2012 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: My Sweet New High Mileage Girl

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Review

My Sweet New High Mileage Girl
By wayneq on

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

After shopping the top-rated mid-sized sedans to transport my growing family and drive on rather long bi-monthly business trips, I settled on the Passat TDI SE. Since my driving does not often take me where there is a lot of stop and go traffic, I opted for the six speed manual transmission. Both times I test drove the car, it made a reverberating impression on my sense of quality and design like no other car in its class could. Its lines are elegant and sublime. It looks and drives like a much more expensive car than it is. I've had her for less than a month but it feels like a marriage made in heaven so far. (Update to follow)

Classy, timeless design inside and out that should age well; Solid, precise construction; Smooth ride and handling; Comfortable, quiet cabin for a 6'3"/220 man at speed; Even the base TDI SE is loaded with high-tech features standard, such as Bluetooth, heated seats and mirrors, auto headlights, Satellite Radio, touch screen display, trip computer; Torquey yet quiet diesel engine that achieves outstanding fuel economy, especially for a car this size; Large back seat and trunk; Good clutch and shifter feel - and that's coming from someone who has owned a Mazda, an Acura and four Hondas with manual transmissions.

HID headlights and a backup camera should be available, at least on the higher trim levels. Sunroof should be available on TDI SE with manual transmission. Offer moonrock grey interior with more exterior colors.