2012 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Fun MPG hauler

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Review

Fun MPG hauler
By fenders on

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

With an imminent 45 mile commute after years of public transport, sold my 300hp awd manual Subaru wagon to look for a comfortable, fuel-efficient auto-transmission cruiser that could haul baby stuff on weekends but still be fun to drive during the week. Really wanted a GTI but the cargo area was too small. Compared the Passat to other midsize sedans and it just had the right feature set and driving vibe for me. Didn't expect to end up with a diesel; it's growing on me! I agree with another reviewer that you're rewarded by staying in the TDI torque sweet-spot. Getting advertised mileage in 1000 miles of mixed driving so far, hope to see even higher.

Low-end torque, fuel economy (have to remember I can't say gas mileage anymore), handling composure, rear/trunk space, keyless entry, overall clean design inside and out that should age well.

Better ability to attain ideal driving position via more seat height/lumbar/steering wheel/center-armrest adjustment, quieter AC vents, more responsive nav touch screen (I have the latest software version and it is still ridiculously slow relative to my portable Garmin.) Enable rain-sensing wiper feature from the factory (I enabled using VCDS software.)