Used 2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Family Car
By Mattihas Frontzek

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Long term review
By Ray P

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Not to get into my utter disgust with the TDI cheating scandal, my car had suffered a turbo failure at 36K like many others along with urea tank replacement at 70K. Other than the above issues the car was fairly decent. My only major issue that I have paid for dearly is related to poor ergonomics due to poor driver seat, misalignment with respect to steering as well as gas and brake pedals. These became obvious in time unfortunately after logging lots of miles. Another annoyance was the diminutive buttons and their location for cruise control especially for long commutes.

Buyer beware
By Jamie

I bought my second Passat on 2013 - a TDI Diesel for the mileage since I have a long work commute.
The cost of my checkup last year by the dealer was ~$600 since they are the only ones that can add the blue liquid stuff.
I just had to take it in 12 months post the expensive checkup because the blue tank heater stopped working and this cost ~$1400. Outrageous. And everyone I talk to that owns or has owned a TDI had to replace the same part. Defective part coupled with bad engineering.
I will not be buying another VW product.

They almost knocked it out of the park
By CN

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This the fourth diesel we've owned (2nd VW) and they just keep getting better. We bought this car after comparing it to the Honda Accord and Subaru Legacy. It, by far, was the most refined, quietest, smoothest, and most composed of the three. Surprisingly (to us) the Honda was a distant last. After 42,000 miles over 2 years, the car has been flawless. Mileage is consistently between 42 and 44 over a tank with 60% hwy / 40% city split. Open highway runs are typically in the mid to upper 40s. I've seen as high as 52 mpg.

The DSG transmission is the mark by which ALL other transmissions should be compared with respect to smoothness of operation. I have never driven a car with a smoother shifting transmission than this one. Even when one watches the shifts, they cannot be felt; utterly imperceptible. It has the most room of any mid-size car, especially in the back seat. It handles well, and ergonomics, while not perfect, are very good.

The diesel engine does take getting used to. One of my sons says it's "touchy". It's not, really; just behaves differently than most other cars. Pulling power is quite good thanks to the abundance of torque, though with only 140 hp one isn't going to win any stoplight races. Then again, that's not why one would buy this car in the first place.

My quibbles with the car boil down to three items. First, the ride, while composed, can become somewhat harsh. The 50 series tires certainly don't help, but softening the ride slightly would make a big difference in my book. Second, some of the interior parts are on the cheap side. Not as bad as the crap Toyota uses, but they could be better, or at least made to "feel" better. Last, and by far the worst issue, is the infotainment system. It is unquestionably the absolute worst excuse for such a system ever put in a vehicle. While the radio sounds great, and the nav system is quite good, the system is so pathetically slow to respond to input it is maddening. Taking my time, I can back out of a parking spot and drive off before the back-up camera ever turns on. I can literally count the seconds it takes between pushing a button and the system taking action. I could go on about how bad it is, but I digress...

Overall, the car had been outstanding. More reliable than a Honda we recently replaced, it has continued to be exactly what we needed.

Update - We now have a bit over 52,000 miles on the clock. The car has remained trouble-free. The fuel economy of 41-43 mpg (average over a fill-up) is unchanged. We expect to put at least 100,000 miles on the car before replacing it. Of course, with the emissions debacle (grossly overblown in our opinion) in full swing, we really couldn't doing anything if we wanted to (which we don't) until whatever solution the eco-Nazis force on us is implemented. On the bright side of that issue, though, VW's Goodwill Package has effectively provided us with free maintenance for the next two years, and that will be about the time we would look at replacing it anyway. That makes this the least expensive car to operate we have ever owned.

Turbo, inter-cooler and oil pump all died
By zebrafarm

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I owned a 2013 VW Passat TDI for 8 months. I bought it with 13K miles & traded it in at 29K. At the 29K mileage the turbo went out & I limped home which was only about 2 miles away. The VW dealer had it towed in & it took 10 days for them to complete the repair. If the car had not been under warranty the repair cost would had been $6000+. The parts alone were $3500. The mechanic at the VW dealer said, " We found metal parts from the turbo in the inter-cooler and oil pump, so we flushed the engine & we hope that cleaned it out". At that point I knew I would have to get rid of the car. A design flaw like that will kill an engine & cost $9000+ without warranty. Very poor design engineering!!

The best thing about the car is how it handled and it had good acceleration.

The design engineers need to do their due diligence on the oil circulation on engine oil as it moves through the intercooler and turbo, before the design is released to the pubic. This design fault should have been a full recall for all these vehicles.