After 9 months.....
By daveeman on
2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I mainly purchased this car for the diesel fuel economy. My driving is mostly around town which gives me 36mpg. HWY is 43. All new cars are exciting at first, especially one with with great reviews as this one. My mind was already made up during the test drive, so I ignored a glaring issue. It is a rough riding car. I can feel (and hear) every crack in the pavement like I'm piloting a go-kart. Each road thump echoes a mild bass throughout the car, causing the need for the stereo to be turned up to mask the road noise. I read that Honda's are known for road noise, but nothing could be this noisy. It corners well, but I'd sacrifice the sport suspension any day for soft & quiet.
Favorite Features
The diesel motor is amazing with it's power without having to force downshift. Getting used to driving a turbo is taking more time that I expected. There is a lag when the pedal is 1st pressed. Pulling out into traffic under duress is tricky. Press the pedal but it reacts slowly, so I press harder. Now the turbo kicks and I break traction which triggers the anti slip which momentarily cuts the power and now I'm a sitting duck in the road. All of this happens within a couple seconds as the car lurches. Patience and finesse is needed with the turbo. Fender sound system is nice but slow to boot up. Also, several bass rattles have developed throughout. Great rear seat room.
Suggested Improvements
Heater controls are hard to read. Three buttons control six functions and the picture diagrams are hard to see and are not intuitive. The side mirror control button is lame. My Honda a simple toggle that is flush mounted and much better. Perhaps VW could borrow the design. Door hinge bumps are much too raised and make the door difficult to control. Passengers have to push extra hard to overcome the hinge bump, but that only makes them slam the bejesus out of the door. I've pushed the driver door open to exit only to have it return right back in my face. Seat bolsters. I don't envision the left side of the drivers seat lasting through the years. And where is the front seat tilt?
By joboss
on 03/18/14 09:59 AM (PDT)

I have a hard time believing this review as I drove this car and no where are these comments accurate...rough riding car? hard to read controls? slow booting sound system?? Seriously anyone who reads this guys review just go test it out yourself because this one makes no sense... Go out there and try it, I tried it and I have a 1.8 T jetta 2001 with a lowered suspension... THATS A GO KART not the passat 2012... this post is most likely written by someone thats annoyed at the slightest detail..or above age of 80 years old..