2008 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Burning Oil

2008 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

Komfort Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

Burning Oil
By discouraged3 on

2008 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Passat Komfort new 2008 and was very excited because I had just traded a 2007 Passat Wolfburg limited edition with no problems. After driving this 2008 passat for 50,000 the vehicle engine shut down engine light came on and I stop to checked the oil and the oil stick was dry. The vehicle was towed to the dealership because I was told not to drive it and they said the vehicle had oil but not reading on the stick and the car only get around 600 miles to a quart. now i have to check the oil often before the oil changes. The car now in 2011 is buring oil as fast as I add oil. It make me sick to know I paid 30,000 for a vehicle and now have to check the oil during every fill up.

Favorite Features

Seats, electronic features, the back and side manual sun visor screen.

Suggested Improvements

Oil consumption, automatic sun visor screen. Noisey tire roaring on the higway
By rbc303
on 01/11/13 13:24 PM (PST)

Same problem here, 2008 Passat sedan. Took it several time to dealer, they don't know what could be wrong. I will have to start checking oil on a weekly basis

By tucucina
on 08/01/12 14:37 PM (PDT)

We have the 2008 Wagon Passat and we're having the same oil problem. Ugh.

By colleenm
on 06/27/12 05:23 AM (PDT)

I have a 2008 VW Passat too and this is exactly what I'm going thru. I'm so sick of adding a quart of oil every 3-4 weeks and the VW place can't find anything wrong. I'm looking for a new car but right now I don't know what to buy and I don't have enough money saved. This is so frustrating.

By tiffanyrenee
on 03/06/14 05:08 AM (PST)

I had the same problem, I bought the car used in 2011 with 49,000 miles on it. I took it to my local VW dealer and they had me start an oil consumption test. They found that my car was using an excessive amount of oil. VW repaired it free of charge under warranty I believe my service advisor said it was a $3000 job. There were a list of things they had to do. I can honestly say it worked.