Used 2013 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Not what I had hoped for
By 13passatowner

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I really enjoyed driving my 2013 Passat diesel but the turbo charger failed on it with 32K miles on it. We live in a rural area (sparsely populated/closest dealer is 1-1/2 hours away) and I have been talking to owners in the area and two others have had the same problem. This is my first VW and I am getting very concerned. I have had three Honda's and have not had any problems. Am thinking of trading off.

I really enjoy the steering and of course the gas mileage. Very comfortable seats.

Not a purchase I would repeat
By crazymom1

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Unlike the majority of females, I like to "drive" a car. I haven't owned anything that doesn't have a stick in 25 years, with the exception of a brief mind lapse with a Honda Pilot. We special ordered my Passat TDI with a 6 speed manual transmission.I've driven it 85k miles in 2 years. The only two things I like about this car is the cabin room, and the excellent mileage. The back seat space comfortable suits my 6'1" and 5'11" teenagers, and my 8 year old. The turbo lags, there aren't ample charging ports, no memory seats, HATE the stereo touch screen, cheap mirror control, needs a sensor light for re-gen. and on and on. Inside is cheaply made. Exterior is frumpy.

Mileage and cabin room.

6-speed manual- offer more options. Just because someone likes to shift, doesn't mean they want the base model. Seriously?? No memory seats. Didn't this technology come out in the 80's. Add more ports for charging. SD card? Who uses that? Change to memory stick. Also, put smartphone plug into dash or make access for cord in armrest, without having to crimp the cord. Back seat AC vents. You make a family car and don't provide vents for back seat passengers-cheap. The trunk is big, but I seemed to be able to fit the same amount of stuff into my TL with a nicer trunk shape. Needs a sensor light for when it's going to re-gen. Overall, very disappointed in this car, and won't buy another one.

First VW and First Turbodiesel
By bristowbob

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

There is not a lot I can say yet at 2000 miles, but my first impressions after a month are that this is a great vehicle. I did a 440 mile R/T from VA to NJ and averaged 51.8 mpg while cruising on crowded I-95 between 50 and 75, depending on traffic. Very comfortable, very quiet, smooth ride - all relative to my 10 year obsession with 3 Saabs, including the last 95. I notice some of what I consider to be turbo lag when I hit the gas from a full stop, but not a big deal so far...the engine still feels tight at 2000 miles. Acceleration on the freeway to pass traffic is terrific, no lag there. I'll write more as I add miles.

Comfort, MPGs, great sounding Fender audio system, conservative styling that will last for years, built in Chattanooga, but with a proven German powerplant and transmission.

I'm very pleased so far and have no suggestions for improvements at this time. Stay tuned...

1 year report
By pajeff

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After driving for a year and 20k miles here's my take on the Passat TDI. It takes bumps like a pickup truck, corners like a boat, and the technology of a car from 1990. Every time it rains the water rolls off of the roof and into the car when getting in/out or stopping at a drive-through. Is there anything good about this car????? Yes, the amount of space for passengers and luggage is enormous and I get the same milage as all those hybrids but I don't have to worry about a $7K battery swap in a few years. Bottom line buy if you're looking for space mad mileage. Plenty of other choices if tech or performance is higher on your list.

All windows have 1 touch window controls

Fix the water rolling off the roof all over passengers when door or window is opened. Improve the suspension. For the price of a TDI you should get more standard tech. Who doesn't have a garage door opener in 2013? Make improve the body so it's not so boring.

new to me cpo passat 2.5 s
By tunisjs

2013 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

i traded my cpo benz glk for a passat s. i wanted german driving at lower cost. i found it. i tested automatics jetta and passat, 2.5, 1.8 and diesel. the 1.8 really livens up the jetta, passat not so much. diesel with dsg is sluggish in town and costly at 40k service. i was most pleasantly surprised by the passat 2.5. not alot of driving difference with passat 1.8, $4k cheaper (both cpo), 2.5 online reputation is bullet proof while 1.8 is too new, i prefer cloth to fake leather seats. my 2.5 gave me 27mpg suburban dc area and 38mpg i95 and i64 dc to va bch, at or just above speed limits, hand calculated, almost unbelievable. my advice: try the passat in 2.5, great cpo deals now.

solid german driving feel: quiet, competent, fast, settled at high speeds. low cpo price with extended warranty. 0.9% vw cpo loan. surprisingly thrifty mpg, with regular gas. great get up and go (no turbo lag in the 2.5). internet chatter that 2.5 is bulletproof. buying a 2013 2.5 cpo vs a 2014 1.8 cpo saved $4k, got 3 yrs free oil changes vs 2. with that saved $4k i added stand alone sirius and navi units, and kept the change. do i miss my beloved glk? not really, it was due for yet more expensive maintenance and was clunky looking, small inside.

brighter low beam headlights. quicker radio with on screen written phone book. make a wolfsburg edition with cloth seats (i do miss built in sirius, better bluetooth phone and 17" tires). the professional automotive press has really dumped on the 2.5; take it with a huge dose of salt and try both passats for yourself (jetta 1.8 is a huge improvement, tho, it was too small for me).