2009 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Eurostyle wagon experience
By Landon on 04/25/10 10:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I shake my head at all our neighbours driving these hideous SUVs and crossovers that handle like buses and drink fuel like crazy. There are options! This car has way more room than our neighbour's Murano and is a blast to drive! We love manual trannys and this was the only wagon we could get one in. We got a highline with real leather, moonroof, dual climate, satellite radio. Had an Acura TSX before and this is quicker but gets the same mileage. It is also quieter and smoother but the leather and aesthetics were nicer in the Acura.

Brakes Already!!
By Melissa on 03/12/10 15:11 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Completed all maintenance as required. Dec. 2009 had 20k maintenance completed. No issues. Now 3 1/2 months later, 4k miles, rear brakes are grinding! Come to find out there are no sensors/indicators. Questionable if brakes were even checked during maintenance. Tech wasn't required to jot down any numbers/levels when maintenance was done!! 2 days ago was the first time any problems were noticed - grinding already...Friday serviced = $350.00 just to replace pads. I've never had to worry about brakes on any of my previous cars until well over 35k. My 2000 Passat's rear brakes were done around 50k. Tech should have noticed something in Dec, therefore I could have anticipated the charges!

Another great VW
By Robert Clark on 01/27/10 13:28 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have owned several VWs and this is by far the most comfortable on the road. Recently drove 1200 straight through with wonderful comfort. A great ride and fun to drive.

Road warrior
By farfugnugen on 01/13/10 12:45 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car averages 22 city 27 Hwy (@75- 80). If the road is good, the car is great, smooth ride, fairly quiet, excellent feedback and handling. 70 mph no different the 90 mph. If you live where the roads are bad, this car is not for you 70 mph will not be tolerable, lots of road noise, and you will feel each bump. Driver seat is great, IPOD could be better(can't see the songs, only track numbers), radio is better then o,k but not great. JPL. BOSE, infinty much better. Very good with one driver on goods roads or in heavy traffic. I love the electronic break, so you can relieve foot pressure with stop and go traffic. 30,000 mile a year road warrior,the seat is the second best I've had. 8k mile

Passat Family
By David on 12/30/09 02:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My wife has a 2002 model with 140000 miles that appealed to me more than my 2001 Camry which is simply reliable transportation with nothing extra. I looked at all of the 2009 Models (Camry, Accord, TL, Altima, etc.), and I was sold. The Passat has more standard features than the loaded Altima and Camry. I have averaged over 27 mpg for the first 10k miles which were mostly highway. The gas mileage in city driving is closer to 18 because I like the turbo. This car really feels a step above its major competitors (Camry, Accord and Altima) without the extra cost of a comparably equipped model (if the competition even offers the features). VW seemed more willing to negotiate on price

Fun
By EJScott on 12/26/09 13:21 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This has been a great car. Love the size of the trunk and the power tail gate great. The leatherette is actually really nice feeling. The engine can really pull this car if you step on the gas.

Bluemotion 2.0 liter Diesel
By finlander on 12/11/09 23:15 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I wish I could bring this car back to the USA with me. With 50+ MPG, it is incredible. Engine fairly quiet. Service after 10K is way too long

new Passat
By rvfool on 12/01/09 13:34 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just got the car. Surprise by the power. Fun to drive but wife having problem with turbo and a lead foot. I had a 05 TDI Passat before. This is bigger. Miss the mileage of the diesel. Tires are expensive because of the 17" wheels and they are a summer thead. Needed snow right away. Comfortable and a better car for me than the CC. Did not like the low roof, rear view mirror or performance of the CC. There is a lot of leg room front and back. Wish it had blue tooth, homelink, and memory seats.

German Engineering at Japanese Pricing
By skyhawk182 on 11/17/09 16:38 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Admittedly have only driven the car 6K miles, but must say, am more than pleased. Well thought out with ever so many clever features that make car seem like it knows you. Sweetest engine I've driven - excellent power due to great low end torgue via turbo charger. Rides like on rails, yet seems like larger luxury ride. One needs to keep an eye on options (can escalate pricing rapidly) and bargain aggressively - with that in mind, pricing is quite attractive and competitive.

Almost perfection
By spidaman on 11/01/09 08:18 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Passat Komfort Wagon offers a wonderful balance of design, performance, comfort and safety. We traded down from an 04 Touareg, and have not been disappointed by the fit and finish of this vehicle. The sole Achilles Heel is the powerplant. While peppy and enjoyable on the highway (especially when passing), there is significant turbo lag, especially compared to our other driver, a Saab 9-3 with the same size 2.0 L turbo-charged engine. Additionally, the mileage is not nearly as good as the Saab's, and gear selection in this automatic could be better tuned. The VW shines on design, fit and finish. The leg well is a bit narrow, but seats are comfortable, and leads to a fine day drive.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Passat in VA is:

$141 per month*