Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

after 14 months of ownership ~ 30K miles
By botanybob

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We drive the manual (stick shift) model and do a mix of country and city driving. The last tank, filled after 720 miles, we averaged almost 48 mpg, and it has been about that all summer. We had one tank go for 780 miles before the low fuel light came on. In addition, the car is very comfortable, handles beautiful, has plenty of power, and holds four people plus a large trunkful of supplies easily and with room to spare.

The sound system is excellent, and the bluetooth features to connect a smart phone are really great. The quality of the hands-free audio when making a phone call via bluetooth are amazing.

In Wisconsin, winter fuel mileage slips a bit. It would be nice for night driving to be able to dim the sound system display.

After 9 months.....
By daveeman

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I mainly purchased this car for the diesel fuel economy. My driving is mostly around town which gives me 36mpg. HWY is 43. All new cars are exciting at first, especially one with with great reviews as this one. My mind was already made up during the test drive, so I ignored a glaring issue. It is a rough riding car. I can feel (and hear) every crack in the pavement like I'm piloting a go-kart. Each road thump echoes a mild bass throughout the car, causing the need for the stereo to be turned up to mask the road noise. I read that Honda's are known for road noise, but nothing could be this noisy. It corners well, but I'd sacrifice the sport suspension any day for soft & quiet.

The diesel motor is amazing with it's power without having to force downshift. Getting used to driving a turbo is taking more time that I expected. There is a lag when the pedal is 1st pressed. Pulling out into traffic under duress is tricky. Press the pedal but it reacts slowly, so I press harder. Now the turbo kicks and I break traction which triggers the anti slip which momentarily cuts the power and now I'm a sitting duck in the road. All of this happens within a couple seconds as the car lurches. Patience and finesse is needed with the turbo. Fender sound system is nice but slow to boot up. Also, several bass rattles have developed throughout. Great rear seat room.

Heater controls are hard to read. Three buttons control six functions and the picture diagrams are hard to see and are not intuitive. The side mirror control button is lame. My Honda a simple toggle that is flush mounted and much better. Perhaps VW could borrow the design. Door hinge bumps are much too raised and make the door difficult to control. Passengers have to push extra hard to overcome the hinge bump, but that only makes them slam the bejesus out of the door. I've pushed the driver door open to exit only to have it return right back in my face. Seat bolsters. I don't envision the left side of the drivers seat lasting through the years. And where is the front seat tilt?

Very happy with my Passat
By johnwild

The last VW I owned was a Rabbit Diesel, I loved that noisy, smelly car and it got great mileage. Since then I have had a couple of Mercedes Diesels, I also loved them but the mileage was nothing to brag about I bought my Passat 4 months ago and now have almost 8,000 miles on it. I recently took a 2400 mile round trip and got an easy 45 mph at highway speeds. Now at almost 8,000 miles I get amazing mileage. If I keep my speed around 50mph I get almost 60 mpg!! I'm loving this car, even though the oil companies are ripping us off on Diesel. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one or send a friend to VW to buy one either. Great Car........5 stars!

Sat radio, speed reminder Very comfortable seats

I'm a big guy and it's a bit difficult to get out of the car.

Impressive car on multiple fronts
By kscommuter

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Purchased this car in December of 2011 and have put 49K miles on it. It gets over 40 to 41 mpg and I typically drive 79 mph on my 180 mile daily commute (all highway miles). It will get upper 40's mpg if we lower the average speed to 65 to 70 mph. The ride and handling are very good. The car is nicely equipped for a base model, with a very solid feel and generous cabin and trunk spaces. The diesel engine is very responsive in combination with the manual transmission. The 10,000 mile service intervals for the oil change and basic service are great. I opt to use the shop my husband works at for this basic car maintenance versus paying a VW dealership the overpriced fee of $400.00+.

stellar fuel economy impressive responsiveness with diesel engine roominess of cabin space and trunk styling of car quality German engineering

clutch seems pretty long and deep engine is occasionally dragged down (e.g., noticeable lurch) when climate control system pulls on it and car is moving in a lower/slower gear

Canadian Passat TDI Trendline +
By smilenacadian

VW, did a lot of things right this time around. I have a love hate relationship with this car however. I find the cost of maintaining the Passat over the top. U.S. consumers I understand have free maintenance for the first part of the ownership. At almost 90,000 kms The warranty is history. The exhaust flap had to be replace at 70,000 kms. After which the exahust shield had to be replaced at 72,000 kms or there about. I guess another drawback is there dealer network. From Burlington Ontario to Newfoundland. There is only two out of the 6 dealers I went to that are there for the customer. Five stars to Steel VW in Dartmouth Nova Scotia and 5 stars to Belleville VW in Belleville Ontario.

I bought it for the fuel mileage. It delivers. Good handling in all weather conditions from sun to driving rain to -20 degrees in the snow. Nice and lots of rear leg room.

Windows and controls, Seats, position and padding, remove the cheap crank. Electric seats should be standard. Dealer customer service. Mirror control. Wind noise reduction a must. Lower maintenance cost. Better trunk lighting. Better spare tire cover.

• SUV