2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Great Highway Sipper - First VW & First TDI
By ricknlaser on 07/31/12 23:31 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I researched and negotiated a great deal over the internet with a local dealer. Got the color and interior that I wanted in the SEL (Opera Red with Black interior). Took over a month to get from the factory but has been well worth the wait. So far I have 2700 miles and have only filled (16 gal) the tank 3 times (first one on the dealer!). Great driving and handling. I have a 90 mile per day commute in busy highway with a reasonable amount of slow down and speed up type driving. So far - averaging 46 mpg in my 3 fill ups. It is really FUN to drive! Better than any Hybrid I test drove.

Couldn't Pass Up this Passat SE TDI!
By partymarty on 07/16/12 12:32 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have owned this car for four months and am just about to take her in for the (free) 10K service. I owned a 2011 Jetta TDI, and fell in love with the Passat when I saw her in the showroom while my Jetta was being serviced. The folks at my local VW dealership worked their fannies off to make this deal happen, as I am fanatic about shifting my own gears and will not ever own an automatic. There was only one 6-speed manual car available several hundred miles away, and the dealer had it trailered to me at no additional charge. So far, this vehicle has been an absolute pleasure to drive, and it actually exceeds the published mileage figures by about 2 mpg.

Great car, lousy service
By dplok1 on 07/12/12 10:21 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

It disappoints me to write a negative review since this is a great car, but, the electrical problems, dealer service, and VW of America's poor service are genuine issues. For the first 5K miles this car was outstanding. After that it began having unusual issues -- seat belt warnings for no reason, losing Infotainment presets, cruise control switching off, instrument cluster resetting to factory settings, etc. Several trips to the dealer resulted in repeated "We just can't find the problem". Eventually, the instrument cluster began returning to zero everytime the car was turned off so I no longer know it's actual mileage. VW claims it was designed to do this. Still not working.

My third diesel, 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium.
By rfb70 on 06/18/12 10:29 AM (PDT)

My wife and I have driven it approx. 3,400 miles and have no rattles, squeeks or any other problems. We use it almost all open road and average 43 mpg. We drove from Pa. to Fl. and back, 2400 miles, got to try almost every gadget in the car. The Bluetooth was very easy to set up to our cell phone, also the seat memory settings and the remote key memory. The radio and nav. took quite a bit of reading up on, but operate very well after using them on the trip. I did'nt baby the car, drove with the traffic, about 75 mph with the air on and still averaged 43 mpg.

This is a sweet car !!!
By almegastar on 06/14/12 12:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I owned 38 vehicles since I started to drive, this is the ultimate car, It has attributes I 've been longing for , it has snappiness, comfort, 5 star safety, economy ( low 40 MPG), not to mentioned German engineering quality @ mid- $20K. I waited for this car ( Black on Black) for 4 1/2 months , but its worth the wait. Volkswagen USA , you will sell this like these cars like Hot cake !!!

Better Than Expected
By tourqer on 06/04/12 20:18 PM (PDT)

I have just over 1800 miles on a new tdi sel and have become more satisfied with it the more I drive it. How a car this big with this much power gets 45 MPG still amazes me. The interior is top notch and feels like your in a much more expensive car. The only complaint is that the driving experiance VW is known for has been dulled to some extent. This car is more of a long distance cruiser that has very good handling as opposed to the sporty sedan of old. All and all this car is a winner in my book and worth a look.

Fun MPG hauler
By fenders on 05/25/12 10:00 AM (PDT)

With an imminent 45 mile commute after years of public transport, sold my 300hp awd manual Subaru wagon to look for a comfortable, fuel-efficient auto-transmission cruiser that could haul baby stuff on weekends but still be fun to drive during the week. Really wanted a GTI but the cargo area was too small. Compared the Passat to other midsize sedans and it just had the right feature set and driving vibe for me. Didn't expect to end up with a diesel; it's growing on me! I agree with another reviewer that you're rewarded by staying in the TDI torque sweet-spot. Getting advertised mileage in 1000 miles of mixed driving so far, hope to see even higher.

2012 TDI
By catom on 05/09/12 15:34 PM (PDT)

I purchased my Passat 3 months ago and have driven it 5200 miles. I had to search for 2 weeks to find a White car with black interior but I located it in Fairfiel, CA. The salesmen, Zain, had the car as he promised and the whole process went smoothly. I have had a high of 44MPG and a low of 38MPG with a combination of city and freeway driving. It performs great once you learn to use the torque of the engine and not floor it. The radio is great and the bluethooth works every time. I've had no problems to date , it;s been a fun car to drive with loads of room.

My Sweet New High Mileage Girl
By wayneq on 04/26/12 21:29 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

After shopping the top-rated mid-sized sedans to transport my growing family and drive on rather long bi-monthly business trips, I settled on the Passat TDI SE. Since my driving does not often take me where there is a lot of stop and go traffic, I opted for the six speed manual transmission. Both times I test drove the car, it made a reverberating impression on my sense of quality and design like no other car in its class could. Its lines are elegant and sublime. It looks and drives like a much more expensive car than it is. I've had her for less than a month but it feels like a marriage made in heaven so far. (Update to follow)

Passat TDI Where have you been???
By laskot87 on 04/24/12 07:47 AM (PDT)

I just bought my first VW. The Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof. WOW!!!! this car glides... suspension is a little stiff but it rides on rails. Looks wicked sharp!!! originally wanted black on black but as hard as these have been to find i went with Midnight Blue and was not disappointed! I live in the northeast and there was only one of these in Maine!!! i got mine from Prime auto in Saco Maine.... Head in there and ask for Kyle he was awesome...(tell him i sent you) service was great, price was great. No it's not an american engineered car, but american people are hard at work building them!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel in VA is:

$152 per month*