Great Highway Sipper - First VW & First TDI
By ricknlaser on
2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I researched and negotiated a great deal over the internet with a local dealer. Got the color and interior that I wanted in the SEL (Opera Red with Black interior). Took over a month to get from the factory but has been well worth the wait. So far I have 2700 miles and have only filled (16 gal) the tank 3 times (first one on the dealer!). Great driving and handling. I have a 90 mile per day commute in busy highway with a reasonable amount of slow down and speed up type driving. So far - averaging 46 mpg in my 3 fill ups. It is really FUN to drive! Better than any Hybrid I test drove.
Favorite Features
I enjoy the DSG transmission - its been really smooth and comfortable to drive. The Fender Stereo system is great. I really like the Multi Function display - especially the instantaneous mileage gauge - helps me understand the diesel engine and how to adjust my driving style to maximize the mileage. Bluetooth connection - best I have had in any car - always connects the first time and works flawlessly. Comfort controls are easy to understand, reach and adjust even while driving. Roomy interior - especially the rear seat. Keyless entry and starting - never going back to using a key again!
Suggested Improvements
A rear camera would be a really nice addition. However, since I have not had one before I really do not miss it. The Navigation would be better if it had active traffic and spoken street names (My $100 magellan had both). There may still be an upgrade - it does a good job of guidance but could be even better. HID headlights would be nice although its really easy to change halogens and they are inexpensive.
By mweasy07
on 09/04/12 07:01 AM (PDT)

Greetings, I am looking to purchase the 2013 version of the Passat and was wondering how much I should pay for it. I saw that you did your research, around how much did it cost? Thanks! Mike

By ricknlaser
on 09/19/12 21:33 PM (PDT)

Mike, At the time they were extreemly hard to find. I got mine for $31,200 - which was $1,000 below MSRP - I had negotiated with sales people and on line for about 1 month before I was able to get it that low. Most were asking $300 to $500 over MSRP.