2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Komfort 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )
100K Mile and still going strong
By mj48 on 06/20/13 12:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car new for my wife and have never had any but normal wear and tear issues. Living in a snowy climate I did have to change the tires but other than that a great car. Performance is great. It has a good ride and a lot of standard features. I chose this car over Toyota and Honda.

reliability issues but great car besides that
By jpl15 on 02/22/13 07:31 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Edmunds review is spot on. The car is fun to drive, sporty and yet very comfortable. I love this car, but within two months it has broke down on me twice to include a fuel pressure regulator and a water pump. Luckily it was certified pre owned so out of pocket costs were minimal. I take great care of this car and maintenance it myself every 5000 miles with synthetic oil and have already replaced air cleaner. Hard to enjoy the car if it will keep breaking down and im only at 55000 miles. Plenty of room in the back with 2 kids and the trunk is huge. I can fit large strollers among other things.

Dont buy this if its cold or snowy
By gheater on 01/16/13 13:29 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car cant move in 1" of snow. Brand new tires put on 11/12, and i cant make it up my driveway, or my small hill to my house. I had a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am that did this with zero problem with more snow on the ground. Also, the windshield wiper motors will freeze as soon as its under 20 degrees outside. Not a great feeling when the wipers dont work and its snowy/icy. Car is great in the spring - fall. Or get one in Arizona. Pissed that a German company makes a car with such bad performance in cold weather. Will trade it in as soon as possible.

Great Car
By sconner69 on 06/24/11 10:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is the first "new" car we have ever bought, We purchased it in April 2010 however it was a 2009 Demo so not really brand new. Anyway it had just at 5K miles on it when we purchased and since then we have driven about 23K miles. We have had not had any mechanical issues with the car. I like others would have really liked memory seats. As I am 6'5" and y wife is 5'6" so we are always changing the seat. The 2.0L Turbo has amazing power and we average about 24mpg I have gotten 35mpg on the highway driving at 55 and really trying to get the best milage. Overall the car has been quite nice.

For New Models
By DFt Lauderdale on 08/17/10 10:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For a car listed for 29k a middle of the road final product. I have rattles in the dash area from one end to the other. The dealer can't fix. The light interior color on areas where dirty shoes will come in contact are impossible to clean. Like lower doors and where speakers are placed which also will be damaged when someone gets in and presses there shoe to hold the door open or just scrape when getting in or out. I do not drive much so not hampered by bad gas mileage. But for a four it's a nice car.

Brakes Already!!
By Melissa on 03/12/10 15:11 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Completed all maintenance as required. Dec. 2009 had 20k maintenance completed. No issues. Now 3 1/2 months later, 4k miles, rear brakes are grinding! Come to find out there are no sensors/indicators. Questionable if brakes were even checked during maintenance. Tech wasn't required to jot down any numbers/levels when maintenance was done!! 2 days ago was the first time any problems were noticed - grinding already...Friday serviced = $350.00 just to replace pads. I've never had to worry about brakes on any of my previous cars until well over 35k. My 2000 Passat's rear brakes were done around 50k. Tech should have noticed something in Dec, therefore I could have anticipated the charges!

Another great VW
By Robert Clark on 01/27/10 13:28 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have owned several VWs and this is by far the most comfortable on the road. Recently drove 1200 straight through with wonderful comfort. A great ride and fun to drive.

Road warrior
By farfugnugen on 01/13/10 12:45 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car averages 22 city 27 Hwy (@75- 80). If the road is good, the car is great, smooth ride, fairly quiet, excellent feedback and handling. 70 mph no different the 90 mph. If you live where the roads are bad, this car is not for you 70 mph will not be tolerable, lots of road noise, and you will feel each bump. Driver seat is great, IPOD could be better(can't see the songs, only track numbers), radio is better then o,k but not great. JPL. BOSE, infinty much better. Very good with one driver on goods roads or in heavy traffic. I love the electronic break, so you can relieve foot pressure with stop and go traffic. 30,000 mile a year road warrior,the seat is the second best I've had. 8k mile

Passat Family
By David on 12/30/09 02:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My wife has a 2002 model with 140000 miles that appealed to me more than my 2001 Camry which is simply reliable transportation with nothing extra. I looked at all of the 2009 Models (Camry, Accord, TL, Altima, etc.), and I was sold. The Passat has more standard features than the loaded Altima and Camry. I have averaged over 27 mpg for the first 10k miles which were mostly highway. The gas mileage in city driving is closer to 18 because I like the turbo. This car really feels a step above its major competitors (Camry, Accord and Altima) without the extra cost of a comparably equipped model (if the competition even offers the features). VW seemed more willing to negotiate on price

new Passat
By rvfool on 12/01/09 13:34 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just got the car. Surprise by the power. Fun to drive but wife having problem with turbo and a lead foot. I had a 05 TDI Passat before. This is bigger. Miss the mileage of the diesel. Tires are expensive because of the 17" wheels and they are a summer thead. Needed snow right away. Comfortable and a better car for me than the CC. Did not like the low roof, rear view mirror or performance of the CC. There is a lot of leg room front and back. Wish it had blue tooth, homelink, and memory seats.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan in VA is:

$141 per month*