Used 2009 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

100K Mile and still going strong
By mj48

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car new for my wife and have never had any but normal wear and tear issues. Living in a snowy climate I did have to change the tires but other than that a great car. Performance is great. It has a good ride and a lot of standard features. I chose this car over Toyota and Honda.

2.0 Turbo,

reliability issues but great car besides that
By jpl15

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Edmunds review is spot on. The car is fun to drive, sporty and yet very comfortable. I love this car, but within two months it has broke down on me twice to include a fuel pressure regulator and a water pump. Luckily it was certified pre owned so out of pocket costs were minimal. I take great care of this car and maintenance it myself every 5000 miles with synthetic oil and have already replaced air cleaner. Hard to enjoy the car if it will keep breaking down and im only at 55000 miles. Plenty of room in the back with 2 kids and the trunk is huge. I can fit large strollers among other things.

interior, engine power, smooth ride and handling

road noise is awful and reliability issues

Dont buy this if its cold or snowy
By gheater

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car cant move in 1" of snow. Brand new tires put on 11/12, and i cant make it up my driveway, or my small hill to my house. I had a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am that did this with zero problem with more snow on the ground. Also, the windshield wiper motors will freeze as soon as its under 20 degrees outside. Not a great feeling when the wipers dont work and its snowy/icy. Car is great in the spring - fall. Or get one in Arizona. Pissed that a German company makes a car with such bad performance in cold weather. Will trade it in as soon as possible.

By mbehn

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Follow up to review last year. Car is not 2+ years old with 39K Miles. Runs beautifully, with one recall for a switch, one service for a loose A/C condensation hose - both free of charge. Still as tight and sweet as when purchased, and the Perellis are still in great shape. So far, so good!

Great Car, Great Value, More room than monster SUVs
By ray4now

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've owned mine since June /09. I was skeptical at first - somewhat odd looks, VW reputation for marginal reliability, not all the luxury I really wanted. However on test drive changed that. The 2.0L turbo engine is fantastic - quick, responsive, pulls very hard when you mash the throttle. The 6 speed transmission is mated perfectly to it and is smooth and accurate in shifts. So far, so good. I've got 36K+ miles of mostly highway driving and no breakdowns/strands/failed starts. No maintenance costs either with first 2 years covered. Some trim pieces have broken due to little kiddie fingers. I would highly recommend this car for anyone looking for an alternative to ridiculously oversized SUV

Without a doubt, the power tailgate is the best feature here. Always a lifesaver when I have my hands full returning from the store. SAT stereo is good, seats excellent for long drives, interior fit and finish is good.

iPOD integration needs improvement - very limited functionality and no charging while plugged in - what??