2012 VW Passat Quality Issues Are Piling Up!
By prospective on
2012 Volkswagen Passat S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)
I have had all kinds of minor quality problems with my 2012 Passat... I love the car but VW doesn't do a whole lot to rectify these issues: 1. Seatbelt light and chimes even though my seatbelt is fastened and I'm the only person in the car. VW's lame excuse is that my cell phone is emitting electromagnetic waves that are setting the seatbelt light and chimes off. VW told me not to charge my cell phone in the car and not to get my phone too close to any of the seats. LAME! 2. Front end suspension noise. I has to bring my car in to the dealer twice before they admitted the right front suspension was defective. I had to put the tech guy in my car and roll over speed bumps at low speed before he admitted there was a defect. They have since rectified the problem. 3. Drivers door. The drivers door doesn't close unless you slam it like you are angry. The door should close properly with just the weight of the door. The VW tech told me "You know, everything on a new car doesn't actually work perfectly." Another LAME! 4. Rear trunk lid. Same problem with the rear trunk lid not closing unless you slam it like you are angry. There are scratches on the inside lid latch that show the latch is not aligned properly. Tech response, "All VW's are like this." A third LAME! 5. My brakes squeek in the morning. Eveyday, when leaving my house, my brakes squeek. Tech guy: "Due to the high humidity in the Hawaiian Islands, it's normal for VW brakes to squeek in the morning." Huh, I've leased Hondas for the last 14 years and never had squeeky brakes before. This must be a VW Issue? One more time: LAME!
Favorite Features
I really do like this car... It's just annoying that VW refuses to admit there are a lot of quality issues with my specific vehicle. All said, I do have to disclose that my car (according to the manufactures sticker inside the drivers door)rolled off of the assembly line in July 2011 which probably make my vehicle one of the very first models off the line. However, this car doesn't even have 3,000 miles on it yet!
Suggested Improvements
I'm starting to think I have a lemon... If VW offered me a replacement car which was the same color with the exact same features (which wouldn't be difficult as my car is the base model S with a 5 speed manual transmission), I would gladly accept it as once again, I really like this car. It's just not right the way VW has handled my issues. VW, if you are reading this post, I hope you contact me to make this right. My regional case manager is Eric W. and he knows who I am and how you can get in touch with me. In the meantime, If you are considering purchasing or leasing a 2012 VW Passat... Proceed with extreme caution!
By bob757fl
on 06/11/12 19:51 PM (PDT)

How disappointing. I've been driving Honda and Subaru for the last 25 years and have been REALLY itching to get a VW TDI Passat or Jetta for the fuel economy and driving experience. Your review tells me that NOTHING has changed in the VW ownership experience. Basically the lottery continues. You just hope that you draw a good number and have a good experience. :(