Just got my Passat TDI SE
By cracovia on
2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
Two days ago I picked my 2012 Passat TDI SE. Did not fancy more options than those that came with the standard options package. Did not care much for a motorized glass sunroof that one has to take if one wants a 6 speed GSD transmission, but accepted it after trying how it works on a demo car. The car is phenomenal. On the way to work (20 miles one way) twice in the row I got an average of 45 mpg. hitting in some places 50.8 (what the gage said anyway). The inetrior is as roomy as my old 2003 Infiniti I35 that I was parting with. Got as many or more features. Quiet, soft but sensible ride, good road adhesion and styling. If f you have to chose between this car and Camry or Accord buy TDI.
Favorite Features
Soft semi sporty ride, Standard featured with TDI Option. Letherette feels just like real lether, standard heated seats and mirrors. Superb touch screen stereo, rear legroom, responsive steering, unbelievable acceleration for a small 2.0 turbo Diesel. Don't be scared by adding AdBlue (5 gallons every 10,000 miles, 3 years for free on VW). This is a simple Urea solution that can be had for $12 for 2.5 gallons jug at Autozone under BlueSky name brand or on-line for similar price. By using it you are helping the enviroinment by reducing NOX anyway. Bluetooth option is superb. Tried it works great. Don't go for SEL. You'll get stiffer 18" wheels, fake wood trim and stupid button and remote start
Suggested Improvements
I am abig guy and a center console interfers slightly with my right leg, why on a long trip. I am missing my Infinity standard memory seat posiyion buttons. Wish SE has a passanger motorized seat as well. SEL does, but at what price difference after you pay for all unnecessary things. GPS is so cheap now. A built in unit impressed people 4-3 years ago but not anymore. My detacheable Garmin works just fine. Unless you are into pushing the stick shift up or down sport option is no big deal. With no clutch pedal there is no fun anyway.
By camryhybrid12
on 10/25/11 18:22 PM (PDT)

Forgot to mention, the TDI DSG transmission will require expensive oil change/fluid change. I was quoated $1000 just for the DSG change every 40K miles or so. VW should have used the AdBlue free converter they use in their Jetta 2012.. not drag the old AdBlue technology (there is a converter that requires no AdBlue). Also while initial acceleration is OK (high troque) the passing acceleration is slow (when you pass that big semi truck on the highway...) because the 140HP is not enough for such a heavy car. There are other differences, but you need to decide for yourself. I test drive it and a Camry and going for the XLE Hybrid with Convinience and Entune packages (you do not need get these, you can get just base XLE without additional options, and it will offer all that you wanted).

By longstreet
on 03/15/12 12:13 PM (PDT)

Hi Camry... I actually went just the opposite. I looked at the Camry first but the Camry hybrid felt sluggish and did not have the responsiveness of the VW. So I went with the Passat and opted for the better gas mileage. Also, I don't know where you got the info on the DSG transmission fluid change cost. The interval is 40,000 miles but my dealer advertises it at $400.00 and my local mechanic charges less than $200. Longevity is also an issue. My buddy has an 05 Jetta pushing 250,000 miles with the TDI mated to a DSG and it runs like new. Then of course, the Passat beat out the Camry for Motor Trend's Car of the Year, as well as Kelly Blue Book's Family Car of the Year, and in a head to head test against the Camry Hybrid by Carsort.com beat the Toyota.

By snakeoil2
on 03/25/12 18:17 PM (PDT)

Camry, Same as above, I opted for the TDI SE vs. the Toyota and have not been dissapointed. This is one incredible car and lives up to all the first place honors it has received. I'm getting 46 MPG on the highway and now have over 3K miles on the car in four weeks. This car has shattered all of my old paradigms about diesel engines. All maintenance is included for the first 36K miles. Unlikely I will keep it that long but I'm confident my next vehicle will be diesel. Here in Florida I am now paying slightly less per gallon for diesel than my wife is paying for premium fuel for her M. Benz.

By camryhybrid12
on 10/25/11 18:01 PM (PDT)

Congrats on the new purchase. I am a big guy too. I did not want the sunroof. Have tested the TDI SEL premium and was looking at a TDI SE with DSG and sunroof (a must if you take DSG) to buy. But did not close as I was looking to see what Camry does for 2012. And I was not dissapointed. Not only that but with the TDI I had to slightly bend my body to get into the car, I was looking for a car with a more Ground Clearance (Camry XLE Hybrid has 6.1 inch), and with some features such as backup camera, and blind spot sensors. Even at top trim and options, the TDI has not provide that. Getting into the 2012 Camry (even L model) is very easy and as a big guy I can appreciate a car that Toyota made just for me. I know its too late now and you should enjoy your car but when you have a chance or renting try the 2012 Camry (even no hybrid). Pricewise, the deal is better with the Camry, and so the MPGs.