Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Worst car and customer service in the world
By totsntators

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

EPIC FAIL: 44K miles in and my engine completely dies on a busy interstate while i'm 5 months pregnant. apparently a bolt holding the injector pumps in place broke, dislodged the pumps and killed the engine. breakage was traced back to fuel system replacement done 3 months ago. i filed a formal complaint with dealership and GM of dealership reacted by aggressively demanding his rental car back and threatening to call the cops on me if i don't return it immediately (we were loaned the car until our repairs were done). customer care heard about all the incidents but took no action or accountability for what happened. worst car ever owned and will never buy VW ever again. buyers beware!

loved the car until something went wrong. then it was a chain of reaction that got worse and worse. and this was just 2 and 1/2 years into ownership, didn't even reach 45K miles when major malfunctions occurred. you're really on your own since VW will not provide any customer care support. VW dealerships are also independent franchises so there's no guarantee of quality workmanship, even though they are "authorized dealers" and "authorized service centers"

VW needs to stand behind their work and their customers. when something goes wrong in a car that you advertise as car of the year or family car of the year, take some responsibility for it. seems like once you give them your money, that's all they really care about, since they let dealerships do whatever and behave however they want, not ensuring any type of standard of quality in servicing or customer care. it's absolutely unacceptable. i've been completely disgusted and appalled by my experiences with VW and hope this review helps others steer clear away from this car and this company.

Engine tried to fall out.
By vwdumpsterfire

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love the gas mileage my Passat gets, in fact I have averaged 48.2 MPG over 71,000 miles. Everything I have ever gained in gas savings has been completely erased by repair bills. The engine mount bolts fell out and the engine fell forward into the radiator hoses. Apparently the nuts and bolts for the DPF and EGR filter were missing as well, lucky me! I contacted VW and asked them how long they expected their engines to remain in the vehicle along with other miscellaneous nuts and bolts. In short the answer was, "just long enough to get you through the warranty!" In short I was told that none of this could possibly be VW's fault (since I was out of warranty) and good luck!

I do appreciate the fact that my car was able to retain the lug nuts for 71,000 miles. I like the fact that the base model TDI basically comes with every feature you need. There were no options to add since everything was already included. The split rear folding seat was also a big plus for carrying longer items like skis and still having the ability to take a 3rd person.

I don't know, maybe take care of your customers when the vehicle you make has an obvious manufacturers defect. I like that the service manager also said "this is freakish, I've never seen this happen in a vehicle." VW apparently hadn't either but was more than happy to charge me more than $2,000 (including the towing) to put it all back together for me. Thanks VW! :) My advice, buy anything but a VW. This car is gone and I'm never buying a VW again.

Exploding sunroof?
By aaronnandi

Up until now I have loved my Passat. Unfortunately the events of the last week have changed my view. I was driving down the freeway with three children in the back seat and the sunroof completely exploded and rained down small sharp glass pieces all over my head and face. The Dealership will not stand by the warranty and is trying to charge me for this repair! I called VW directly and they are taking the same stance. This is absolutely a manufacturing defect as I have found reports all over the internet of other cars having the same issue. Great car, but next time I will not give my business to a company that doesn't take care of it's customers and honor their warranties.

Keyless entry, remote start, gas mileage is INSANE! In a good way.

Um, sunroof glass could be improved, in such a way that it doesn't explode! Traction isn't great. Not sure if it's the tires or it's drivetrain but it doesn't feel like I'm gripping the road very well.

after 14 months of ownership ~ 30K miles
By botanybob

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We drive the manual (stick shift) model and do a mix of country and city driving. The last tank, filled after 720 miles, we averaged almost 48 mpg, and it has been about that all summer. We had one tank go for 780 miles before the low fuel light came on. In addition, the car is very comfortable, handles beautiful, has plenty of power, and holds four people plus a large trunkful of supplies easily and with room to spare.

The sound system is excellent, and the bluetooth features to connect a smart phone are really great. The quality of the hands-free audio when making a phone call via bluetooth are amazing.

In Wisconsin, winter fuel mileage slips a bit. It would be nice for night driving to be able to dim the sound system display.

After 9 months.....
By daveeman

I mainly purchased this car for the diesel fuel economy. My driving is mostly around town which gives me 36mpg. HWY is 43. All new cars are exciting at first, especially one with with great reviews as this one. My mind was already made up during the test drive, so I ignored a glaring issue. It is a rough riding car. I can feel (and hear) every crack in the pavement like I'm piloting a go-kart. Each road thump echoes a mild bass throughout the car, causing the need for the stereo to be turned up to mask the road noise. I read that Honda's are known for road noise, but nothing could be this noisy. It corners well, but I'd sacrifice the sport suspension any day for soft & quiet.

The diesel motor is amazing with it's power without having to force downshift. Getting used to driving a turbo is taking more time that I expected. There is a lag when the pedal is 1st pressed. Pulling out into traffic under duress is tricky. Press the pedal but it reacts slowly, so I press harder. Now the turbo kicks and I break traction which triggers the anti slip which momentarily cuts the power and now I'm a sitting duck in the road. All of this happens within a couple seconds as the car lurches. Patience and finesse is needed with the turbo. Fender sound system is nice but slow to boot up. Also, several bass rattles have developed throughout. Great rear seat room.

Heater controls are hard to read. Three buttons control six functions and the picture diagrams are hard to see and are not intuitive. The side mirror control button is lame. My Honda a simple toggle that is flush mounted and much better. Perhaps VW could borrow the design. Door hinge bumps are much too raised and make the door difficult to control. Passengers have to push extra hard to overcome the hinge bump, but that only makes them slam the bejesus out of the door. I've pushed the driver door open to exit only to have it return right back in my face. Seat bolsters. I don't envision the left side of the drivers seat lasting through the years. And where is the front seat tilt?