Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Very happy with my Passat
By johnwild

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The last VW I owned was a Rabbit Diesel, I loved that noisy, smelly car and it got great mileage. Since then I have had a couple of Mercedes Diesels, I also loved them but the mileage was nothing to brag about I bought my Passat 4 months ago and now have almost 8,000 miles on it. I recently took a 2400 mile round trip and got an easy 45 mph at highway speeds. Now at almost 8,000 miles I get amazing mileage. If I keep my speed around 50mph I get almost 60 mpg!! I'm loving this car, even though the oil companies are ripping us off on Diesel. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one or send a friend to VW to buy one either. Great Car........5 stars!

Favorite Features

Sat radio, speed reminder Very comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

I'm a big guy and it's a bit difficult to get out of the car.

Impressive car on multiple fronts
By kscommuter

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Purchased this car in December of 2011 and have put 49K miles on it. It gets over 40 to 41 mpg and I typically drive 79 mph on my 180 mile daily commute (all highway miles). It will get upper 40's mpg if we lower the average speed to 65 to 70 mph. The ride and handling are very good. The car is nicely equipped for a base model, with a very solid feel and generous cabin and trunk spaces. The diesel engine is very responsive in combination with the manual transmission. The 10,000 mile service intervals for the oil change and basic service are great. I opt to use the shop my husband works at for this basic car maintenance versus paying a VW dealership the overpriced fee of $400.00+.

Favorite Features

stellar fuel economy impressive responsiveness with diesel engine roominess of cabin space and trunk styling of car quality German engineering

Suggested Improvements

clutch seems pretty long and deep engine is occasionally dragged down (e.g., noticeable lurch) when climate control system pulls on it and car is moving in a lower/slower gear

Canadian Passat TDI Trendline +
By smilenacadian

VW, did a lot of things right this time around. I have a love hate relationship with this car however. I find the cost of maintaining the Passat over the top. U.S. consumers I understand have free maintenance for the first part of the ownership. At almost 90,000 kms The warranty is history. The exhaust flap had to be replace at 70,000 kms. After which the exahust shield had to be replaced at 72,000 kms or there about. I guess another drawback is there dealer network. From Burlington Ontario to Newfoundland. There is only two out of the 6 dealers I went to that are there for the customer. Five stars to Steel VW in Dartmouth Nova Scotia and 5 stars to Belleville VW in Belleville Ontario.

Favorite Features

I bought it for the fuel mileage. It delivers. Good handling in all weather conditions from sun to driving rain to -20 degrees in the snow. Nice and lots of rear leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Windows and controls, Seats, position and padding, remove the cheap crank. Electric seats should be standard. Dealer customer service. Mirror control. Wind noise reduction a must. Lower maintenance cost. Better trunk lighting. Better spare tire cover.

vw got it right
By txtdivw

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

All I can say at this point is every works perfectly. This has not always been the case with previous VWs. Fuel mileage excellent!

Favorite Features

DSG transmission,sunroof, navigation

Suggested Improvements

none

Too many issues have made me regret this purchase
By mercuriciodide

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The light cover wouldn't stay on on the driver's side door, so I had to take it in later for repair. They claimed it was repaired but the next time I brought it in for another issue, they replaced the entire door panel without asking. The new door panel was lower quality than the old one and flexes a whole lot, especially in winter, making considerable noise and giving the car a very cheap feel which is very frustrating since it cost $30,000. When I brought up the flexing door panel problem the service manager said he would bring up the issue to a visiting VW exec, get a resolution, and call. After months of waiting, I heard nothing. When I brought it in, another manager refused to fix it.

Favorite Features

Wind noise from one window's air leakage had to be fixed, which involved two trips to the dealership because they said they couldn't find the problem the first time. I was frankly amazed that it was fixed, given the door panel fiasco. There are indentations (notches) in grey panels near the door panel that we didn't make. The vinyl interior is smelly and headache/fatigue inducing, so I have to drive with the windows open even at high speeds, so no music. The urea system is also smelly. I don't know if it's the urea or the vinyl but I get incessant burps from trips in the car so I can't take it to tennis matches because I'll burp again and again for a long time. This doesn't happen otherwise.

Suggested Improvements

When we bought it there were two visible places on the dashboard that had cosmetic impact damage. The carpeting is incomplete on the floor, which is normal for this model but is not acceptable for a $30,000+ vehicle. People slam the doors because they're not used to the extra weighting, so I have to instruct every single passenger, which is not fun because people don't like to take directions. I wanted to love this car. The ride is very comfortable, although the brakes are on the weak side. But, unless the door panel is fixed and the burp-inducing chemical odors go away, I'm not going to be satisfied. I hope I can find another dealership that won't make jokes about all the repair visits, too