Used 2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

Komfort 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Dont buy this if its cold or snowy
By gheater

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car cant move in 1" of snow. Brand new tires put on 11/12, and i cant make it up my driveway, or my small hill to my house. I had a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am that did this with zero problem with more snow on the ground. Also, the windshield wiper motors will freeze as soon as its under 20 degrees outside. Not a great feeling when the wipers dont work and its snowy/icy. Car is great in the spring - fall. Or get one in Arizona. Pissed that a German company makes a car with such bad performance in cold weather. Will trade it in as soon as possible.

100K Mile and still going strong
By mj48

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car new for my wife and have never had any but normal wear and tear issues. Living in a snowy climate I did have to change the tires but other than that a great car. Performance is great. It has a good ride and a lot of standard features. I chose this car over Toyota and Honda.

Favorite Features

2.0 Turbo,

reliability issues but great car besides that
By jpl15

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Edmunds review is spot on. The car is fun to drive, sporty and yet very comfortable. I love this car, but within two months it has broke down on me twice to include a fuel pressure regulator and a water pump. Luckily it was certified pre owned so out of pocket costs were minimal. I take great care of this car and maintenance it myself every 5000 miles with synthetic oil and have already replaced air cleaner. Hard to enjoy the car if it will keep breaking down and im only at 55000 miles. Plenty of room in the back with 2 kids and the trunk is huge. I can fit large strollers among other things.

Favorite Features

interior, engine power, smooth ride and handling

Suggested Improvements

road noise is awful and reliability issues

For New Models
By DFt Lauderdale

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For a car listed for 29k a middle of the road final product. I have rattles in the dash area from one end to the other. The dealer can't fix. The light interior color on areas where dirty shoes will come in contact are impossible to clean. Like lower doors and where speakers are placed which also will be damaged when someone gets in and presses there shoe to hold the door open or just scrape when getting in or out. I do not drive much so not hampered by bad gas mileage. But for a four it's a nice car.

Favorite Features

Good interior finish. Can move when you press the gas.

Suggested Improvements

Cleanable areas where foot and hand contact occur.

Great Car
By sconner69

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is the first "new" car we have ever bought, We purchased it in April 2010 however it was a 2009 Demo so not really brand new. Anyway it had just at 5K miles on it when we purchased and since then we have driven about 23K miles. We have had not had any mechanical issues with the car. I like others would have really liked memory seats. As I am 6'5" and y wife is 5'6" so we are always changing the seat. The 2.0L Turbo has amazing power and we average about 24mpg I have gotten 35mpg on the highway driving at 55 and really trying to get the best milage. Overall the car has been quite nice.

Favorite Features

Love the power that little 4 cylinder engine puts out. Love the auto hold feature. The stereo is very nice, the trunk is nice and roomy, and we really like the looks of this Passat. Heated seats are great, and the fit and finish is really nice, no rattles, no annoyances. This is our 2nd Passat, the first was a TDI and we really miss the TDI fuel milage, but since both of our Passats have been great vehicles we will trade up to the 2012 TDI to get the fuel milage back.

Suggested Improvements

I can think of just a few things to improve upon, buy better tires to sell on your cars VW at 27K miles ours are shot. I said it earlier, memory seats. Some sort of "sync" system would also be nice. Those three things would have gotten all 5's from me. Instead VW you got three 4's in my review.