Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

I Can Afford A Passat?!!
By westys_4_ever

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Yes. Yes I can! This car is so packed full of value, bought on a lease, anyone could afford it. And they would be right to do so. The details inside the cabin are so thought out, they really didn't cut any corners. All of the cubbies found in the car are lined with grippy rubber to prevent sliding of phones or other hard items. The top of the dash, near the bottom of the windshield has a strip of brushed stainless matching the stuff on the dash and center console. The seats are supportive and comfortable. The driver's seat has power lumbar which feels amazing. I really like the stark white dash numbers at night. They are easier to read at a glance than the blue ones.

I love the powertrain. We had a 2006 Jetta 2.5 and loved the 6A behind it. This Passat is even better. the engine has more power and better delivered torque lower in the rpm range making drivability in any situation effortless. Need to pass a drifting semi? No sweat, prod the throttle and get a two gear kick-down to rocket past him. Putting the transmission in manual mode will allow the car to stretch the mpg into the upper reaches. Last night on a 100 mile drive round trip, I averaged 36.5 mpg. Don't need a diesel with this kind of mpg and the gas is $.40-$.60 less per gallon.

I'd like to see a power seat on the passenger side as well. Also, put a 3 position memory seat for the driver so there isn't an endless finagling with the seat after someone else drives it.

2012 VW Passat Quality Issues Are Piling Up!
By prospective

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had all kinds of minor quality problems with my 2012 Passat... I love the car but VW doesn't do a whole lot to rectify these issues: 1. Seatbelt light and chimes even though my seatbelt is fastened and I'm the only person in the car. VW's lame excuse is that my cell phone is emitting electromagnetic waves that are setting the seatbelt light and chimes off. VW told me not to charge my cell phone in the car and not to get my phone too close to any of the seats. LAME! 2. Front end suspension noise. I has to bring my car in to the dealer twice before they admitted the right front suspension was defective. I had to put the tech guy in my car and roll over speed bumps at low speed before he admitted there was a defect. They have since rectified the problem. 3. Drivers door. The drivers door doesn't close unless you slam it like you are angry. The door should close properly with just the weight of the door. The VW tech told me "You know, everything on a new car doesn't actually work perfectly." Another LAME! 4. Rear trunk lid. Same problem with the rear trunk lid not closing unless you slam it like you are angry. There are scratches on the inside lid latch that show the latch is not aligned properly. Tech response, "All VW's are like this." A third LAME! 5. My brakes squeek in the morning. Eveyday, when leaving my house, my brakes squeek. Tech guy: "Due to the high humidity in the Hawaiian Islands, it's normal for VW brakes to squeek in the morning." Huh, I've leased Hondas for the last 14 years and never had squeeky brakes before. This must be a VW Issue? One more time: LAME!

I really do like this car... It's just annoying that VW refuses to admit there are a lot of quality issues with my specific vehicle. All said, I do have to disclose that my car (according to the manufactures sticker inside the drivers door)rolled off of the assembly line in July 2011 which probably make my vehicle one of the very first models off the line. However, this car doesn't even have 3,000 miles on it yet!

I'm starting to think I have a lemon... If VW offered me a replacement car which was the same color with the exact same features (which wouldn't be difficult as my car is the base model S with a 5 speed manual transmission), I would gladly accept it as once again, I really like this car. It's just not right the way VW has handled my issues. VW, if you are reading this post, I hope you contact me to make this right. My regional case manager is Eric W. and he knows who I am and how you can get in touch with me. In the meantime, If you are considering purchasing or leasing a 2012 VW Passat... Proceed with extreme caution!

initial review and findings
By gphin305

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I also own a 2008 Passat 2.0T which I leased for three years and decided to purchase last year since it is such a great car. Just leased our new 2012 SE with roof last week and so far so good. This a totally different car from the B6 model (2006-2010), a good size family type sedan.....more conservative but still high quality and distinctive. Although now made in the U.S>, still has that German solid feel and look. We only have a 150 miles recorded so far and all is fine. No rattles, no wind noise. Will update at 1000 miles.

Still a high-quality looking interior. Excellent paint. Well laid out interior. Very comfortable seats with lots of travel for a tall driver. More than enough rear seat legroom. Very refined and fairly quiet. Good size trunk. A car you can enjoy driving.

Larger center console storage. Center console armrest is too short. Provide floor mats as standard equipment. Provide a locking gas filler door. Provide larger tires.....215's are a little narrow. Provide two-way sun visors.

2012 Passat SEL Premium
By lighthouse2012

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2012 Passat on April 22nd. 1. Infotainment unit was replaced after 2 visits to the dealership. 2. Infotainment continues to not function properly. 3. Driver side door rattles and squeaks upon opening and closing of door. 4. Steering Wheel is not aligned to center. 5. Strutts replaced due to loud noise upon turning left or right at high and low speeds. 6. The dealership has yet to resolve other issues.

Love the Premium edition (fully loaded) top of the line. DSG transmission is absolutely incredible.

Manufacturing quality needs drastic improvements.

2012 Passat S Automatic w/Appearance Pkg
By jt4210

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan S 4dr Sedan w/Appearance (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I own a 2012 Passat S class, before owning this car I drove a 2000 Honda Civic EX that I had the misfortune for acquiring in 2008. My Passat is equiped with a 5 cylinder 2.5 liter engine. This is an incredible car to drive! When you shift this car into D it drives like a Benz E-Class, when you shift it into S in drives like an Audi S4! The car is beautiful inside and out! When you sit down in the back seat of this car you get the same feeling like when you climb into a Suburban or a Yukon. All three feel like stepping into a house.

My favorite feature on this car is the Bluetooth which I use to stream music and easily talk to my family and friends on my way to work as I'm battling RTP traffic. My second favorite feature about this car is the remote trunk release which makes getting all of my belongings into and out of my car fast and easy when I'm headed over to either Duke or NC State to work.

If I could add one additional thing to my car I'd like to have my name pinstriped on the sides.