Used 2013 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Bland Car
By happy163

2013 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So i got this Passat because I was upside down on my truck trade in by 12k. It was a lease and I thought the Passat would be a good car because they were so well built in the past. Well the car was extremely big for a single guy 5'10 180lbs. The back seat was huge. This car was for a family. The front suspension was too bouncy and the car just floated along like a Buick. The 2.5 liter engine was weirdly displaced, it only had a 5 cylinder. The power was meh, and the MPGs were nothing to brag about. I've had a few BMWs and VWs before this car and the German Engineering was almost non existence in this vehicle. Very disappointing.

Favorite Features

Auto lights, roomy, neat design,sunroof bluetooth and cool instrument panel

Suggested Improvements

Auto rainsensing wipers, better transmission, horrible 2.5 liter 5 Cylinder Engine. Very poor build quality from what I am used to, cheap plastics and dashboard rattled. Come on VW build something with pride and do a good job. Steering was too heavy and not sporty enough.

Nice car
By bullis1

2013 Volkswagen Passat Sedan V6 SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

Good overall car, gets good mpg on the highway 30+ with the VR6. Fender sound system real good. No Xenon lighlights on a car that cost $36k. Navigation is extremely slow. Trunk extremely deep.

Favorite Features

Dashboard and climate controls

Suggested Improvements

Improve the Nav start up time. Wider seats.

First Impressions
By jmciii

2013 Volkswagen Passat Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

First off, let me say I'v only had my 2013 Passat S for about three weeks, so don't expect any reliability reviews. But as regards my driving and build quality, well, read on. Yes, mine is the base model. Do I feel underwhelmed? No. The Passat S drives and handles just fine for basic family driving. Plenty of pep, smooth ride, and the "S"port gear when you need the extra oomph. So smooth is the ride that its easy to speed without knowing it. The interior is laid out cleanly and with all controls easily reached. LOVE the Bluetooth capability. Front seats are every comfortable. Huge leg room in back. And wow, what a trunk. I don't know how VW did it. Just wish the gas mileage were better.

Favorite Features

Love the Bluetooth. Controls are laid out cleanly. PLENTY of room inside. Huge trunk. Even basic engine has pep.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage in basic model.

new to me cpo passat 2.5 s
By tunisjs

2013 Volkswagen Passat Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

i traded my cpo benz glk for a passat s. i wanted german driving at lower cost. i found it. i tested automatics jetta and passat, 2.5, 1.8 and diesel. the 1.8 really livens up the jetta, passat not so much. diesel with dsg is sluggish in town and costly at 40k service. i was most pleasantly surprised by the passat 2.5. not alot of driving difference with passat 1.8, $4k cheaper (both cpo), 2.5 online reputation is bullet proof while 1.8 is too new, i prefer cloth to fake leather seats. my 2.5 gave me 27mpg suburban dc area and 38mpg i95 and i64 dc to va bch, at or just above speed limits, hand calculated, almost unbelievable. my advice: try the passat in 2.5, great cpo deals now.

Favorite Features

solid german driving feel: quiet, competent, fast, settled at high speeds. low cpo price with extended warranty. 0.9% vw cpo loan. surprisingly thrifty mpg, with regular gas. great get up and go (no turbo lag in the 2.5). internet chatter that 2.5 is bulletproof. buying a 2013 2.5 cpo vs a 2014 1.8 cpo saved $4k, got 3 yrs free oil changes vs 2. with that saved $4k i added stand alone sirius and navi units, and kept the change. do i miss my beloved glk? not really, it was due for yet more expensive maintenance and was clunky looking, small inside.

Suggested Improvements

brighter low beam headlights. quicker radio with on screen written phone book. make a wolfsburg edition with cloth seats (i do miss built in sirius, better bluetooth phone and 17" tires). the professional automotive press has really dumped on the 2.5; take it with a huge dose of salt and try both passats for yourself (jetta 1.8 is a huge improvement, tho, it was too small for me).

Got most things right - but one big annoyances!
By knickle

2013 Volkswagen Passat Sedan V6 SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

Initially I really loved my purchase. I like the simple layout and nice styling over some competitors. The only real complaint I have is the DSG lag - which is a noticable lag from a stop [think turbo lag but more annoying] but as it impacts every day driving I think it would make me not buy this model again. I recommend 1.8L Turbo 4cl as it's not DGS. Gets great mileage and all the other benefits I like about this car but does not have a DSG transmission. If you want V6 I would have to recommend the Accord over the Passat based solely on the DSG lag. Could be me being too critical though - I do suggest you test drive a passat.

Favorite Features

-V6 Has great power and I get 27mpg driving fast with about 75% highway driving. - TONS of room and comfortable seats. I'm 6'7 and can sit behind myself. - Top crash test ratings. - Enough room in back for baby seat without having to move front seats forward! - Good overall value IMO - Driving Dynamics - Tons of trunk space

Suggested Improvements

- MAIN gripe is the DGS Lag - a noticable lag from a stop (Like Turbo lag but more annoying) - Touch Screen is slow to load when you start the car (thus so is back-up camera) and slow to react to selections. - Paint chips easily (not the case on my VW's in the past)