2012 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Missed Opportunity - Poor Qual

2012 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

TDI SE Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Manual)

Missed Opportunity - Poor Quality
By dfwtdi on

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Let start by saying VW designed this car for people like me at they got my attention. I went out and bought one. In favorite features I will list what I love but: In my 2012 Passat TDI I get a pretty loud fuel sloshing noise from the back. The dealership confirmed the sound exists in other 2012 Passat TDIs as well. This sound is at it's loudest when the diesel tank is about 1/2 to 3/4 full; it makes loud thuds (diesel sloshing sounds). The VW service manager is very helpful but he says that is a design flaw and VW does not have a solution for it right now. He says may be if enough people complain they will come up with a solution. Besides this I have at least three different rattles fixed.

VW got my attention with this car. The car is big enough for a family of four and their stuff. Best of all it is the only car with fuel saving diesel option in this price range. I wanted a true European car experience without paying for a BMW or Benz. So I went out and bought a VW Diesel Passat with 6 speed manual transmission. I regularly get 40 in the city and 46 on the highway(70 mph + speeds). I love the engine and trans combo. While the suspension could have been little better I am not complaining on that, it is way better than the Camry I had before. I have always loved VW alloy wheels. The interior while simple it is modern classic.

Fix the rattles........Fix the fuel tank sloshing/thud noise...... In a car that cost $27K - $33K this is unacceptable. My car has had rattles from day one. It is embarrassing when you have a car that does not even have license plates on them and it rattles like 2-3 year old car. This car has a lot of potential, don't let it be your missed opportunity. I am the first one in my friend circle to give a shot to VW and as it stands right now I cannot recommend this car, unless you are looking for a diesel med size car than you just don't have another option besides 2012 VW Passat.
By bnhocking1
on 10/21/12 07:25 AM (PDT)

I get the fuel tank sloshing noise. I cant hear it when I am diving it only when I come into a parking spot and use a good amount of breaks and immediately get out of the car, you can hear it slosh about 4 or 5 times. Would be nice to have a baffle in the tank, only a minor annoyance. I thought my car had a rattle in it but i found out that it was my garage door opener in the sun glass holder, that would be nice if it were felt lined to prevent scratching or rattling. I agree it is a $30k car, it is so close to perfection they just skimped on a few things. For those that say the interior has gotten cheaper feeling, guess what the value of the US dollar has dropped and materials have gotten more expensive. What the Passat of ol'? get a VW CC.

By mercuriciodide
on 08/02/12 21:12 PM (PDT)

I don't hear any sloshing sound. If I did, it hasn't been something I've noticed enough to remember. I don't think your service manager's claim is true. I have stories of my own, unfortunately.