2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Watch out for Passat TDI
By joe473 on 03/11/14 11:41 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Volkswagon knows they have an issue with the Passat and they should do a recall. The issue is with the fuel pump and the high compression. They blame you the consumer and blame you for putting gasoline in a diesel engine. Pump goes then the injectors, watch out stay away.

Great commuter with a dash of fun to drive.
By vwtdi55 on 02/24/14 14:27 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car made me a believer in diesel. All that torque makes it feel like a much beefier motor than the 140HP rating would have you believe. When I purchased it I was driving nearly 80 mpd 80/20 hwy/city and averaging over 46 (set my cruise on 67 on the highway, but can't keep my foot out of the boost city). My job now has me driving 80-90% city and am averaging about 37-40 or around 700 miles per tank. 27K on it now. I have personally gotten 1039 miles on a tank in this car. I drove it from LaPlace, LA (just N or New Orleans) to the shore of Lake Michigan in Chicago then another 150 or so miles into N. Indiana. Filled up and still had almost a gallon left, 59.2MPG (hand calculated).

Solid, Reliable Family & Commuter Car
By popperoni2 on 01/14/14 11:31 AM (PST)

I bought my 2013 Passat SE-TDI new in April 2013. I've put 16,000 miles on it since then. My daily commute is 35 mostly highway miles. We've taken the car on week-long road trips (from D.C. area) to Charleston, SC; Cleveland; Buffalo; and NYC area. I average 37 mpg per tank in mixed highway/local driving. It's an excellent cruising car, although the seats are a bit hard. I haven't noticed the road noise problems others talk about. Haven't had a single mechanical problem since I bought it. To me, the design is attractive inside and out. I highly recommend this car.

VW still has quality issues
By jld2 on 01/09/14 15:05 PM (PST)

A new billion dollar factory and still quality issues. My fuel door fell off in my hand! And to add insult to injury they told me that I had to pay to fix it because it was an "external influence!" And when I inquired as to what the external influence was the customer service representative replied, "Cold weather!" So I have to pay $300.00 to replace my fuel filter door because it got cold in Pennsylvania! VW got the engine right. Great mileage, quiet operation, starts quickly in cold weather. The DSG is responsive but expensive, it costs over $300.00 every 40,000 miles to service. Too bad their lousy attention to details like designing a fuel door that will won't fall off.

All good but the electronics are ????????
By triton11 on 12/27/13 17:04 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

All in all I really like the car. I bought it new and have about 16,000 miles on it in around 9 months. My only complaint however, is the electronics. I have had the "Electronics replaced about 2 months ago and the new package is not much better. The "back-up camera" is so slow sometimes that I can back out of my 60' driveway and start down the street before it comes on !!!!! I have a driveway with a 90 degree turn just outside my garage. One day I waited about 10 seconds for the camera to come on, nothing happened, so I looked in my rear view mirrors and began backing out while glancing down at the screen and just as I backed into a truck in my driveway, the camera came on ... $1,000 !!!!!

1rst VW: Extremely Roomy, Insane MPG
By wilsonbrown on 09/22/13 15:17 PM (PDT)

This car has as much room as an Audi A8 and the MPG of a much smaller car. Getting on average 42mpg. On highway, can get 56mpg on long trips.

Exceeded expectations
By jkorner on 09/21/13 21:19 PM (PDT)

My first vw I bought this car in July, 4400 miles and 2 trips from Asheville NC to Orlando later. about 560 miles one way I am very pleased overall. I average 30 Mpg city and 45 on the highway one tank was 51 Mpg. This car does every thing you can ask of it. Plenty of room power and great cruising range of 832 miles with 18.5 Gal tank. just be aware Because of the Automated manual trans car will disengage and roll backwards on very steep hills. my Car will not lock from the outside unless keyless remote is used. Car was 26K OTD with Tax. More than one person thought I paid 40K. VW got this right.

Exceeded Expectations
By purduebss on 09/15/13 02:40 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased this car in March 2013 after starting new job with longer commute (about 80 miles a day). Have been impressed with MPG's for this car. My overall average for the car has been almost 45 mpg. I have found the mpg display in car to be about 2-3 miles off (i.e. shows 49, in reality 46-47 when checking at fill up). The car is comfortable to drive, handling is reasonable (it's no sports car but at same time it's not a Buick from the 1990's either). The interior materials are above average. The navigation system is OK but lags behind the latest technology. The DSG transmission is quick, the only complaint is when you stop and suddenly accelerate, it can stumble for a second or two.

VW Passat - Great family car with MPG!
By nanuman on 09/10/13 12:31 PM (PDT)

I have had this vehicle for about a month now and have around 2800 miles on it. I love the great gas mileage, averaging about 42 combined city/hwy. I have had one repair for a broken rear door lock that was fixed the next day by the dealer and no other issues since then. This car has the most room to the point the kids feel it is too big. Has great trunk space and with the diesel tdi has lots of power off of the line. Nice and quiet and very comfortable to drive and ride in. Very happy with this purchase.

Beware misaligned driver's seat and steering wheel
By tincansailor53 on 09/07/13 22:16 PM (PDT)

I want to love this car but it's hard when the driver's seat and steering wheel are not centered with each other. VW Customer Care admits this is the way the car is made, due to the widening of the body, but without making corresponding adjustments to the steering system. Therefore, the wheel sits to the right of center. VW managed to move my seat 2mm to the right, which helped make it a little less drastic. My loaner Passat had the same problem. I SO WISH I had noticed on the test drive. As for the TDI, wow, it's awesome. But, this car may well be gone as soon as the warranty is up. If you're not OCD like me, then you will love this car. Also, 1 month in and been to shop for rattle fix.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel in VA is:

$156 per month*