2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Worst car and customer service in the world
By totsntators on 07/29/14 13:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

EPIC FAIL: 44K miles in and my engine completely dies on a busy interstate while i'm 5 months pregnant. apparently a bolt holding the injector pumps in place broke, dislodged the pumps and killed the engine. breakage was traced back to fuel system replacement done 3 months ago. i filed a formal complaint with dealership and GM of dealership reacted by aggressively demanding his rental car back and threatening to call the cops on me if i don't return it immediately (we were loaned the car until our repairs were done). customer care heard about all the incidents but took no action or accountability for what happened. worst car ever owned and will never buy VW ever again. buyers beware!

Engine tried to fall out.
By vwdumpsterfire on 04/14/14 08:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love the gas mileage my Passat gets, in fact I have averaged 48.2 MPG over 71,000 miles. Everything I have ever gained in gas savings has been completely erased by repair bills. The engine mount bolts fell out and the engine fell forward into the radiator hoses. Apparently the nuts and bolts for the DPF and EGR filter were missing as well, lucky me! I contacted VW and asked them how long they expected their engines to remain in the vehicle along with other miscellaneous nuts and bolts. In short the answer was, "just long enough to get you through the warranty!" In short I was told that none of this could possibly be VW's fault (since I was out of warranty) and good luck!

Exploding sunroof?
By aaronnandi on 01/29/14 18:54 PM (PST)

Up until now I have loved my Passat. Unfortunately the events of the last week have changed my view. I was driving down the freeway with three children in the back seat and the sunroof completely exploded and rained down small sharp glass pieces all over my head and face. The Dealership will not stand by the warranty and is trying to charge me for this repair! I called VW directly and they are taking the same stance. This is absolutely a manufacturing defect as I have found reports all over the internet of other cars having the same issue. Great car, but next time I will not give my business to a company that doesn't take care of it's customers and honor their warranties.

after 14 months of ownership ~ 30K miles
By botanybob on 09/06/13 06:28 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We drive the manual (stick shift) model and do a mix of country and city driving. The last tank, filled after 720 miles, we averaged almost 48 mpg, and it has been about that all summer. We had one tank go for 780 miles before the low fuel light came on. In addition, the car is very comfortable, handles beautiful, has plenty of power, and holds four people plus a large trunkful of supplies easily and with room to spare.

After 9 months.....
By daveeman on 04/14/13 17:13 PM (PDT)

I mainly purchased this car for the diesel fuel economy. My driving is mostly around town which gives me 36mpg. HWY is 43. All new cars are exciting at first, especially one with with great reviews as this one. My mind was already made up during the test drive, so I ignored a glaring issue. It is a rough riding car. I can feel (and hear) every crack in the pavement like I'm piloting a go-kart. Each road thump echoes a mild bass throughout the car, causing the need for the stereo to be turned up to mask the road noise. I read that Honda's are known for road noise, but nothing could be this noisy. It corners well, but I'd sacrifice the sport suspension any day for soft & quiet.

Very happy with my Passat
By johnwild on 12/23/12 14:00 PM (PST)

The last VW I owned was a Rabbit Diesel, I loved that noisy, smelly car and it got great mileage. Since then I have had a couple of Mercedes Diesels, I also loved them but the mileage was nothing to brag about I bought my Passat 4 months ago and now have almost 8,000 miles on it. I recently took a 2400 mile round trip and got an easy 45 mph at highway speeds. Now at almost 8,000 miles I get amazing mileage. If I keep my speed around 50mph I get almost 60 mpg!! I'm loving this car, even though the oil companies are ripping us off on Diesel. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one or send a friend to VW to buy one either. Great Car........5 stars!

Impressive car on multiple fronts
By kscommuter on 12/01/12 06:47 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Purchased this car in December of 2011 and have put 49K miles on it. It gets over 40 to 41 mpg and I typically drive 79 mph on my 180 mile daily commute (all highway miles). It will get upper 40's mpg if we lower the average speed to 65 to 70 mph. The ride and handling are very good. The car is nicely equipped for a base model, with a very solid feel and generous cabin and trunk spaces. The diesel engine is very responsive in combination with the manual transmission. The 10,000 mile service intervals for the oil change and basic service are great. I opt to use the shop my husband works at for this basic car maintenance versus paying a VW dealership the overpriced fee of $400.00+.

Canadian Passat TDI Trendline +
By smilenacadian on 11/07/12 13:45 PM (PST)

VW, did a lot of things right this time around. I have a love hate relationship with this car however. I find the cost of maintaining the Passat over the top. U.S. consumers I understand have free maintenance for the first part of the ownership. At almost 90,000 kms The warranty is history. The exhaust flap had to be replace at 70,000 kms. After which the exahust shield had to be replaced at 72,000 kms or there about. I guess another drawback is there dealer network. From Burlington Ontario to Newfoundland. There is only two out of the 6 dealers I went to that are there for the customer. Five stars to Steel VW in Dartmouth Nova Scotia and 5 stars to Belleville VW in Belleville Ontario.

vw got it right
By txtdivw on 09/07/12 15:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

All I can say at this point is every works perfectly. This has not always been the case with previous VWs. Fuel mileage excellent!

Too many issues have made me regret this purchase
By mercuriciodide on 08/02/12 21:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The light cover wouldn't stay on on the driver's side door, so I had to take it in later for repair. They claimed it was repaired but the next time I brought it in for another issue, they replaced the entire door panel without asking. The new door panel was lower quality than the old one and flexes a whole lot, especially in winter, making considerable noise and giving the car a very cheap feel which is very frustrating since it cost $30,000. When I brought up the flexing door panel problem the service manager said he would bring up the issue to a visiting VW exec, get a resolution, and call. After months of waiting, I heard nothing. When I brought it in, another manager refused to fix it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel in VA is:

$152 per month*