2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
First VW and First Turbodiesel
By bristowbob on 06/30/14 10:21 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

There is not a lot I can say yet at 2000 miles, but my first impressions after a month are that this is a great vehicle. I did a 440 mile R/T from VA to NJ and averaged 51.8 mpg while cruising on crowded I-95 between 50 and 75, depending on traffic. Very comfortable, very quiet, smooth ride - all relative to my 10 year obsession with 3 Saabs, including the last 95. I notice some of what I consider to be turbo lag when I hit the gas from a full stop, but not a big deal so far...the engine still feels tight at 2000 miles. Acceleration on the freeway to pass traffic is terrific, no lag there. I'll write more as I add miles.

1 year report
By pajeff on 06/29/14 05:59 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After driving for a year and 20k miles here's my take on the Passat TDI. It takes bumps like a pickup truck, corners like a boat, and the technology of a car from 1990. Every time it rains the water rolls off of the roof and into the car when getting in/out or stopping at a drive-through. Is there anything good about this car????? Yes, the amount of space for passengers and luggage is enormous and I get the same milage as all those hybrids but I don't have to worry about a $7K battery swap in a few years. Bottom line buy if you're looking for space mad mileage. Plenty of other choices if tech or performance is higher on your list.

Not the worst car on the road
By weezy23 on 05/11/14 22:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I was skeptical at first when I test drove the Passat TDI. BMW/Audi/Mercedes all offer diesels, but not one of them will mate it to a manual transmission (at least here in the colonies). That is a key selling point to me, so VW won my bid. I do get people telling me to check on my engine, because it sounds a little rough, then I tell them its a diesel, its supposed to sound like that, then they go in for a closer inspection and see the stick and generally get surprised. The cabin does tend to get a little loud on the freeway, the bluetooth is iffy, at best and I can't have a sunroof with a manual trans. Small price to pay for that gas milage, so I don't really complain much

my 4th TDI...LOVE IT.
By chimayred on 04/27/14 12:17 PM (PDT)

i'm not a gear head but i like cars. I've owned a Lexus LX470, 330, AUdi TT, Dodge Stealth, Dodge Durango, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mercedes C260, couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees, 2 Jetta TDI's and a 2006 Passat TDI. I absolutely love it. Drives great, use it without snow tires in Maine winter, drive 35000 miles a year, getting 49mpg highway regularly, looks great, great fit and finish, great sound system. I've already put 70,000 miles on it (65,000 miles on original equipment Continental all seasons). I drove this entire horrible Maine winter with those tires and 50,000 miles on them. This is easily better built than my wife's Mercede's C 260 (so much so that she wants one).

Great Choice
By jwalt300 on 04/26/14 10:04 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I've had this car for just over one year, but have already put 41k miles on it. Had a very small problem early (round 3k miles), where the passenger seatbelt light came on. Dealer fixed it and I've had no problems since. I'm averaging 41mpg (up and down hills/mountains) commuting to work, and I've gotten as high as 55mpg on "normal" trips. MPG under city conditions not as good (avg maybe 32-36), but still not bad. The more you stay on the highway, the better your mpg. Good leg and shoulder room for tall people (I'm 6'3). Seats could be a little more comfortable, but maybe it's because I sit there for longer periods.

We Bought Two and Both Cars blew the Turbo
By bubbastarr on 04/24/14 08:43 AM (PDT)

The gas milage is great, the luxury is good. The tranmission can be unresponsive, expecially in the cold. We bought two for our company and both have blown the turbo. One at 30k and the other at 18k.

Second Review
By brian_h on 03/31/14 13:01 PM (PDT)

I posted in November 2012 short after I bought my car. It has performed well w/ mileage averaging around 38-40 mpg with currently 50k on the car and I drive 110 miles/day battling a 2000 foot elevation change into the Wyoming wind in one of those directions. Still really like and enjoy this car. There remain a few electronic issues that are dismaying but I will not let them dampen my enjoyment of this car. The only part I have had to have replaced is the heat/AC blower due to freezing up in some subzero weather.

Would not purchase again
By j__c on 03/22/14 18:40 PM (PDT)

I purchased this 2013 TDI SEL Premium in October 2013. It already had one owner and 32k miles. I now have 45k miles on the car. Fuel mileage is about 40 MPG with 60% hwy 40% city.

Watch out for Passat TDI
By joe473 on 03/11/14 11:41 AM (PDT)

Volkswagon knows they have an issue with the Passat and they should do a recall. The issue is with the fuel pump and the high compression. They blame you the consumer and blame you for putting gasoline in a diesel engine. Pump goes then the injectors, watch out stay away.

Great commuter with a dash of fun to drive.
By vwtdi55 on 02/24/14 14:27 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car made me a believer in diesel. All that torque makes it feel like a much beefier motor than the 140HP rating would have you believe. When I purchased it I was driving nearly 80 mpd 80/20 hwy/city and averaging over 46 (set my cruise on 67 on the highway, but can't keep my foot out of the boost city). My job now has me driving 80-90% city and am averaging about 37-40 or around 700 miles per tank. 27K on it now. I have personally gotten 1039 miles on a tank in this car. I drove it from LaPlace, LA (just N or New Orleans) to the shore of Lake Michigan in Chicago then another 150 or so miles into N. Indiana. Filled up and still had almost a gallon left, 59.2MPG (hand calculated).

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel in VA is:

$159 per month*