Excessively Burning Oil
By Andrew on
2008 Volkswagen Passat Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I purchased a used VW Passat with 19k miles. At one point, I checked the oil dip stick and discovered the engine consummed 2 quarts of full synthetic oil in approximately 4900 miles. I approached the dealer and I was told this is normal for this engine. In fact, the service person stated, I should consider myself lucky, others are burning more! With no help from the dealer, I called the 800 VW number (March of 2010). As a solution,VW staff stated I could go to the dealer, have them change the oil, and return within the 6k oil change interval and at that time,(and at my cost) the dealer would weigh the oil and determine if I was within VW's standard.
Favorite Features
The car has good features, especially the interior room, However, the burning of oil at this rate (1 quart per 1200 miles) will reduce the life of the exhaust system, the catalyic converter and the turbo. Speak to a person who rebuilds engines for a living, I did!
Suggested Improvements
VW, needs to fix the problem. Look at the exhaust pipe. If its very black and sooty, you are burning oil. Another way to tell, (assuming your parking spots does not show and oil leak) run the engine witn the car in park and hit the gas...you will see a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust.