2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Would not purchase again
By j__c on 03/22/14 18:40 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this 2013 TDI SEL Premium in October 2013. It already had one owner and 32k miles. I now have 45k miles on the car. Fuel mileage is about 40 MPG with 60% hwy 40% city.

Watch out for Passat TDI
By joe473 on 03/11/14 11:41 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Volkswagon knows they have an issue with the Passat and they should do a recall. The issue is with the fuel pump and the high compression. They blame you the consumer and blame you for putting gasoline in a diesel engine. Pump goes then the injectors, watch out stay away.

Great commuter with a dash of fun to drive.
By vwtdi55 on 02/24/14 14:27 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car made me a believer in diesel. All that torque makes it feel like a much beefier motor than the 140HP rating would have you believe. When I purchased it I was driving nearly 80 mpd 80/20 hwy/city and averaging over 46 (set my cruise on 67 on the highway, but can't keep my foot out of the boost city). My job now has me driving 80-90% city and am averaging about 37-40 or around 700 miles per tank. 27K on it now. I have personally gotten 1039 miles on a tank in this car. I drove it from LaPlace, LA (just N or New Orleans) to the shore of Lake Michigan in Chicago then another 150 or so miles into N. Indiana. Filled up and still had almost a gallon left, 59.2MPG (hand calculated).

Solid, Reliable Family & Commuter Car
By popperoni2 on 01/14/14 11:31 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my 2013 Passat SE-TDI new in April 2013. I've put 16,000 miles on it since then. My daily commute is 35 mostly highway miles. We've taken the car on week-long road trips (from D.C. area) to Charleston, SC; Cleveland; Buffalo; and NYC area. I average 37 mpg per tank in mixed highway/local driving. It's an excellent cruising car, although the seats are a bit hard. I haven't noticed the road noise problems others talk about. Haven't had a single mechanical problem since I bought it. To me, the design is attractive inside and out. I highly recommend this car.

VW still has quality issues
By jld2 on 01/09/14 15:05 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

A new billion dollar factory and still quality issues. My fuel door fell off in my hand! And to add insult to injury they told me that I had to pay to fix it because it was an "external influence!" And when I inquired as to what the external influence was the customer service representative replied, "Cold weather!" So I have to pay $300.00 to replace my fuel filter door because it got cold in Pennsylvania! VW got the engine right. Great mileage, quiet operation, starts quickly in cold weather. The DSG is responsive but expensive, it costs over $300.00 every 40,000 miles to service. Too bad their lousy attention to details like designing a fuel door that will won't fall off.

All good but the electronics are ????????
By triton11 on 12/27/13 17:04 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

All in all I really like the car. I bought it new and have about 16,000 miles on it in around 9 months. My only complaint however, is the electronics. I have had the "Electronics replaced about 2 months ago and the new package is not much better. The "back-up camera" is so slow sometimes that I can back out of my 60' driveway and start down the street before it comes on !!!!! I have a driveway with a 90 degree turn just outside my garage. One day I waited about 10 seconds for the camera to come on, nothing happened, so I looked in my rear view mirrors and began backing out while glancing down at the screen and just as I backed into a truck in my driveway, the camera came on ... $1,000 !!!!!

Well Designed
By daddde on 12/03/13 07:13 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I just purchased the gas model Passat 2.5 SE and have been very delighted with the car. highway mileage has ranged from 36.5 to 39.7 based on travel. Trunk storage is amazing. The seating is comfortable and extremely roomy. I do agree that the stock tires are a bit noisy, but that has nothing to do with the high quality of the car and i would highly recommend this car to anyone.

Compares with cars that cost $10K more!
By 65dodgers on 10/29/13 13:01 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat V6 SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

I just bought a top of the line V-6 SEL Premium and I am loving it. I was looking for a luxury sedan with reasonable gas mileage and had driven almost everything under $45K. I was prepared to get the Cadillac ATS 2.0T Luxury with an MSRP of about $44K. I leased a new Passat for my wife back in '02 and remembered it was a reliable car so I thought I would stop at the VW dealer on my way to get the Cadillac. Needless to say I never made it to the Caddy dealer. This car blew me away with it's price and performance. The ride and interior space is comparable to the Mercedes E350 or Acura RL. For less than the price of a base model Cadillac ATS, I was able to get a fully loaded Passat V-6 SEL

Quality German sedan
By homerkc on 09/29/13 12:59 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the fifth VW I've owned and while not the most exciting, it is the highest quality! Smooth and comfortable, and very roomy. Back seat passengers are amazed. A terrific highway cruiser - every VW I've owned is as stable and smooth at 95mph as most cars are at 65. The 2.5 engine gets a bad rap, as it's more economical in real life than many of the newer turbo engines. I'm seeing 25 avg in around town driving, and 31 on a high speed trip through Texas. I shopped against a Fusion 1.6T and was certain the Ford would be my choice, but the quality of the VW shone through. I'm very satisfied with my choice.

1rst VW: Extremely Roomy, Insane MPG
By wilsonbrown on 09/22/13 15:17 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This car has as much room as an Audi A8 and the MPG of a much smaller car. Getting on average 42mpg. On highway, can get 56mpg on long trips.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Passat in VA is:

$154 per month*