Used 2013 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Bland Car
By happy163

2013 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So i got this Passat because I was upside down on my truck trade in by 12k. It was a lease and I thought the Passat would be a good car because they were so well built in the past. Well the car was extremely big for a single guy 5'10 180lbs. The back seat was huge. This car was for a family. The front suspension was too bouncy and the car just floated along like a Buick. The 2.5 liter engine was weirdly displaced, it only had a 5 cylinder. The power was meh, and the MPGs were nothing to brag about. I've had a few BMWs and VWs before this car and the German Engineering was almost non existence in this vehicle. Very disappointing.

Favorite Features

Auto lights, roomy, neat design,sunroof bluetooth and cool instrument panel

Suggested Improvements

Auto rainsensing wipers, better transmission, horrible 2.5 liter 5 Cylinder Engine. Very poor build quality from what I am used to, cheap plastics and dashboard rattled. Come on VW build something with pride and do a good job. Steering was too heavy and not sporty enough.

Nice car
By bullis1

2013 Volkswagen Passat V6 SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

Good overall car, gets good mpg on the highway 30+ with the VR6. Fender sound system real good. No Xenon lighlights on a car that cost $36k. Navigation is extremely slow. Trunk extremely deep.

Favorite Features

Dashboard and climate controls

Suggested Improvements

Improve the Nav start up time. Wider seats.

Turbo, inter-cooler and oil pump all died
By zebrafarm

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I owned a 2013 VW Passat TDI for 8 months. I bought it with 13K miles & traded it in at 29K. At the 29K mileage the turbo went out & I limped home which was only about 2 miles away. The VW dealer had it towed in & it took 10 days for them to complete the repair. If the car had not been under warranty the repair cost would had been $6000+. The parts alone were $3500. The mechanic at the VW dealer said, " We found metal parts from the turbo in the inter-cooler and oil pump, so we flushed the engine & we hope that cleaned it out". At that point I knew I would have to get rid of the car. A design flaw like that will kill an engine & cost $9000+ without warranty. Very poor design engineering!!

Favorite Features

The best thing about the car is how it handled and it had good acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

The design engineers need to do their due diligence on the oil circulation on engine oil as it moves through the intercooler and turbo, before the design is released to the pubic. This design fault should have been a full recall for all these vehicles.

First Impressions
By jmciii

2013 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

First off, let me say I'v only had my 2013 Passat S for about three weeks, so don't expect any reliability reviews. But as regards my driving and build quality, well, read on. Yes, mine is the base model. Do I feel underwhelmed? No. The Passat S drives and handles just fine for basic family driving. Plenty of pep, smooth ride, and the "S"port gear when you need the extra oomph. So smooth is the ride that its easy to speed without knowing it. The interior is laid out cleanly and with all controls easily reached. LOVE the Bluetooth capability. Front seats are every comfortable. Huge leg room in back. And wow, what a trunk. I don't know how VW did it. Just wish the gas mileage were better.

Favorite Features

Love the Bluetooth. Controls are laid out cleanly. PLENTY of room inside. Huge trunk. Even basic engine has pep.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage in basic model.

Not what I had hoped for
By 13passatowner

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I really enjoyed driving my 2013 Passat diesel but the turbo charger failed on it with 32K miles on it. We live in a rural area (sparsely populated/closest dealer is 1-1/2 hours away) and I have been talking to owners in the area and two others have had the same problem. This is my first VW and I am getting very concerned. I have had three Honda's and have not had any problems. Am thinking of trading off.

Favorite Features

I really enjoy the steering and of course the gas mileage. Very comfortable seats.