2009 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
100K Mile and still going strong
By mj48 on 06/20/13 12:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car new for my wife and have never had any but normal wear and tear issues. Living in a snowy climate I did have to change the tires but other than that a great car. Performance is great. It has a good ride and a lot of standard features. I chose this car over Toyota and Honda.

reliability issues but great car besides that
By jpl15 on 02/22/13 07:31 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Edmunds review is spot on. The car is fun to drive, sporty and yet very comfortable. I love this car, but within two months it has broke down on me twice to include a fuel pressure regulator and a water pump. Luckily it was certified pre owned so out of pocket costs were minimal. I take great care of this car and maintenance it myself every 5000 miles with synthetic oil and have already replaced air cleaner. Hard to enjoy the car if it will keep breaking down and im only at 55000 miles. Plenty of room in the back with 2 kids and the trunk is huge. I can fit large strollers among other things.

Dont buy this if its cold or snowy
By gheater on 01/16/13 13:29 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car cant move in 1" of snow. Brand new tires put on 11/12, and i cant make it up my driveway, or my small hill to my house. I had a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am that did this with zero problem with more snow on the ground. Also, the windshield wiper motors will freeze as soon as its under 20 degrees outside. Not a great feeling when the wipers dont work and its snowy/icy. Car is great in the spring - fall. Or get one in Arizona. Pissed that a German company makes a car with such bad performance in cold weather. Will trade it in as soon as possible.

By mbehn on 10/28/11 08:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Follow up to review last year. Car is not 2+ years old with 39K Miles. Runs beautifully, with one recall for a switch, one service for a loose A/C condensation hose - both free of charge. Still as tight and sweet as when purchased, and the Perellis are still in great shape. So far, so good!

Great Car, Great Value, More room than monster SUVs
By ray4now on 07/26/11 14:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've owned mine since June /09. I was skeptical at first - somewhat odd looks, VW reputation for marginal reliability, not all the luxury I really wanted. However on test drive changed that. The 2.0L turbo engine is fantastic - quick, responsive, pulls very hard when you mash the throttle. The 6 speed transmission is mated perfectly to it and is smooth and accurate in shifts. So far, so good. I've got 36K+ miles of mostly highway driving and no breakdowns/strands/failed starts. No maintenance costs either with first 2 years covered. Some trim pieces have broken due to little kiddie fingers. I would highly recommend this car for anyone looking for an alternative to ridiculously oversized SUV

Great Car
By sconner69 on 06/24/11 10:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is the first "new" car we have ever bought, We purchased it in April 2010 however it was a 2009 Demo so not really brand new. Anyway it had just at 5K miles on it when we purchased and since then we have driven about 23K miles. We have had not had any mechanical issues with the car. I like others would have really liked memory seats. As I am 6'5" and y wife is 5'6" so we are always changing the seat. The 2.0L Turbo has amazing power and we average about 24mpg I have gotten 35mpg on the highway driving at 55 and really trying to get the best milage. Overall the car has been quite nice.

Great German Car
By mbehn on 12/23/10 09:43 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have had this '09 since 8/09. It runs flawlessly and is a very enjoyable family sedan. Storage is HUGE, performance is tight and torque is excellent. High end smooth comfortable ride with great control. Most of the benefits of Audi w/o price tag. Great bargains to be had (this one was $5K off sticker). No, not as cheap as a Camry or Honda, but much more style, class and fun to drive. This car is a sleeper and soon to be changed and produced in Mexico - it's a buy.

Great thus far
By fmrporscheguy on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have had this car for a full 3 months, and it's met or exceeded my expectations. So far no unscheduled trips to the dealership, which is good. Being that this is a "performance" German car, you have to know it will need regular maintenance. The engine is adequate, though not at all inspiring. Does a decent job of moving along when pushed. Int design is very nice. Leatherette works great w/o worry of ruining it with wet beach shorts, sun damage, or regular wear and tear (look at pics of older models and seats still look new). Center tunnel is a tad narrow and would be nice if it were carpeted. I think ext looks nicer than Passat sedan. Audi-esque front grill is great!

For New Models
By DFt Lauderdale on 08/17/10 10:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For a car listed for 29k a middle of the road final product. I have rattles in the dash area from one end to the other. The dealer can't fix. The light interior color on areas where dirty shoes will come in contact are impossible to clean. Like lower doors and where speakers are placed which also will be damaged when someone gets in and presses there shoe to hold the door open or just scrape when getting in or out. I do not drive much so not hampered by bad gas mileage. But for a four it's a nice car.

Extremely Unreliable
By lee on 07/07/10 16:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car is stylish, but unfortunately seems to break down frequently. I have under 30,000 miles and have had the throttle body replaced, throttle body wiring, and steering column replaced. It has left me stranded 5 times. Probably the least reliable car I have ever owned. I'm totally bummed I have a 4 year 60,000 mile lease, it's a horrible car

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Passat in VA is:

$141 per month*