2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
German luxury on a budget
By drjkalyan on 08/26/14 15:15 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my first new car and I love it. It looks impressive with taut lines and geometrical shapes that accent the angular look of the new VWs. The car is decidedly large for the American market and can be a problem only in some crowded cities. Inside the cabin the interiors are excellent quality and material with symmetrical layout - maybe a bit boring. It has the best in-class rear seat legroom and boot space. It has adequate equipment as standard. Ride is a bit choppy on rough roads but is very well absorbing on usual city roads. Power is just about adequate and delivery is a tad linear. Engaging the sports mode creates more engine noise than speed. I love the tank-like build quality!

seats and tires
By jimmyv123 on 07/11/13 06:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The leatherette seats are comfortable however I've noticed a seam is starting to open along the left side bolster padding of the driver's seat. It's not an aread that I sit on nor is it a stress area from getting in and out so I have no idea why it would be failing. It probably won't completly open up until after the 36,000 mile warranty expires and I don't think the dealer will repair something that hasn't happed yet. No more leatherette for me. Also, the Hankook tires are less than satisfactory. They are extremely noisy on anything but smooth-as-glass pavement and with 27,000 miles on them with rotation every oil change they are about done.

Awesome Disc brakes saved my car from crashing
By aviamar on 07/10/13 17:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am proud of the brakes on my 2012 VW Passat. It not only saved me from any injuries but also from causing any damage to the car. I was driving down at 45mph towards a traffic signal. Slowed down a bit but picked up my speed back to 45 as soon as i saw it turn green from a distance. There was a vehicle, in front of me, which had started moving too. I then took the eyes of the road and before I realized the vehicle in front had come to a unexpected halt. I was at a distance of 25-30 ft, I guess, before I hit the brakes hard. I was almost certain that I was going to crash (used to driving cars in India) But the ABS kicked in and made a perfect stop. Passat - totally worth the money.

I like this car
By mronyx1 on 01/20/13 19:02 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Having been a person who has never cared about such things as cars. point A to Point B dry, I'm good. This car is a treat I did buy a 2012 with 8000 miles on it but have no break in worries and it sure is easy to drive. There is a little warming up to the gas peddle, over all this is a smart vehicle and for the price get a few options, you'll be glad you did. Very pleased with the gas mileage.

Like the car but very poor headlights
By caseydog3 on 11/20/12 19:59 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

i bought this car in July and overall I've been pleased with it EXCEPT for one extremely important thing. The headlights are terrible. I traded in a 1999 Nissan altima for this car and never had one problem seeing at night. Not only did the passat not come with foglights, but the low beams aren't the projector type. The combination of the two is very poor. Now I had to go to a specialty shop to inquire about custom headlights just so I feel safe driving at night. I did a test drive during the day with this car and all the others. I never even considered this would be a problem. I called the dealership about it and they don't even make upgrade headlights for the passat in U.S.

Punches above its weight
By caesara on 11/07/12 17:47 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Decided on Passat as best option among mid-size sedans with a manual option. Others with manuals only did so with uninspiring entry-level trim. Also like the SE/non-sunroof combination as I rarely use sunroofs and they reduce headroom. Looked at upscale sedans with manuals (BWM 5-series, Acura TL), but Passat ticks most of the boxes, and I have other uses for the cash. German engineering with made in the USA is a plus. So far (5 mos, 6k miles), very pleased in a variety of situations (commuting, kid hauling, nights out). No problems with build quality or otherwise. Black on black, with the style of the car, has a classic look that gets complements. Zehr gut!

Great Car
By belaircarguy on 10/30/12 03:21 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Traded my 2009 Jetta for a manual (5 speed) Passat SE. Car is well built, good visibility, and quite on the highway. I would say the ride is medium firm, as compared to the Jetta, which was firm. Seats are very comfortable for long trips, with no backaches after a 3-4 hour journey. Huge trunk, and giant backseat with loads of room.

Never loved a car more!
By manomes on 10/14/12 08:45 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my VW Passat SE in April, and have had no regrets. This is my first VW purchase after years of owning only Toyota and Honda products. I have not experienced any of the problems that some other reviewers here cited. I have nothing but good things to say about this car. Everyone (really, everyone) that hs ridden in my car has had positive comments about the comfort and styling. I would, and have, recommend the Passat to anyone wanting a well-build, mid-sized car. I love, love, love my car!

Love this car!
By scott314 on 08/28/12 17:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan V6 SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

After 13,000 miles in six months I truly enjoy my Passat. The V-6 is remarkably powerful and makes driving a lot of fun. It has a pleasant growl when accelerating briskly but is very quiet otherwise. I have had two minor problems - the iPod cord quit working but was replaced under warranty, and the dealer even replaced the wiper blades under warranty which I found impressive. My biggest regret is that the V-6 is not available with a manual transmission. The automatic works fine, but ... Other than that, it rides and handles well, it's roomy, it's quick, it gets good mileage and I get lots of compliments on the appearance. (And the Fender stereo is amazing!)

2012 Passat SE
By jrind2 on 06/29/12 09:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

So far after 3 months we love this vehicle - the extra room inside is amazing especially in the back seats.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan in VA is:

$152 per month*