Used 2010 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Transmission shot with only 65K and VW won't help
By hunkajunk

2010 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have had this car for only 6 months, it only has 65K miles on it, and the transmission is shot. VW won't help me because I didn't buy it through a VW dealer. My car is parked, still have payments, and have to somehow come up with 4300 dollars. Don't have it. Fuming...VW needs to stand behind their product, this car is young, I've been totally ripped off...do yourself a favor and don't buy from VW.

Very nice
By oz10tx

2010 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I looked at several used cars before buying this. I was looking at the CC mainly as I felt the two VW models had more value than the other entry level luxury cars (BMW 3 series, MB C Class, Lexus, A4, CTS). I paid about 5-8k less for my passat. I know I gave up some performace but couldn't justify the extra for a little more pep as the speed limit is still 70. This car does cruise at 80 plus very smoothly though and dtill has some power left. I did go with the Passat with the ground effects and this really makes a huge difference on the look of the car. Put the same model side by side and it looks completely different from the more stock Passat. It wasn't really on my list until I found one.

Ground effects as it is the separator from a boring looking Passat to a sporty looking ride. I have gotten the comment from most of my friends about how they never have liked the looks of Passats but do like mine. The cost would be next, then the comfort, rear room for passengers which blows every other car in this category away. I am tall and people behind me don't have to squeeze in and I don't have to scoot up.

Wish they had the all wheel drive but that is minor. Blue tooth audio usually requires another blue tooth connector.

2010 R36 Wagon Perfect Family Wagon
By isihac

2010 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

My second VW (had a W8 wagon last) has given no problems. In New Zealand this car is $45k cheaper than than the 3.0D Audi and comes with all the extras I need. The ESP allows a little four wheel drift fun when seriously provoked but always feels completely in control. Normally driven by my wife with three kids seats in the back it runs around town but still overtakes most anything on the open road in less than 100m

The best seats in any car I have driven (incl $500k Merc and Porche). Twin clutch transmission allows perfect launch everytime while the initial and predictable understeer and the grip of all wheel drive and power of excellent brakes (32m for the 100km/hr to 0km/hr stop) makes it one of the safest cars available, it also has all the airbags and crumple zones should it ever crash. Cheaper to service than my Toyota Hilux.

The faux alloy on the dash can reflect sun into the drivers eyes

Quirky but I love it
By pegnick

2010 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought this car new at the end of its production run. It has 38k now. My previous car was a 2003 Passat. This Passat is bigger and more luxurious than the old design. It is quiet, smooth riding and powerful. It is commanding on the highway. Great for my long legs. Sorry they left off the automatic window closing feature. The quirk is the electronic transmission. It clunks and lurches into first gear. I hated it for a long time. But I love everything else so much that I have come to accept this weird behavior. Mileage is 31 to 33mpg on the highway. Transmission feels european if you like that. I plan to stay with the car a long time.

-smooth and quiet. -powerful. -nice euro feel to the transmission. -lots of leg room. -seat and wheel provide many adjustments (fits short and tall people easily) -great gas mileage -spacious trunk -good visibility

Usual VW problems with lousy cupholders and odd compartments. Clunky starting in first gear on the electronic transmission. Things work differently than other cars. Like electronic brake and other controls. Takes getting used to.

DSG Nightmare
By awd_turbo

2010 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

17,000 miles now, and going in for the fifth time in an attempt to fix the severe hesitation from a complete stop. The rest of the car is great, but the way the transmission works drives me crazy and ruins the whole experience. It's potentially a very dangerous issue if it decides to act up when pulling out into traffic.

Engine performance combined with fuel economy is great.

Even though it would hurt fuel economy, please please please ditch the DSG. It's not ready for prime time.