2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
New TDI SE - MPG King!!!
By mkholmes on 04/03/12 18:48 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Just purchased my black on black 6 speed manual SE on 3/31/12. Was lucky enough for my local dealership (Chattanooga, TN) to have one in stock. Was just off the truck and the white wrap had to be removed in order for my wife and I to test drive. After a minute in the car my wife said this was it so we made the purchase. Have only run one tank of fuel through it so far but have to say that you can set the cruise at 65 mph and get 53 mpg all day long on the highway. The TDI has plenty of power for almost anyone and build quality is impressive. Seats are very comfortable and the interior space is unbelievable. Radio works great and the bluetooth functions perfectly with my IPhone.

Made in the USA
By plodnik on 02/06/12 09:53 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After having this car for several weeks, all I can say is I'm completely pleased. Hat's off to the VW engineers on putting all the right features into an American made VW and to the people in TN for putting it all together! I've averaged 37.6 MPG on mix of highway/street driving. The diesel torque combined with the well mannered turbo are more than sufficient for a fun ride. Who needs hybrids! Interior is cavernous for the rear passengers. Only complaint I can lodge is that the distance between the brack and gas pedal is narrow.

Awesome car, with BAD customer service!!
By ashafi on 01/18/12 20:15 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my first VW, and it's awesome, it caught my eye and I couldn't resist it and had to get it. However, I had so many issues, from bad dealership experience to bad customer service from VW corporate office of America. I completed the paperwork with Momentum VW of Fairfield, CA, initially everything went smooth, but the car wasn't in stock and was promised to be delivered in 1-2 days, which took more than a week, but in wrong color, plus very poor customer service, no followup. Contacted VW USA, but regional mgr, Daryl didn't help at all, in fact didn't even return my calls. I ended up canceling my order with this dealer and went to a different dealership, compromised on the options!!!

2012 Passat TDI (DSG)
By proboss on 12/04/11 11:03 AM (PST)

This is my 3rd TDI. I've owned a 2003 Jetta TDI (5 spd), 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG). Neither of the newer models could reach the 47MPG that the 2003 Jetta got. That said the 2010 was a great car (39 MPG), but I've been waiting for the Passat TDI for the size and comfort. Both of which are 5's in my book. I've had the Passat now for 2 weeks and about 1000 miles. Averaging 41.5 MPG with mostly commuting at 70-75 MPH. Very nice car with one exception. At higher speeds the car seems to wander slightly as if you were driving through gusty winds requiring small steering inputs. A bit annoying i might add. I have a call into the dealer asking for help. I suspect it's the tires. we'll see...

Passat! Love it!
By sigjuliussen on 12/03/11 12:15 PM (PST)

I'm 6'4" and over 300 lbs and the car fits great. Can stretch out my legs all the way. Drove 400 miles round trip to my cabin and with studs and snowy Alaska mountain conditions the car still go 41 mpg. 3 fill ups so far with all Anchorage city driving and twice it got over 30 mpg, and one time with lots of snowy cold days and still got 27.5 mpg. Can't wait ti see what it gets with summer tires and no snow (I have a few months to god lol) Car handles great in the snow and drives like a dream.

Missed Opportunity - Poor Quality
By dfwtdi on 12/02/11 14:03 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Let start by saying VW designed this car for people like me at they got my attention. I went out and bought one. In favorite features I will list what I love but: In my 2012 Passat TDI I get a pretty loud fuel sloshing noise from the back. The dealership confirmed the sound exists in other 2012 Passat TDIs as well. This sound is at it's loudest when the diesel tank is about 1/2 to 3/4 full; it makes loud thuds (diesel sloshing sounds). The VW service manager is very helpful but he says that is a design flaw and VW does not have a solution for it right now. He says may be if enough people complain they will come up with a solution. Besides this I have at least three different rattles fixed.

Too new to tell, but..........
By dkross737 on 11/16/11 08:55 AM (PST)

I've had my TDI SEL just about 2 weeks, so all comments are preliminary. Engine and DSG combo-first rate, mpg 45+ 75/25 Highway/City. Interior well laid out, but some cost cutting (vertical travel on center armrest and forward edge of driver's seat, goose-neck trunk hinges, prop rod vs gas struts for hood) ) noted...car is built to a price. First rate highway car with great road manners, audio, seat comfort, and noise level. Exterior somewhat bland, but that may attract less attention from our State Troopers, and not look dated in 4 years.

A nice large, fuel effecient cruiser
By chuck150 on 10/10/11 16:12 PM (PDT)

I traded in my 2005 Phaeton for the Passat TDI. I did so with a little trepidation. I've had the car for 3 weeks and my anxiety has passed. I did a round trip from PGH to NYC on one tank of fuel with the cruise set at 70mph! The TDI averaged around 48 mpg for the trip. The interior is spacious, quiet and comfortable. Much like the Phaeton. It also hunkers down on the highway and provides a competent German ride quality. It also handles long sweepers and off ramps with confidence. The DSG works smoothly with the TDI. The exterior has a chiseled, masculine shape. IMHO, it looks very good. If you're looking for a spacious, fuel efficient cruiser, you must check out the Passat TDI.

Just got my Passat TDI SE
By cracovia on 09/30/11 19:53 PM (PDT)

Two days ago I picked my 2012 Passat TDI SE. Did not fancy more options than those that came with the standard options package. Did not care much for a motorized glass sunroof that one has to take if one wants a 6 speed GSD transmission, but accepted it after trying how it works on a demo car. The car is phenomenal. On the way to work (20 miles one way) twice in the row I got an average of 45 mpg. hitting in some places 50.8 (what the gage said anyway). The inetrior is as roomy as my old 2003 Infiniti I35 that I was parting with. Got as many or more features. Quiet, soft but sensible ride, good road adhesion and styling. If f you have to chose between this car and Camry or Accord buy TDI.

First 2,000 miles in my new 2012 Passat TDI SEL
By jimmy2012tdi on 09/29/11 11:36 AM (PDT)

I just picked a new black/black 2012 Passat TDI SEL last week, and am extremely impressed with the vehicle. I traded in a BMW 550I (V8) that I had for 3 years and drove 75,000 miles (20 mpg). I am overly impressed with the VW, even moving down a notch from a $70K BMW. I have driven the TDI almost 2,000 miles in the first week and have an average of 42 mpg! 75% highway, 35% Chicago city traffic. At 65 on cruise the car averages about 50 mpg! Very comfortable seats, quite, great sound system, easy to use Navigation. This is by far the best car in its class and should be in very high demand. Car handles very well, still lets you feel the road with out being too soft. Perfect car...great job VW.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel in WA is:

$191 per month*