Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great Highway Sipper - First VW & First TDI
By ricknlaser

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I researched and negotiated a great deal over the internet with a local dealer. Got the color and interior that I wanted in the SEL (Opera Red with Black interior). Took over a month to get from the factory but has been well worth the wait. So far I have 2700 miles and have only filled (16 gal) the tank 3 times (first one on the dealer!). Great driving and handling. I have a 90 mile per day commute in busy highway with a reasonable amount of slow down and speed up type driving. So far - averaging 46 mpg in my 3 fill ups. It is really FUN to drive! Better than any Hybrid I test drove.

I enjoy the DSG transmission - its been really smooth and comfortable to drive. The Fender Stereo system is great. I really like the Multi Function display - especially the instantaneous mileage gauge - helps me understand the diesel engine and how to adjust my driving style to maximize the mileage. Bluetooth connection - best I have had in any car - always connects the first time and works flawlessly. Comfort controls are easy to understand, reach and adjust even while driving. Roomy interior - especially the rear seat. Keyless entry and starting - never going back to using a key again!

A rear camera would be a really nice addition. However, since I have not had one before I really do not miss it. The Navigation would be better if it had active traffic and spoken street names (My $100 magellan had both). There may still be an upgrade - it does a good job of guidance but could be even better. HID headlights would be nice although its really easy to change halogens and they are inexpensive.

Couldn't Pass Up this Passat SE TDI!
By partymarty

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have owned this car for four months and am just about to take her in for the (free) 10K service. I owned a 2011 Jetta TDI, and fell in love with the Passat when I saw her in the showroom while my Jetta was being serviced. The folks at my local VW dealership worked their fannies off to make this deal happen, as I am fanatic about shifting my own gears and will not ever own an automatic. There was only one 6-speed manual car available several hundred miles away, and the dealer had it trailered to me at no additional charge. So far, this vehicle has been an absolute pleasure to drive, and it actually exceeds the published mileage figures by about 2 mpg.

My favorite feature is the hill holder function. When stopped on an uphill grade (and I live in a VERY hilly area), one just has to tap the brake pedal twice and the car will not roll back for 1.5 seconds; plenty of time to shift into 1st gear without having to fool with the parking brake or worry when someone is stopped behind you 6 inches from your back bumper. I wish all my cars had this feature! The bluetooth interface and the touch-screen radio have functioned perfectly so far, and the steering wheel-mounted buttons make accessing the trip computer and radio/phone functions pretty simple. My last favorite features are the truly cavernous back seat and trunk areas.

In order to meet US emission standards, the Passat TDI utilizes a catalyst (called AdBlue) which is stored in a 5-gallon tank accessed from the trunk. This urea-based liquid is injected directly into the exhaust system to neutralize NOx, and if this tank should run dry, the car will not restart if it is shut off. The manual states this tank has to be refilled at a VW dealership, but I was returning from a long cross-country trek on a Sunday when the low-level AdBlue indicator illuminated, and there were no VW dealerships open along my planned route. I did have to refuel with the engine running, and delivered my car directly to my local dealer at midnight to get the tank refilled.

Great car, lousy service
By dplok1

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

It disappoints me to write a negative review since this is a great car, but, the electrical problems, dealer service, and VW of America's poor service are genuine issues. For the first 5K miles this car was outstanding. After that it began having unusual issues -- seat belt warnings for no reason, losing Infotainment presets, cruise control switching off, instrument cluster resetting to factory settings, etc. Several trips to the dealer resulted in repeated "We just can't find the problem". Eventually, the instrument cluster began returning to zero everytime the car was turned off so I no longer know it's actual mileage. VW claims it was designed to do this. Still not working.

Fuel mileage

Fix the electronics.

My third diesel, 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium.
By rfb70

My wife and I have driven it approx. 3,400 miles and have no rattles, squeeks or any other problems. We use it almost all open road and average 43 mpg. We drove from Pa. to Fl. and back, 2400 miles, got to try almost every gadget in the car. The Bluetooth was very easy to set up to our cell phone, also the seat memory settings and the remote key memory. The radio and nav. took quite a bit of reading up on, but operate very well after using them on the trip. I did'nt baby the car, drove with the traffic, about 75 mph with the air on and still averaged 43 mpg.

The sd card is a nice feature, don't have to haul cds along on trips, blue tooth cell makes for better saftey, Fender audio system is excellent, climate control works well in very hot and cold weather! Seating is very comfortable. The diesel performs even better than I exspected.

RSN 510 Nav. system should have audio street name commands, one must take their eyes off the road to see commands on screen or the instrument panel. Commands at next turn are not always clear and can become very unsafe. Not as good as a Garmin 350 Nuvi { 7 years old] Pogo stick prop for holding up the hood is very old school as are the trunk hinges protruding into the luggage compartment. Both should have pneumatic struts and different hinges like my 2006 Jetta TDI has. Vents in rear center consul would also be nice.

This is a sweet car !!!
By almegastar

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I owned 38 vehicles since I started to drive, this is the ultimate car, It has attributes I 've been longing for , it has snappiness, comfort, 5 star safety, economy ( low 40 MPG), not to mentioned German engineering quality @ mid- $20K. I waited for this car ( Black on Black) for 4 1/2 months , but its worth the wait. Volkswagen USA , you will sell this like these cars like Hot cake !!!

6 spped manual transmission, effortless clutch operation, 40+ MPG

Need a bigger diameter brake rotor , and sportier suspension for the SE version. larger area side view mirror, and front angel lights.