Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat S PZEV Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

My FAVORITE CAR :)
By Natalie

2012 Volkswagen Passat S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Just purchased this 2012 car with 38K miles. It only had 1 previous owner and that had taken meticulous care of this vehicle. I have never enjoyed commuting in traffic for 60-90 minuets one way every day, however, this car makes me look for reasons to drive it, very smooth ride, amazingly quiet and comfortable and the bluetooth makes all your cares disappear. Absolutely my best purchase in a car EVER! So pleased.

Great solid car!
By Ben

2012 Volkswagen Passat S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Very well solid built car tight steering doesnt shake at all at high speeds just a solid built german car what I expected

2012 VW Passat Quality Issues Are Piling Up!
By prospective

2012 Volkswagen Passat S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had all kinds of minor quality problems with my 2012 Passat... I love the car but VW doesn't do a whole lot to rectify these issues:
1. Seatbelt light and chimes even though my seatbelt is fastened and I'm the only person in the car. VW's lame excuse is that my cell phone is emitting electromagnetic waves that are setting the seatbelt light and chimes off. VW told me not to charge my cell phone in the car and not to get my phone too close to any of the seats. LAME!
2. Front end suspension noise. I has to bring my car in to the dealer twice before they admitted the right front suspension was defective. I had to put the tech guy in my car and roll over speed bumps at low speed before he admitted there was a defect. They have since rectified the problem.
3. Drivers door. The drivers door doesn't close unless you slam it like you are angry. The door should close properly with just the weight of the door. The VW tech told me "You know, everything on a new car doesn't actually work perfectly." Another LAME!
4. Rear trunk lid. Same problem with the rear trunk lid not closing unless you slam it like you are angry. There are scratches on the inside lid latch that show the latch is not aligned properly. Tech response, "All VW's are like this." A third LAME!
5. My brakes squeek in the morning. Eveyday, when leaving my house, my brakes squeek. Tech guy: "Due to the high humidity in the Hawaiian Islands, it's normal for VW brakes to squeek in the morning." Huh, I've leased Hondas for the last 14 years and never had squeeky brakes before. This must be a VW Issue? One more time: LAME!

I really do like this car... It's just annoying that VW refuses to admit there are a lot of quality issues with my specific vehicle. All said, I do have to disclose that my car (according to the manufactures sticker inside the drivers door)rolled off of the assembly line in July 2011 which probably make my vehicle one of the very first models off the line. However, this car doesn't even have 3,000 miles on it yet!

I'm starting to think I have a lemon... If VW offered me a replacement car which was the same color with the exact same features (which wouldn't be difficult as my car is the base model S with a 5 speed manual transmission), I would gladly accept it as once again, I really like this car. It's just not right the way VW has handled my issues. VW, if you are reading this post, I hope you contact me to make this right. My regional case manager is Eric W. and he knows who I am and how you can get in touch with me. In the meantime, If you are considering purchasing or leasing a 2012 VW Passat... Proceed with extreme caution!

Some Irritating Quality Issues!
By prospective

Hey Everybody…

I just leased a 2012 Passat S… Although I absolutely love driving this car, I have noticed some irritating quality issues that VW America needs to be aware of. My Passat is just over a month old and currently has just almost 1,400 miles on it. My irritations are as follows:

1. The seatbelt light and chimes come on even though my seatbelt is fastened and I’m the only person in the car. It’s very frustrating to hear the chime and see the dashboard light illuminated. I’ve pulled over to turn off the car and restart. I’ve unbuckeled and rebuckled. I’ve stopped to get out of the car and start the whole process over and nothing seems to solve this problem. It’s kind of like driving down the highway and having someone ringing your doorbell every 10 seconds. My main concern is that this may be a safety issue?

2. Drivers seat rattles. with only 1,400 miles on this car, Is this a quaility issue? Keep in mind, I’m not a heavy set person. It seems like the seat is just not secured properly. I’m hoping this is a quality issue and not a safety issue.

3. Trunk lid is not aligned properly. I have to slam the trunk lid closed in order for the trunk lid latch to catch. You should be able to gently push the trunk lid closed in order for the latch to secure itself. I also have the same same problem with the drivers side front door. I have to slam it shut or the open door light illuminates. Both of these are frustrating as my wife thiks I’m mad everytime I have to close the door or trunk. These are both very minor quality issues but the liitle issues are starting to add up. And, I’m getting tired of hearing my wife say to me “What’s wrong” everytime we get in the car together.

4. Suspension noise from front and rear corners seems to be getting worse as the days go by. This is especially prevalent at low speeds when rolling over speed bumps or climbing the curb to pull into the driveway of my house. If this were a 1995 Ford Tauras with 120,000 miles on it, I’d be more understanding. But this is a brand new 2012 VW Passat and I expect better from a German car company which touts German Engineering as it’s tag line.

Once again, I love driving this car… The handling, power (I have a 5 speed manual transmission), body style, bluetooth connectivity and generous back seat legroom make this car a beautiful ride. I just hope VW America understands and responds to my concerns to correct these minor but irritating quality issues. Luckily, this is only a 24 month lease, so if VW America choses not to respond to my quality claims, It’s a short term relationship and I can return to a car company like Honda who has a history of solid quality control.

My concern is that after leasing Honda’s over the last 10 years, I’m not used to having to deal with these types pesky quality issues. I understand this 2012 Passat was built in America (which is a big reason why I chose to lease this vehicle), but it seems to have some quality issues that still need to be ironed out.

I’ll be interested to see how VW America responds to these issues… Will they ignore me? Let me know these are normal inconveniences that I need to tolerate, or will VW America correct these issues to make sure I stay a loyal VW owner for years to come? I’m big on long term relationships.

I don’t know the answer to my questions but I’ll make sure to update everyone on how this turns out!

I love driving this car... I just wish I could get VW America to fix my quality issues.

I think VW America will iron out these issues at their brand new manufacturing plant in the US. These are probably isolated issues.

What a car!
By bobthebike

2012 Volkswagen Passat S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Having 9K miles, I just don't have anything negative to say. The mileage is utterly unbelievable as I consistently get 35+ mpg. All the electronics work as advertised and are intuitive. It racks down the road smoothly and quietly. I know the 5 cylinder has been around for awhile, but it has been really refined into a first-class powerplant. Lastly, the fit and finish (especially the paint) of this car is believably world-class. Good job VW!

Gas mileage, fit and finish, and electronics.

Re-style the rear end!