Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Punches above its weight
By caesara

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Decided on Passat as best option among mid-size sedans with a manual option. Others with manuals only did so with uninspiring entry-level trim. Also like the SE/non-sunroof combination as I rarely use sunroofs and they reduce headroom. Looked at upscale sedans with manuals (BWM 5-series, Acura TL), but Passat ticks most of the boxes, and I have other uses for the cash. German engineering with made in the USA is a plus. So far (5 mos, 6k miles), very pleased in a variety of situations (commuting, kid hauling, nights out). No problems with build quality or otherwise. Black on black, with the style of the car, has a classic look that gets complements. Zehr gut!

Favorite Features

-Refined and responsive, especially for this price point -Ridiculously much trunk and interior space; gets 4 kids across the back in a pinch -More pleased with "leatherette" interior than expected (cleans up well, not too hot or cold in the seasons, looks less "cheesy" if in black)

Suggested Improvements

-A bit more zip and/or better mileage (high 20s in mixed driving) to keep up with newer competitors (using Jetta's workhorse engine is clearly what keeps the price down) -Defogger for windshield doesn't work very well; not sure why (maybe a trick or setting I haven't figured out yet) -Rear visibility is tenuous; look twice when backing up (although this seems an issue across the class)

Great Car
By belaircarguy

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Traded my 2009 Jetta for a manual (5 speed) Passat SE. Car is well built, good visibility, and quite on the highway. I would say the ride is medium firm, as compared to the Jetta, which was firm. Seats are very comfortable for long trips, with no backaches after a 3-4 hour journey. Huge trunk, and giant backseat with loads of room.

Favorite Features

Love the HD FM radio. Although the car has Sirius radio, I have not subscribed after six months. The HD FM is great, with crystal clear sound and a surprisingly wide range of HD stations in my area. The bluetooth is top notch, with the ability to dial the phone right from the radio screen. Much safer than having to fool with the phone.

Suggested Improvements

Wanted a sunroof with a manual transmission. VW says NO. Had a great sunroof installed at an aftermarket facility, and am now happy. What's up VW? I need to drive an automatic transmission to enjoy the sunshine?

Never loved a car more!
By manomes

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my VW Passat SE in April, and have had no regrets. This is my first VW purchase after years of owning only Toyota and Honda products. I have not experienced any of the problems that some other reviewers here cited. I have nothing but good things to say about this car. Everyone (really, everyone) that hs ridden in my car has had positive comments about the comfort and styling. I would, and have, recommend the Passat to anyone wanting a well-build, mid-sized car. I love, love, love my car!

Favorite Features

Solid, well-built. Handles great. Good acceleration. Exterior styling--classic lines. Good comfort features. Excellent overall value.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of a thing.

Love this car!
By scott314

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan V6 SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

After 13,000 miles in six months I truly enjoy my Passat. The V-6 is remarkably powerful and makes driving a lot of fun. It has a pleasant growl when accelerating briskly but is very quiet otherwise. I have had two minor problems - the iPod cord quit working but was replaced under warranty, and the dealer even replaced the wiper blades under warranty which I found impressive. My biggest regret is that the V-6 is not available with a manual transmission. The automatic works fine, but ... Other than that, it rides and handles well, it's roomy, it's quick, it gets good mileage and I get lots of compliments on the appearance. (And the Fender stereo is amazing!)

Favorite Features

Engine, stereo

Suggested Improvements

(1) Manual transmission - I cannot see the logic in offering a manual with the base engine but not the more powerful one. (2) More settings for the heated seats, three isn't quite enough. (3) An all wheel drive option. (4) Did I mention a manual transmission?

2012 Passat SE
By jrind2

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So far after 3 months we love this vehicle - the extra room inside is amazing especially in the back seats.

Favorite Features

The look, the gas mileage, the amazing space available for passengers. This car will accommodate big people and big passengers.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is the back end is so high to accommodate the vast trunk space that visability is very limited when backing up or parking. BE CAREFUL because there are no sensors or cameras to see where you are going when in reverse.