel gelling. The station I had been buying my fuel from obviously hadn't done this. Had to have the car towed to my dealer (Seacoast VW). Technically, fuel gelling is not covered under the VW warranty since it's not a problem with the car. However, my dealer was great about it. They thawed out the car, cleaned out the fuel filter and didn't charge me a dime. Subsequently, I learned about diesel fuel anti-gelling fuel additives. I picked up a bottle of Power Service 'white bottle' winter fuel additive at my local Walmart and never had another fuel gelling problem. I highly recommend it.