2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Nice car
By bullis1 on 12/24/14 12:41 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat V6 SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

Good overall car, gets good mpg on the highway 30+ with the VR6. Fender sound system real good. No Xenon lighlights on a car that cost $36k. Navigation is extremely slow. Trunk extremely deep.

Turbo, inter-cooler and oil pump all died
By zebrafarm on 12/20/14 15:22 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I owned a 2013 VW Passat TDI for 8 months. I bought it with 13K miles & traded it in at 29K. At the 29K mileage the turbo went out & I limped home which was only about 2 miles away. The VW dealer had it towed in & it took 10 days for them to complete the repair. If the car had not been under warranty the repair cost would had been $6000+. The parts alone were $3500. The mechanic at the VW dealer said, " We found metal parts from the turbo in the inter-cooler and oil pump, so we flushed the engine & we hope that cleaned it out". At that point I knew I would have to get rid of the car. A design flaw like that will kill an engine & cost $9000+ without warranty. Very poor design engineering!!

First Impressions
By jmciii on 08/22/14 16:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

First off, let me say I'v only had my 2013 Passat S for about three weeks, so don't expect any reliability reviews. But as regards my driving and build quality, well, read on. Yes, mine is the base model. Do I feel underwhelmed? No. The Passat S drives and handles just fine for basic family driving. Plenty of pep, smooth ride, and the "S"port gear when you need the extra oomph. So smooth is the ride that its easy to speed without knowing it. The interior is laid out cleanly and with all controls easily reached. LOVE the Bluetooth capability. Front seats are every comfortable. Huge leg room in back. And wow, what a trunk. I don't know how VW did it. Just wish the gas mileage were better.

Not what I had hoped for
By 13passatowner on 08/14/14 14:35 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I really enjoyed driving my 2013 Passat diesel but the turbo charger failed on it with 32K miles on it. We live in a rural area (sparsely populated/closest dealer is 1-1/2 hours away) and I have been talking to owners in the area and two others have had the same problem. This is my first VW and I am getting very concerned. I have had three Honda's and have not had any problems. Am thinking of trading off.

Not a purchase I would repeat
By crazymom1 on 07/27/14 10:40 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Unlike the majority of females, I like to "drive" a car. I haven't owned anything that doesn't have a stick in 25 years, with the exception of a brief mind lapse with a Honda Pilot. We special ordered my Passat TDI with a 6 speed manual transmission.I've driven it 85k miles in 2 years. The only two things I like about this car is the cabin room, and the excellent mileage. The back seat space comfortable suits my 6'1" and 5'11" teenagers, and my 8 year old. The turbo lags, there aren't ample charging ports, no memory seats, HATE the stereo touch screen, cheap mirror control, needs a sensor light for re-gen. and on and on. Inside is cheaply made. Exterior is frumpy.

First VW and First Turbodiesel
By bristowbob on 06/30/14 10:21 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

There is not a lot I can say yet at 2000 miles, but my first impressions after a month are that this is a great vehicle. I did a 440 mile R/T from VA to NJ and averaged 51.8 mpg while cruising on crowded I-95 between 50 and 75, depending on traffic. Very comfortable, very quiet, smooth ride - all relative to my 10 year obsession with 3 Saabs, including the last 95. I notice some of what I consider to be turbo lag when I hit the gas from a full stop, but not a big deal so far...the engine still feels tight at 2000 miles. Acceleration on the freeway to pass traffic is terrific, no lag there. I'll write more as I add miles.

1 year report
By pajeff on 06/29/14 05:59 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After driving for a year and 20k miles here's my take on the Passat TDI. It takes bumps like a pickup truck, corners like a boat, and the technology of a car from 1990. Every time it rains the water rolls off of the roof and into the car when getting in/out or stopping at a drive-through. Is there anything good about this car????? Yes, the amount of space for passengers and luggage is enormous and I get the same milage as all those hybrids but I don't have to worry about a $7K battery swap in a few years. Bottom line buy if you're looking for space mad mileage. Plenty of other choices if tech or performance is higher on your list.

new to me cpo passat 2.5 s
By tunisjs on 06/20/14 11:50 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

i traded my cpo benz glk for a passat s. i wanted german driving at lower cost. i found it. i tested automatics jetta and passat, 2.5, 1.8 and diesel. the 1.8 really livens up the jetta, passat not so much. diesel with dsg is sluggish in town and costly at 40k service. i was most pleasantly surprised by the passat 2.5. not alot of driving difference with passat 1.8, $4k cheaper (both cpo), 2.5 online reputation is bullet proof while 1.8 is too new, i prefer cloth to fake leather seats. my 2.5 gave me 27mpg suburban dc area and 38mpg i95 and i64 dc to va bch, at or just above speed limits, hand calculated, almost unbelievable. my advice: try the passat in 2.5, great cpo deals now.

Got most things right - but one big annoyances!
By knickle on 06/12/14 07:53 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat V6 SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

Initially I really loved my purchase. I like the simple layout and nice styling over some competitors. The only real complaint I have is the DSG lag - which is a noticable lag from a stop [think turbo lag but more annoying] but as it impacts every day driving I think it would make me not buy this model again. I recommend 1.8L Turbo 4cl as it's not DGS. Gets great mileage and all the other benefits I like about this car but does not have a DSG transmission. If you want V6 I would have to recommend the Accord over the Passat based solely on the DSG lag. Could be me being too critical though - I do suggest you test drive a passat.

Big Mistake
By navyraptor on 05/30/14 10:22 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife @ I were in the market of purchasing a family sedan and ended up choosing the Passat SE. At first, it was a toss up who loved the car more-my wife or kids. The stereo system is awesome-the sunroof w/ its variable selections is right on, the way it handles a curve in the road or tight turns is very impressive and the leather seats are extremely comfy. At 29,000 miles the brakes started making that squeaking sound(rotors/pads required replacement) headlights are on recall from VW, the paint chips very easily and random computer messages keep popping up on the dash for no apparent reason. Just today the battery went dead and needs replacing. Trading it in on 2014 Ford Fusion SE!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Passat in VA is:

$152 per month*