Used 2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Turbo, inter-cooler and oil pump all died
By zebrafarm

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I owned a 2013 VW Passat TDI for 8 months. I bought it with 13K miles & traded it in at 29K. At the 29K mileage the turbo went out & I limped home which was only about 2 miles away. The VW dealer had it towed in & it took 10 days for them to complete the repair. If the car had not been under warranty the repair cost would had been $6000+. The parts alone were $3500. The mechanic at the VW dealer said, " We found metal parts from the turbo in the inter-cooler and oil pump, so we flushed the engine & we hope that cleaned it out". At that point I knew I would have to get rid of the car. A design flaw like that will kill an engine & cost $9000+ without warranty. Very poor design engineering!!

Favorite Features

The best thing about the car is how it handled and it had good acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

The design engineers need to do their due diligence on the oil circulation on engine oil as it moves through the intercooler and turbo, before the design is released to the pubic. This design fault should have been a full recall for all these vehicles.

Not what I had hoped for
By 13passatowner

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I really enjoyed driving my 2013 Passat diesel but the turbo charger failed on it with 32K miles on it. We live in a rural area (sparsely populated/closest dealer is 1-1/2 hours away) and I have been talking to owners in the area and two others have had the same problem. This is my first VW and I am getting very concerned. I have had three Honda's and have not had any problems. Am thinking of trading off.

Favorite Features

I really enjoy the steering and of course the gas mileage. Very comfortable seats.

Not a purchase I would repeat
By crazymom1

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Unlike the majority of females, I like to "drive" a car. I haven't owned anything that doesn't have a stick in 25 years, with the exception of a brief mind lapse with a Honda Pilot. We special ordered my Passat TDI with a 6 speed manual transmission.I've driven it 85k miles in 2 years. The only two things I like about this car is the cabin room, and the excellent mileage. The back seat space comfortable suits my 6'1" and 5'11" teenagers, and my 8 year old. The turbo lags, there aren't ample charging ports, no memory seats, HATE the stereo touch screen, cheap mirror control, needs a sensor light for re-gen. and on and on. Inside is cheaply made. Exterior is frumpy.

Favorite Features

Mileage and cabin room.

Suggested Improvements

6-speed manual- offer more options. Just because someone likes to shift, doesn't mean they want the base model. Seriously?? No memory seats. Didn't this technology come out in the 80's. Add more ports for charging. SD card? Who uses that? Change to memory stick. Also, put smartphone plug into dash or make access for cord in armrest, without having to crimp the cord. Back seat AC vents. You make a family car and don't provide vents for back seat passengers-cheap. The trunk is big, but I seemed to be able to fit the same amount of stuff into my TL with a nicer trunk shape. Needs a sensor light for when it's going to re-gen. Overall, very disappointed in this car, and won't buy another one.

First VW and First Turbodiesel
By bristowbob

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

There is not a lot I can say yet at 2000 miles, but my first impressions after a month are that this is a great vehicle. I did a 440 mile R/T from VA to NJ and averaged 51.8 mpg while cruising on crowded I-95 between 50 and 75, depending on traffic. Very comfortable, very quiet, smooth ride - all relative to my 10 year obsession with 3 Saabs, including the last 95. I notice some of what I consider to be turbo lag when I hit the gas from a full stop, but not a big deal so far...the engine still feels tight at 2000 miles. Acceleration on the freeway to pass traffic is terrific, no lag there. I'll write more as I add miles.

Favorite Features

Comfort, MPGs, great sounding Fender audio system, conservative styling that will last for years, built in Chattanooga, but with a proven German powerplant and transmission.

Suggested Improvements

I'm very pleased so far and have no suggestions for improvements at this time. Stay tuned...

1 year report
By pajeff

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After driving for a year and 20k miles here's my take on the Passat TDI. It takes bumps like a pickup truck, corners like a boat, and the technology of a car from 1990. Every time it rains the water rolls off of the roof and into the car when getting in/out or stopping at a drive-through. Is there anything good about this car????? Yes, the amount of space for passengers and luggage is enormous and I get the same milage as all those hybrids but I don't have to worry about a $7K battery swap in a few years. Bottom line buy if you're looking for space mad mileage. Plenty of other choices if tech or performance is higher on your list.

Favorite Features

All windows have 1 touch window controls

Suggested Improvements

Fix the water rolling off the roof all over passengers when door or window is opened. Improve the suspension. For the price of a TDI you should get more standard tech. Who doesn't have a garage door opener in 2013? Make improve the body so it's not so boring.