2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
First VW and First Turbodiesel
By bristowbob on 06/30/14 10:21 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

There is not a lot I can say yet at 2000 miles, but my first impressions after a month are that this is a great vehicle. I did a 440 mile R/T from VA to NJ and averaged 51.8 mpg while cruising on crowded I-95 between 50 and 75, depending on traffic. Very comfortable, very quiet, smooth ride - all relative to my 10 year obsession with 3 Saabs, including the last 95. I notice some of what I consider to be turbo lag when I hit the gas from a full stop, but not a big deal so far...the engine still feels tight at 2000 miles. Acceleration on the freeway to pass traffic is terrific, no lag there. I'll write more as I add miles.

We Bought Two and Both Cars blew the Turbo
By bubbastarr on 04/24/14 08:43 AM (PDT)

The gas milage is great, the luxury is good. The tranmission can be unresponsive, expecially in the cold. We bought two for our company and both have blown the turbo. One at 30k and the other at 18k.

Second Review
By brian_h on 03/31/14 13:01 PM (PDT)

I posted in November 2012 short after I bought my car. It has performed well w/ mileage averaging around 38-40 mpg with currently 50k on the car and I drive 110 miles/day battling a 2000 foot elevation change into the Wyoming wind in one of those directions. Still really like and enjoy this car. There remain a few electronic issues that are dismaying but I will not let them dampen my enjoyment of this car. The only part I have had to have replaced is the heat/AC blower due to freezing up in some subzero weather.

Would not purchase again
By j__c on 03/22/14 18:40 PM (PDT)

I purchased this 2013 TDI SEL Premium in October 2013. It already had one owner and 32k miles. I now have 45k miles on the car. Fuel mileage is about 40 MPG with 60% hwy 40% city.

All good but the electronics are ????????
By triton11 on 12/27/13 17:04 PM (PST)

All in all I really like the car. I bought it new and have about 16,000 miles on it in around 9 months. My only complaint however, is the electronics. I have had the "Electronics replaced about 2 months ago and the new package is not much better. The "back-up camera" is so slow sometimes that I can back out of my 60' driveway and start down the street before it comes on !!!!! I have a driveway with a 90 degree turn just outside my garage. One day I waited about 10 seconds for the camera to come on, nothing happened, so I looked in my rear view mirrors and began backing out while glancing down at the screen and just as I backed into a truck in my driveway, the camera came on ... $1,000 !!!!!

1rst VW: Extremely Roomy, Insane MPG
By wilsonbrown on 09/22/13 15:17 PM (PDT)

This car has as much room as an Audi A8 and the MPG of a much smaller car. Getting on average 42mpg. On highway, can get 56mpg on long trips.

VW Passat - Great family car with MPG!
By nanuman on 09/10/13 12:31 PM (PDT)

I have had this vehicle for about a month now and have around 2800 miles on it. I love the great gas mileage, averaging about 42 combined city/hwy. I have had one repair for a broken rear door lock that was fixed the next day by the dealer and no other issues since then. This car has the most room to the point the kids feel it is too big. Has great trunk space and with the diesel tdi has lots of power off of the line. Nice and quiet and very comfortable to drive and ride in. Very happy with this purchase.

I love my passat
By gtrejo on 09/03/13 22:57 PM (PDT)

I got my TDI SEL Premium a month ago. It is just great, I was looking for a family car but I wanted something that was not that flashy that after a couple of years would look dated. In my opinion the passant is very modern but yet is conservative. I expect this car to still look fine in the future. It drives very nice, at every moment you know what is happening around, the steering is precise and it has been very well tuned. The DSG is just smooth and precise. All the controls are well laid out and very easy to read. The seats are supportive and there's a lot of space for both front and rear passengers. The cabin is luxurious. It is difficult to beat the 40-48 mpg I'm getting!!

Amazing Car!
By gilicata12 on 08/28/13 17:21 PM (PDT)

I got my 2013 Passat TDI last week. I traded in a 2010 Mercedes E550 for it. I love my Passat more than the Benz. The ride is outstanding, some people complain of noise but I think it is more quiet than an E-class. I do a lot of suburban driving so I am kicking EPA fuel estimates out the window. I get about 40mpg city and about 48mpg highway. This car also handles better than any other car I test drove. This car beats the competition. I feel extremely safe in this car. The doors are heavy and the feel of being safe is extremely important to me. The interior design of the car just makes sense. There is a place for everything and everything is in its place. This is the best car VW has made.

Just bought it
By sunnybeach on 07/26/13 13:52 PM (PDT)

Picked the 2013 Passat SEL TDI premium up at VW of Beaumont last night. Paid 29.9k before taxes 32.2k with taxes and dealer fees. 0% Financing! Wife drove it 95 miles back to Humble Texas and was very impressed with the ride, comfort and features. Most of which she does not know how to use yet! We ran 75-80 most of the way home and registered 43.2 avg mpg for that trip! Drove it at 65 for a stretch and the instant mpg was reading 48.4 consistantly! I am 6'3" 265 lbs and the seating fit me very well. My wife is 5'4" 125 lbs and the seating fit her very well too. I rode in the back seat for a spell and found that it has plenty of room for a big tall person like myself.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel in VA is:

$132 per month*